The Smooth Sided Fiberglass FWC Thread

Bombsight

Please post pics & share your experiences if you have a Smooth Sided Fiberglass FWC.

.... & on that note, can the fiberglass siding be painted other colors and it still hold up well to the elements?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 8.12.14 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 8.12.14 AM copy.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 405
I've got the fiberglass siding and love it. I think it looks light-years better than the aluminum siding.

When did they start using fiberglass? Whats the weight difference between glass and aluminumn?? I've never seen a fiberglass one but from the pic,it looks very modern an clean..

The glass sides have been an option for at least 3 years. I agree they look great, but if you damage a panel, it's more expensive to replace. The folks at FWC recommended aluminum over glass when we bought.

wvtradbow said:
When did they start using fiberglass? Whats the weight difference between glass and aluminumn?? I've never seen a fiberglass one but from the pic,it looks very modern an clean..
An aluminium sided Grandby weighs about 75 lbs less than a smooth sided one. Don't see a lot of advantages other than aesthetics and personal preference for a smooth sided camper with a pop-up.

X2 on the replacement option.

Plus aluminum resists abrasion and scratches better. We have the aluminum siding on our current Hawk (which we are going to sell) and on the new Flatbed Hawk we have ordered. Sometimes the old way is still the best way. My 2 cents...

I would think the glass could be painted other colors with gel-coat but you would be adding additional weight to the unit.

Like boats, it seems as though glass sides would be easy to repair. :unsure:

If 75 #'s is going to stop my travels, I need to look at my accessories instead of paint.

Cayuse said:
I would think the glass could be painted other colors with gel-coat but you would be adding additional weight to the unit.

I've I asked if they offered any other color but white and they said no.
You could however do a vinyl wrap and come up with a really cool design of your own choosing for not much money...

I when with Fiberglass on my Hawk. It is about 60 lbs more weight. The rumor is it has better insulation. I am not too worried about damage because I don't ever plan to crash into stuff :) The main reason I did it was resale. It seems to be in 5-10 years if I do sell Fiberglass would be an easier sell than the aluminum. So far I am very happy with it, but I doubt the siding is the reason why.

cdbrow1 said:
I when with Fiberglass on my Hawk. It is about 60 lbs more weight. The rumor is it has better insulation. I am not too worried about damage because I don't ever plan to crash into stuff :) The main reason I did it was resale. It seems to be in 5-10 years if I do sell Fiberglass would be an easier sell than the aluminum. So far I am very happy with it, but I doubt the siding is the reason why.
Like a Hawk has ever been hard to resell :)

I can see the advantages and disadavantages.I think they look great and I would think they would be easier to patch and paint if needed.I did a tag along 13' Scamp and the fiberglass was easier (for me) to work with than trying to get all the little dings out of my old thin alumiumn Grandby and as far as painting goes, base coat clear coat doesnt seem to chip near as easy on Glass as that thin alum.BUT I also want to go as light as possible..

Here's some interesting info on the subject in this Truck Camper Magazine article announcing FWC changes for 2013. (Scroll down to the siding photos if you don't want to wade through the discussion of other changes that year).

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/2013-four-wheel-camper-announcements

Also- post 15 in this thread says there's a difference in the warranty. (That could be old info, though)...

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/5149-ordering-soon/page-2

I'm guessing the idea of repairs being expensive has less to do with patching small defects than with having to replace an entire panel of glued-on FRP/mahogany-type-plywood sandwich when a significant repair is required. (But then again I'm making assumptions here and you know what that means!)

-OC

PS- Another interesting link on the subject of Filon....

http://www.hemetvalleyrv.net/filon-fiberglass-rv-siding.html

Bombsight said:
I'm surprised there aren't more owners of fiberglass sides .... or more input at least.
At a $650 surcharge no thanks.
The only plus is they're prettier.

rotti said:
At a $650 surcharge no thanks.
The only plus is they're prettier.
Price does not bother me but weight and repair cost does as I do over 1,000 miles a year off road in rough terrain which also makes me wonder about it's flex properties compared to aluminum.

The things it would do better with is inherent insulation properties, sound dampening qualities and would be much easier to keep clean. The aluminum has many thousands of tiny dimples that just seem to hold dirt like nobody's business.

Back
Top Bottom