The ULTIMATE camper mod

BSS

Contributors
Full-width rear sliding glass door.

http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/2564264249.html

At least there's no wondering if your camping partner is home or not...

That's........ interesting :oops:

You would be shocked how tough tempered glass sliders are. I remember prying and distorting tempered glass panels while removing obsolete patio doors out in Coronado Cays, San Diego after the original raw aluminum sills had erupted due to salt/chemical reactions with concrete slabs. I would cringe, thinking they would explode, but what the hey? I was demo-ing the d*mn things! But they never did blow up. Ultimately I pried them out and replaced them with better technology (dual-pane glazing, with anodized aluminum frame over onsite applied epoxy-coated sills). Lesson Learned: Tempered Glass if very tough, until it isn't. I've also known friends who's tempered glass shower enclosure blew up in the middle of the night, apparently due to inherent faultiness. :oops:

A well placed rock spit out of a riding lawn mower at passing by at 40 feet takes down a tempered glass sliding door pretty fast I found :)

A well placed rock spit out of a riding lawn mower at passing by at 40 feet takes down a tempered glass sliding door pretty fast I found :)

So does a nail head being shot off the end of your skil saw as you cut flooring. Ouch!

Indeed! My brother is still finding bits of glass in the yard, in the house, everywhere and its been 2 years since his lawnmower chucked a stone through his window. I also had the exciting and expensive experience of letting the one-piece tempered glass door on the back of my dad's Leer truck cap slip and spring open. It was like standing next to a shotgun going off. When I bought my own cap, I went for the door with the aluminum frame - with my dealers blessing.

My dog saw a deer out the bedroom window, leapt up with front paws on the window, and Pow! pieces of window throughout the bedroom. :eek: Scared her so much that when she sees critters out any window now, I can see her start to jump, then stop herself. She wasn't physically hurt, thank goodness. That particular pane now has plexiglass in it

I also had the exciting and expensive experience of letting the one-piece tempered glass door on the back of my dad's Leer truck cap slip and spring open. It was like standing next to a shotgun going off.

I blew out the back window on the shell of my Toyota work truck years ago. I had a wheelbarrow on the roof, only tied off to the rear bar on my rack over shell. As I hit 50mph the wheelbarrow lifted and rotated over the rear bar of the rack, driving both handles through the back window of the shell. Boom! :eek: I replaced it with plexiglas.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty much what's happened with my Hawk. I blew out the door window, losing control of the door during a wind storm in Death Valley last winter. And now it's been replaced with plexi. :) Only downside is that it scratches easily.

I blew out the back window on the shell of my Toyota work truck years ago. I had a wheelbarrow on the roof, only tied off to the rear bar on my rack over shell. As I hit 50mph the wheelbarrow lifted and rotated over the rear bar of the rack, driving both handles through the back window of the shell. Boom! :eek: I replaced it with plexiglas.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty much what's happened with my Hawk. I blew out the door window, losing control of the door during a wind storm in Death Valley last winter. And now it's been replaced with plexi. :) Only downside is that it scratches easily.

To finish the story about the cap on my dad's truck, the replacement I bought only lasted a few months until my dad did the same thing. :oops: I replaced it with polycarbonate (a.k.a. Lexan). It's considerably tougher than acrylic (a.k.a. plexi) but considerably more expensive too. It is often used in things like boat hatch covers, eyeglass lenses and a host of other products where strength is needed. It isn't as sensitive to UV so doesn't start to fog as quickly. While certainly more scratch resistant than plexi, it isn't anywhere near as hard as glass. That's why eyeglass manufactures coat polycarbonate lenses.

You should be able to get polycarbonate a most industrial plastics outlets. I works very similar to acrylic

Back
Top Bottom