the next rally?

DD:

Anyone interested in a spring trip to Dug bar in Hells canyon? Good for us Northwest types who will need some sun and warmth by then.
Definitely remote enough for most.

Just a thought as I have been itching to go back.

Dave in Seattle

We are curious if there would be much interest in a rally for 2wd trucks? You can Wander many areas in the West without needing 4WD. Are there some of you out there that don't usually chime in that would be interested in something like this. We could call it the "No Body Damage, No Liver Damage Tour". :LOL:

I enjoy the opportunity to drive roads I wouldn't normally take and develop my off-road skills when with a group, but most of our solo wandering never goes into four wheel drive. Even though our campers are designed to handle off road, many owners use them in campgrounds only. We're just wondering if there would be a group that would want to do a non-challenging but still exploring trip.

We are curious if there would be much interest in a rally for 2wd trucks? You can Wander many areas in the West without needing 4WD. Are there some of you out there that don't usually chime in that would be interested in something like this. We could call it the "No Body Damage, No Liver Damage Tour". :LOL:

I enjoy the opportunity to drive roads I wouldn't normally take and develop my off-road skills when with a group, but most of our solo wandering never goes into four wheel drive. Even though our campers are designed to handle off road, many owners use them in campgrounds only. We're just wondering if there would be a group that would want to do a non-challenging but still exploring trip.

Most of the pictures I've seen from the rallies leaned towards not needing 4wd from my couch perspective. As long as you're not dealing with really steep or wet/muddy then 2wd is generally good to go, ground clearance is usually a bigger issue. That said even if there are a couple trickier spots for 2wd as long as you're with other vehicles a quick tug from a tow strap will usually fix most of those issues.

I've got the kid in the mix but if something goes down within striking distance of Seattle I'd definately put serious thought into going (would need to look at solo verse bringing the wife/young'n, etc.)

This from the guy that attempted to exit Soldier Meadows via High Rock Canyon :D

This from the guy that attempted to exit Soldier Meadows via High Rock Canyon

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the rallies we have done and look forward to doing more. I'm just saying that all the rallies so far have involved some off roading and usually some enhancements to our paint jobs. There are a number of camper owners out there that don't have a 4wd or prefer to stick with good roads and campgrounds. I'm wondering if we are excluding a section of the group that may want to do a rally but a much more tame one.

So far I've only been on one outing with DD and I've sustained both Body and Liver Damage. Can a WtW rally really be done without both?

So far I've only been on one outing with DD and I've sustained both Body and Liver Damage. Can a WtW rally really be done without both?

Not a chance!

You even managed to damage your camper. Twice. You sir are rally pro! :D

You even managed to damage your camper. Twice. You sir are rally pro! :D

That's right! Body, camper, and liver damage. But at least I didn't get lost in High Rock Canyon.

But at least I didn't get lost in High Rock Canyon.

Technically, I was not lost. I was on the road, it just happened to be underwater at the time.

Having spent most of the summer in the Gila Hot Springs area here in New Mexico, I am aware of a lot of 2WD accessible campgrounds that offer opportunities to backpack into the wilderness, visit hot springs via hikes, take horseback trips into some really rugged wilderness, or just sit in your chair and enjoy the scenery. There are also mining towns to visit. The question is if there are WTW members who want this kind of experience. I am sure there are places closer to the California area (home to many WTW members) that offer a similar variety of activities that might interest folks wanting to do a rally type thing. More trouble to plan, perhaps. Perhaps a theme rally?

How about the North Rim?

North Rim as in Tuweep/Toroweap?
I've been to Tuweep/Toroweap many years ago, and it's on my short list for return visits.
A kinda-remote section of the GC North Rim. Very cool and out of the way: at the end of ~ 60 miles of gravel -- 2wd gravel, by the way. Nearby is a trail that goes down to river level, right near the huge and famous Lava Rapids.
Photos below I shot from the edge of the Toroweap campground.

9405-002.jpg

9405-006.jpg

9405-007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom