The old bag has had it!

jkidd said:
I use a Cabelas Mountain Trapper 0 degree
http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/pyp-mountain-trapper-sleeping-bags|/pc/105625080/c/243161280/cabela-s-mountain-trapper-0-176-f-sleeping-bag/2220696.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMountain-Trapper-Sleeping-Bags%2F243161280.uts

Plenty of room in it and nice and warm. When it gets down in the 20s I add a fleece sleeping bag inside and stay nice and warm in the boat or the trailer.
I have a similar bag the Magnum 44
It makes winter camping in Canada a dream.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Magnum-deg-F-Sleeping-Bag/2263942.uts

I think it might be too warm of a sleeping bag for a lot of people (unless you like sleeping warm).
It's a -20F bag.

Very roomy though. At 6'3" and a big dude, it's the first bag I can comfortable sleep in zipped up. I can turn over in it many times a night and remain comfortable. My feet don't feel claustrophobic and constricted either, usually this is the biggest thing that drives me nuts with a sleeping bag. I certainly don't want to sleep with my toes straight out like a ballerina.

I'm due to wash it for the first time. It says that machine washing voids the warranty and to wash it by hand. I've read that others online machine wash synthetic bags but ONLY in front load washing machines.

Does anybody have experience on washing synthetic bags and care to share....
The main thing I want to do is wash odors out of the bag and I don't feel like hand washing a huge sleeping bag.

Thx

I use the Teton sports 7 in 1 bag. Most versatile bag on the planet. Has everything you are asking for and more. Only drawback is it's pretty bulky.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

That Teton 7 system looks promising. I am a fan of Teton Sports since I've got two of their bags and one of their hydration packs. Not sure I believe the temp ratings. Even though my zero degree bag is rated down to zero F it would be far from comfortable. My last trip the temps were in the mid to high 30s and the first night was very chilly even with long underwear, wool socks, and a beanie.

If the instructions for your sleeping bag allow a washing machine and dryer....go ahead, but if you can find a couple NEW/CLEAN tennis balls and have a pair of holey white gym sox available you put one ball into each sock and then you can toss them into the dryer with the bag and they will help to fluff up the insulation by beating the bag a bit while bouncing around.

NOTE: it will drive you nuts if you have to listen to it so go outside for a project while that happens!

ETAV8R said:
That Teton 7 system looks promising. I am a fan of Teton Sports since I've got two of their bags and one of their hydration packs. Not sure I believe the temp ratings. Even though my zero degree bag is rated down to zero F it would be far from comfortable. My last trip the temps were in the mid to high 30s and the first night was very chilly even with long underwear, wool socks, and a beanie.
I'm always skeptical of bag ratings too. I think most all bag ratings are overly aggressive and always use one rated about 20 degrees lower than it's going to be.

I'm a scout master and took my scout troop on the Klondike this weekend. I slept in a tent and it was about 10 degrees outside. I slept in long underwear and a beanie and was too hot. I'm also 6'3 and 250 and had plenty of room.

68 Siesta said:
I'm always skeptical of bag ratings too. I think most all bag ratings are overly aggressive and always use one rated about 20 degrees lower than it's going to be.
From what I understand the rating has nothing to do with comfort. It means you will survive the night at that rating.

Bill D said:
From what I understand the rating has nothing to do with comfort. It means you will survive the night at that rating.
Even so, with my zero degree bag I'm doubtful. I have to put a blanket over it and wear long underwear and just that makes it comfortable in ~30 degree temps.
68 Siesta said:

I'm a scout master and took my scout troop on the Klondike this weekend. I slept in a tent and it was about 10 degrees outside. I slept in long underwear and a beanie and was too hot. I'm also 6'3 and 250 and had plenty of room.

And this is with the Teton 7 bag system?

I was looking at some definitions of the temperature rating of a sleeping bag and came across this

When looking at EN temperature ratings, there are two main numbers you’ll want to look for and consider— the EN comfort rating and the EN lower limit rating. The bag’s comfort rating indicates the lowest temperature in which the average woman will sleep comfortably in that bag. The lower limit rating indicates the lowest temperature in which the average man will sleep comfortably in that bag.

how ridiculous :p

It's important to figure out your own rating. I know that I don't sleep well if I'm cold and get cold easily. Through trial and error have figured out that I need to add 10 degrees to a bags rating to get what my body thinks it should be.

I use a manufacture rated 20 degree bag in the summer and am happy (this while I was backpacking at the 8000-10000 foot range).

For two tall people - Big Agnes Dream Island double with 2 25x78 Qcore mattresses. Zippers on both sides for ease of individual egress and ingress If you want down you will need to get 2 Park Models and zip them together.

ski3pin said:
x2

http://www.rvsuperbag.com/Standard-QueenSuperbag/productinfo/RVQ/

is a current source. We love and still use ours that we bought years ago from West Marine (no longer available last I looked).

The Lady loves fleece sheets and has sewn up two sets that she alternates. Easy to pull out the sheets and launder, even on the road.
I would like to here more input about these rv super bags please, they look very interesting

Back
Top Bottom