The Master Plan

CrawPappy

Greetings all, I'm a long-time lurker and first-time poster. Great forums here. :cool:

I'm plotting, schemeing, and planning--looking for ideas from the masters on the site here!

So, I have an 2004 GMC 1500, no camper. I want a FWC or ATC.

Whaddya think of this plan? Sell the GMC and get TWO used trucks and a camper. Truck 1- 3/4 ton (Dodge?), Truck 2-a Toyota Tacoma. Put the camper on the 3/4 and leave it on, drive the Taco around for my "lite" truck needs.

Why? Won't have to load and unload camper every time I want to use the truck bed-ready to camp anytime, 3/4 hauls camper well, but won't actually be driven very often. Taco gets good mileage, is reliable, and has good resale. Two used trucks can be had for the price of a new one.

Looking for input, or twists on the theme from the masters here. Don't want to start a whole big tuck debate thang, but what do you think of Dodge vs. Chevy vs. Ford for a 3/4, any motors or years to avoid? Also long bed vs shot bed on the 3/4 (and the camper that sits on it of course). I would probably get an extended cab at least for a place for the pooches to ride. Wife, no kids, 3 dogs.

It's a good plan :) I have a mostly dedicated truck/camper setup and an FJ Cruiser for daily driving. I plan to eventually equip the FJ for off-road expeditions that are too rough for the truck and camper.

I'm a fan of Ford but the F250's with the 6.0 diesel engines have been notoriously problematic. That said, you are going to here from some guys here on the board that have the 6.0 liter engine and have had no trouble. They aren't all bad but I wouldn't want to roll the dice on that engine. The Ford v8 Triton engines are very good but poor mileage and small gas tanks on the short bed models result in very poor range. I got an aftermarket fuel tank for my F250 and I am very happy with the setup now.

As for the long vs short bed - its all about how much off road you want to do vs how much room you want in the camper. A long bed truck with an extended cab is going to be more difficult to maneuver on windy jeep roads. If you don't need the extended cab, I think the regular cab with the long bed (like Marc has) is almost the ideal setup. Now if only we could get that with cab-through access to the camper then we would really have a rig worth talking about :)

I once planned for a two truck system but I do have a car also. it was not cost affective for two trucks on the miles I drive 5k a year.here are a few things I thought of. insurance on two rigs,two trucks to maintain,two sets of tires,two oil changes etc. also seems when one vehicle does not move for any length of time the tires seem to crack faster the weight on them and other items on truck have a non use breakdown.I know it sounds weird but true.I money that was not spent on these double items I use for my outdoor fun etc. just some things to think about,just get out there any way you can and enjoy!

It's a good plan :) I have a mostly dedicated truck/camper setup and an FJ Cruiser for daily driving. I plan to eventually never equip the FJ for off-road expeditions because nothing is that are too rough for the truck and camper.

Fixed that for you, DD.

I think that is an excellent idea. I have a 05 Dodge 4X4 2500 CTD. I bought the long bed because I may someday switch to a hard side camper. And I do not want to switch trucks every time I buy a new camper. If I was going to buy a truck solely dedicated to a FWC or ATC I would highly recommend the short bed. The long bed does restrict some trails from being taken, such as the recently posted Lippincott in DV.
You lose some storage with the short bed but not enough to make a difference.

I recently sold a Jeep TJ and bought a Ford Ranger for my daily driver. I call it the Honey-Do truck. Since I live in "the house of a thousand projects" this has worked well for me.

As to which truck and which years are the best, well that is up to you to make the decision since you're the one that has to live with it. My personal opinion is any Dodge from 05 to 07 with the 5.9 CTD would be a good choice. Most years of GM and Ford with the gasoline engines would be good picks. I don't know enough about the Power Stroke or the Duramax to comment on them so I won't. Talk to owners to get a first hand idea as to their reliability. I have gone up to strangers in parking lots to talk to them about their trucks and have gotten good responses. Hope this helps.

Mike

I use the 3 truck system, I started with an F150 4.6 gas long bed and put a Grandby on that. Worked but not enough motor for Western Mtns and winds so I bought a 99 F250 with a low mileage (110k) 7.3 diesel. I added a DP tuner and never worry about hills or towing and the camper never really leaves the truck. I also have a Ranger that is the around town truck. For me the long bed works, with the extended cab, two humans and 4 pooches. I'm in the process of ripping out the couch and making it into a dinette for more useable space. Like DD said size depends on usage. My long bed extended with Granby has made it over Cinnamon Pass no problem, Stony Pass all the way to 149 (stupid but...) up to Clear Lake outside of Silverton (needed several backups to negotiate the tight turns), and through the Red Mountain mining district trails. But it is BIG. But I also spend 60 or 70 nights in it each year. The Ford 7.3 is solid.

Welcome BobbyB. We ended up going with that plan. After we put the camper on the truck, we really missed having it handy for trips to Home depot, the nursery, hauling stuff, etc. Ended up buying a Tacoma. We went with a four door for those times when there would be more than two of us. You are wise to think of this ahead of time. If you use your truck as a truck often now, then go with the Master Plan.

Why not get a trailer? Probably cheaper, and would work for Home Depot, dump, etc.

I've seen them at Lowes for $500 that would probably work fine for around town.

My 2007 6.0 doesn't have many miles, but it's been fine. That said, diesel is overkill for the camper. 3/4 ton V8 gasser would work just fine for a camper.

The two truck system is the only way to go in my opinion.

(Actually two trucks, two cars, two motorcycles, and a van if you want to get specific.)

But you get the idea.

I have the truck & camper and a small trailer available to hitch up if needed and the camper is on the truck. For daily driving (60mi a day) I bought a cheap toyota echo that gets me 36mpg.

Hey guys, thanks for largely validating the big plan! Now I have no choice but to implement. ;)

Just have to sell some stuff, free up some cash, and locate the camper and trucks.

also a newbie
definately get an extended cab and make sure the passenger's side seat reclines. The dealers don't always comprehend this so test it. Then one person can drive and the other can snooze. It's great!!

Back
Top Bottom