the owners manual says to use 4x4 once a month

allanb

Physical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rock
The manual for my 2020 tacoma says to engage 4 wheel drive once a month. Makes sense to keep it lubed ,etc. But it also says to only use 4x on dirt or broken terrain. My wife's 2013 4 runner says the same. But my 2015 Silverado manual has nary a mention of such maintenance or use.
In a perfect world I would be out, w.t.w on roads that warranted using 4x. But alas, thats not my reality at present. My best solution for now, is to run it in 4x monthly, in the rain, or when the pavement is wet.
What does the august body here have to say about this? How important is it to drive in 4x monthly?

In the winter I have snow packed roads.
In the summer you can use a straight section of road.
- drive a bit to warm up the differential.
- drive straight down the road in 4WD, not turning.
doesn't take much distance to circulate warm gear oil.

jim

Our 2018 says drive 4wd 10 miles per month. It’s sat unmoved for a month. We have gravel alleys so I’m gonna take it out soon.

I have a 700 ft long gravel driveway, so I use 4wd up the driveway and back down to the road each time to exercise the front drive train regularly. A side benefit is that I scatter less gravel in 4wd.

Paul

It is not just exercise, You need to move the lube around on the Toyota 4x4s to keep them lubed and ready when you need them.

Thanks guys; Good points and ideas. Makes sense to let warm up a bit and then do straight stretch of road. Some vehicles say there is no upper speed limit on using the 4x (or even when shifting into 4x). Some some say anything under 60 mph. Don't think I'd ever shift in to 4 hi, unless under 5 mph. And wouldnt run it any more than about 40 mph.

Depends on the type of 4wd system you have. I certainly can't engage 4wd in the Jeep at any speed at all but the truck is totally different.

The purpose is not just to move lube, depending on your system. If your system uses electric or vacuum actuators, the internal moving/sliding parts need periodic movement too.

My old Ranger has them. It helps when doing “Maintenance four wheeling” to shift it in and out of 4wd a couple of separate times during the process to let the actuators cycle. Or so it seems anyway.

I've got the old school system of manually locking hubs. I just lock the hubs occasionally and leave it in 2wd. Gets everything in the front axle turning nicely.

There is no need to engage low range unless you want to check the linkage or operation of the switch. All the transfer-case gears get lubed in normal driving. The purpose of engaging the hubs/4WD is to lube the upper knuckle bearings and the front ring gear.

I am so glad this was posted. I have only used my 4wd a few times in nearly 2 years. Now I am exercising it once a month. Eventually I'll get a chance to use it where it was supposed to be used...... :)

allanb said:
Amen brother. Have my back seat torn out and cargo system in place. Front bumper and winch set up. Hiatus camper on order.
Than double wammy. Virus and bulged disk at same time. To early to tell, But probly good timing all in all
Allan, good luck with the double whammy! If you get the cough along with the virus, the bulged disk isn’t going to be fun.

I hope it goes easy on you!

Back
Top Bottom