The old bag has had it!

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
We've used some really cheap Coleman rectangular sleeping bags in the camper and boat. Something like $17 on sale.

I'd like to get a very roomy, quality bag to replace the Colemans. I'm 6'2" so roomy is highly desired, I am also a restless sleeper, and want to be able to roll over easily. I would prefer a down bag, but a good synthetic would be ok. Maybe something with different lofts top and bottom, so they can be flipped to match temperatures.

Any recommendations?

We bought a North Face Dolomite 3 season synthetic insulation double bag. It's spec'd down to 20 deg F. We have a Costco $20 down throw that we can add if it gets really cold.

Haven't needed the furnace with the down throw. Of course, it hasn't been below 35 F inside when camping although it was about 28 F outside in Bryce.

The throw is slick enough to slide off the top so we anchor it with a pillow at our feet or put the throw inside the bag.

https://www.rei.com/product/895337/the-north-face-dolomite-double-20-sleeping-bag
Our bag is two years old & has zippers on each side rather than one long one.

Paul

Another fan of the NF dolomite bag. We had sheets for comfort but the double bag make packing and unpacking really easy. It's comfortable and roomy. It has 4 zippers, 2 on each side. I like to sleep with my feet exposed.

I'll suggest looking at Teton Sports various sleeping bags. I have two Celsius models with opposing zippers and can join them together if I'd like. They have various sizes and temp ratings. Great bags. I use my zero degree with a blanket on top and do fairly well in winter desert conditions. I'd like the -25 degree bag but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

http://www.tetonsports.com/Sleeping-Bags/Celsius/Celsius-xl-25.htm#.V6OkOaIXeAo

Wiggys makes a great bag . Mine is Mummy style but made wider and longer than usual. Very roomy for a mummy style. Slept outside for a year with lowest temp 9 degree F and no cold complaints. Bag warms up in 30 seconds once you get in it. Drys really quick when wet.

Yes, Wiggy's is great gear. I like mine a lot. But it is not even close in price to $17 on sale bags.....
That comparing peanut butter protein to kolbe steaks. A place for both in the market, but the purpose is about all they have in common.
This is not meant to be catty......, more "perspective".

If you are using it for your TC and don't necessarily need a sleeping bag you may want to consider an RV Superbag.

Not cheap but reversible depending on the temps and it has detachable sheets that can be easily washed as opposed to trying to clean sleeping bags. My wife was sceptable at first but after spending a week camping and then just throwing the sheets in the washer convinced her...

www.rvsuperbags.com

Stalking Light said:
I also use the Dolomite bag and have a Pendleton blanket to add for colder nights.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Ditto....how'd you know that....I'll bet my Pendleton blankets older though..... :D

I must apologize....ours isn't a Pendelton....its a Hudson Bay point blanket...I'm 71 and I was raised with it at my granny's..."murmur"

she brought it from Wisconsin when they moved out in the 40's...the thing must weigh 10 pounds

+1 on the Superbag. We got the Travasak version for the overhead in our Class C motorhome over 20 years ago, and plan on using it in our Fleet when it gets here (only 7 weeks to go now). The choice of Summer or Winter covers and the removeable washable sheets are very nice features. More comfortable for us than any sleeping bag. It's not cheap, but neither are Four Wheel Campers...

Scott

SCUD said:
+1 on the Superbag. We got the Travasak version for the overhead in our Class C motorhome over 20 years ago, and plan on using it in our Fleet when it gets here (only 7 weeks to go now). The choice of Summer or Winter covers and the removeable washable sheets are very nice features. More comfortable for us than any sleeping bag. It's not cheap, but neither are Four Wheel Campers...

Scott
x2

http://www.rvsuperbag.com/Standard-QueenSuperbag/productinfo/RVQ/

is a current source. We love and still use ours that we bought years ago from West Marine (no longer available last I looked).

The Lady loves fleece sheets and has sewn up two sets that she alternates. Easy to pull out the sheets and launder, even on the road.

I use an Enlightened Equipment quilt for both backpacking and in my Hawk. A quilt is basically a sleeping bag without the bottom. It attaches to your thermarest mattress with straps that keep the sides tucked in at the sides.The theory is that the down in a sleeping bag has very little insulating qualities when it is compressed( the bottom). Without the bottom this saves weight and the cost of the down. I chose a 10 degree regular wide with 800 fill down and it weighs in at 18oz. I used it backpacking in the Sierra's in early spring and into early winter. It works perfect in the camper because in warmer weather you can undo the foot bed enclosure and spread it wide open like a comforter. Enlightened Equipment is custom ordered based on your height,width,and warmth needs as well as color and choice of materials. They are a bit pricey but compared to big name manufacturer's zero or 10 degree bags they are a great value. One other thing, EE is a very small operation out of Minnesota and you can actually call the owner and ask questions about different fill weights, materials, etc. Good to support these homegrown enterprising guys !!

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/made-to-order/

Well, I broke down and finally got a new bag. It's a North Face Dolomite II, and it seems roomy enough for me. That plus a couple of Costco down throws, or a good wool Pendleton should give us all the warmth we need.

Thanks everyone for chipping in with input!

Mr. Sage - We bought two of those NF Dolomites a few years ago and they work well for us in all but very cold weather. As you are thinking of doing, we augment them with Costco down throws. For some reason, it seems that my old "tried and true" North Face -5 degree down bag has shrunken in the past few years . . . . hmmmm. Anyway, the rectangular bags like the Dolomite are a better fit at this time in my life. Good luck with your new bags.

Back
Top Bottom