The long road to Big Bend National Park

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I've finally been able to confirm with the powers that be that I will be able to head out in the direction of Big Bend National Park just after Thanksgiving. Plan to head straight south to near the border and stay as far south (and warm) as possible. Only stop in the plan so far is Organ Pipe NM. Suggestions appreciated!

Sounds great, DD!
How long do you plan to be "wandering"?

Though I love the Sonoran Desert, I'm not an expert on that far south -- not like others here.
However, I have camped at Organ Pipe twice, and I love it there! Have you been there before? Alamo Canyon is the campsite for folks like us -- "no motorhomes or trailers permitted". Earlier this year I sent an e-mail to the Park and asked "What about pickup campers at Alamo?". They said "Yes! Permitted!".
smile.gif

Have you been to Big Bend before? I've been once and loved it.

Most of this will be new to me. I haven't been to Big Bend, Organ Pipe, or most points in between. Looking forward to discovering new territory!

I'm confirmed for two weeks. Will probably try to stretch it out a bit. I hear there are a lot of breakdowns in that part of the world.

Check out Big Bend Ranch State Park, along the river East of Presidio. Other points to look at Bahlmorhea State Park off I10, huge natural spring corralled into a giant swimming pool, Davis Mountains, Prada by Valentine :LOL: , Guadalupe Mtns for hiking, also a lot of backroads West of there. In Big Bend all the backcountry sites are first come first served by visiting the rangers at Panther Junction, some are readily accessible, others take some time to get to, all are pretty private. Only hike-in camping at White Sands NM, interesting BLM campground on the East side of the Organ Mountains over looking the missile range. If coming from Organ Pipe (nice loop road) might think about crossing over the Chiricahua Mtns and the National Monument. They were hit hard by fire this year but if no snow the road should be open. The campground on top was destroyed by fire, will be chilly up that high, but plenty of boondock sites and probably few if any people around. If your in Las Cruces you can park at my place or a mile behind out on the edge of the Dona Ana Mtns. I'll think of more.

Let me know if you get to Tucson.
There's room at the Inn and were always good for a meal and a place to rest and clean up.

I bet you're going to like the geology of Big Bend. It's a cool place.

Barko has a good list, of course. Although it is very touristy, Carlsbad Caverns NP is still worth a visit, if you've never been there. There is BLM land for free camping outside the NP to the east.

I haven't been to the Chiricahuas since the Horseshoe Two fire, but I know that most of the NF and NM areas were involved. The campground in Chiricahua NM is listed as open, as are the trails, but not the scenic drive.

If you happen to stray into the Sacramento Mountains, I would be happy to give you a tour of Apache Point Observatory. It'll be cold up here, though, which it sounds like you are trying to avoid. Come to think of it, it might be cold even at the lower elevations, but hopefully warmer than Bend.

BTW Big Bend can get cold, I've camped by the river in December and woke up to 9 degrees. Usually the low elevations are very nice, averages high 60's with lows near freezing. Higher elevations stay a bit cooler of course but not quite as cold in the morning. Snow can be possible in the Chisos, very pretty if it happens but not a big chance. One of the best things about Big Bend is that the mountains top at 7800' and the river is at 1800', plenty of variety. I'll head down there in January or February, busy during holidays.

Barko, MarkBC and Highz all have good suggestions. The NP CG at Chiricahua is very nice and the trails that start there make for good hikes.

You might consider visiting Saguaro NP for interesting country, hiking and biking, however, no camping right in the park, though.

North of Tucson are the Santa Catalina Mts where you can find dispersed camping and good hiking near the top of Mt Lemmon. Depending, it might be snowy and cold but the road up the peak is a great bike ride. Lower some NF CGs might still be open. Sabino Canyon is lowest and close to town, with great hiking.

South of Tucson, just east of Green Valley you will find Madera Canyon, below Mt Wrightson, which has a nice little FS CG, hiking trails and mountain bike trails. Bring your binoculars if you like birds.

As Barko says, White Sands only has pack-in camping, but that too can be interesting. I just parked my All Terrain Camper and walked in 2 or 3 miles with a light pack and put my tent up in the middle of nowhere.
gallery_172_60_214572.jpg

To the east of White Sands there is Oliver Lee State Park (showers!) and a tiny BLM CG at Three Rivers Petroglyphs and a large BLM CG at Valley of Fire NE of Carrizozo.

When do you start your trip, DD?

As Barko says, White Sands only has pack-in camping, but that too can be interesting. I just parked my All Terrain Camper and walked in 2 or 3 miles with a light pack and put my tent up in the middle of nowhere.
gallery_172_60_214572.jpg

Stew, is that snow or are the Sands really that White?

Hmmm....OK, I see the mountains in the background are bare, so I guess that must be sand.

Hmmm....OK, I see the mountains in the background are bare, so I guess that must be sand.

Yes, Mark, the sand is that white . . . snow white one could say.

Camping there is pretty cool but dining seems to involve digesting some of that white stuff.

BLM has some nice backcountry byways in AZ, just NE of Safford http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/autotour/black_hills.html

If you are into Geology or just big holes in the ground, never done it but you could camp on the rim: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilbourne_Hole

Yes, Mark, the sand is that white . . . snow white one could say.

Wow...it looks like you're camped in a polar region!

Back
Top Bottom