The Rotisserie Chicken

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey
The Rotisserie Chicken

We brined the Chickens in Water and about 1 cup of Salt for a few hours.

Then they were stuffed with Ted’s aka Magellan’s fresh herbs which consisted of chopped rosemary; thyme sage and oregano.
We also put is a few chopped cloves of garlic.

The chickens were given a little massage with olive oil and then a spice rub was applied.

You need to salt them generously; I prefer a fine sea to give them a nice even coat.

Truss them and stick them on the rotisserie spike.

We used mesquite to cook them over. It takes a few hours; so have some beers handy :LOL:

Warner077.jpg

After about 40 minutes

Warner079.jpg

After about 4 hours of hard work.

Warner090.jpg

Serve with a tossed fresh salad.
The dressing consisted of fresh Lemon Juice; salt and EVOO.

Warner092.jpg

Yes that was excellent Marc thanks for the amazing meal! Can we officially call this "Chicken Gandalf"?

gallery_2_241_81431.jpg

Where did you get the spice rub?

Thanks for the praise.
Was a lot of fun cooking the chickens and drinking your beer.

Spice rub came from Safeway..Had forgotten mine..

But I could come up with a WTW concoction for a spice rub...

Your chickens look so good i can taste them from the pictures. I first got to eating good rotisserie chickens at the Mingos restaurant in Madrid Spain. They serve them with hard apple cider,oh so good.Have you tried putting some cut up lemon inside and also drizzling some balsamic vinegar over the bird while it cooks,it adds a nice color and taste.Thanks for the tasty treat.
Frank

Marc made the rotisserie chicken look so good, I had to give it a shot...

Hard to find fresh herbs in this town
photosfromcamera090910703.jpg

Went with a hybrid approach, brine then stuffed with herbs, garlic, jalapeno, and lemon wedges
photosfromcamera090910704.jpg

Olive oil and a nice rub on the exterior
photosfromcamera090910705.jpg

Gettin' there
photosfromcamera090910707.jpg

Didn't have the temperature/spit height quite right and it was getting late, so three hours or so in we halved them and finished on the grill
photosfromcamera090910709.jpg

Seriously some of the best chicken I have ever made, the chicks were cooked to perfection and had taken nicely to all the flavoring. Thanks for the inspiration Marc!

Almost forgot, we roasted a pig that weekend as well. Kind of an annual tradition for a good friend of mine...I'm sure I don't have to tell you how good this was :D

photosfromcamera090910719.jpg

photosfromcamera090910725.jpg

Marc made the rotisserie chicken look so good, I had to give it a shot...

Seriously some of the best chicken I have ever made, the chicks were cooked to perfection and had taken nicely to all the flavoring. Thanks for the inspiration Marc!

Your welcome.
Yes; it takes a few hours to cook them that way

SD..
how long did it take to cook the pig?

About 6.5 hours, we borrowed a few techniques and the roaster design from these fine gentlemen:

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast2.html

sdmarkus,

That is a great link. I don't plan on roasting a pig but had to read through it. I'm a little concerned about Marc, the pig roast rally, and this part: Now the "hard" part, sitting around drinking beer, telling jokes, enjoying the sunshine and oh yeah, watching the pig roast.

Based on past rallies, members tend to excel at the "hard" part. Hopefully there will be an EMT on hand and DD doesn't try to see who else he can name Fireproof. :D

sdmarkus,

That is a great link. I don't plan on roasting a pig but had to read through it. I'm a little concerned about Marc, the pig roast rally, and this part:

Based on past rallies, members tend to excel at the "hard" part. Hopefully there will be an EMT on hand and DD doesn't try to see who else he can name Fireproof. :D

After burning my foot, I now understand that fire hurts. So I will not be flinging flaming logs at people anymore.

After burning my foot, I now understand that fire hurts. So I will not be flinging flaming logs at people anymore.

I feel your pain, I'm know as "Firewalker" amongst a particular group of friends thanks to a little incident some years back :rolleyes:

I was an EMT back in the eighties, does that count?

Better pack a little more in your first aid kit for the meet. DD + fire = :(

I have a burn kit to go along with my trauma kit. Maybe I'll break it out and make sure its gtg.

Was inspired to by this thread once again for our annual hog roast earlier this month. I changed direction at the last moment and did a spin on paper-wrapped chicken rather than rotisserie.

Brined two whole birds, then stuffed with garlic, jalapeno, fresh herbs and lemon wedges. Coated the exterior with olive oil and a nice rub before wrapping in parchment paper and many layers of foil. Buried them on the coals of the campfire for about two hours and presto!...some of the best chicken I've made to date and super easy. Sorry no picture:(

We also got a new roaster for the hog that worked out really well, enjoy.
IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Looks like a feast! :)
I'd never seen nor heard of those wooden-box pig roasters before, but this is the second this summer. The first was at my brother's company summer picnic in Gualala, CA. Maybe they're the latest trend (fad?) in big outdoor cooking -- like turkey fryers became a few years ago?

Back
Top Bottom