The Wildlife Photography Thread

That is a great shot.Nice visitor.
We have been getting a lot of Red Shoulder hawks around,
close to the house but they seem to be very skidish to get a photo.
They are also chasing the "prey birds".
Thanks Mark.
Frank

Thanks, guys.
It was pretty cool to see a raptor -- and a species I rarely see at that -- perched less than 20 feet from my kitchen window...and in a very un-raptor-like situation. (I had to shoot through the window...so fortunately it wasn't too dirty. ;) )
As you can see from the drinking pic, he's a sloppy drinker...and like all (?) birds he has to rely on gravity to get the water to flow down his throat.

By contrast, I've watched a squirrel cling to the trunk of the tree and drink upside down from the same birdbath.
img_810399566_fb_img_1527975565568.jpg
I guess mammalian evolution has developed a more advanced/sophisticated form of swallowing than avian evolution has...so far.
(And the bird lobby would reply: "OK, and which Class of critters has evolved the almost universal ability to fly?? :rolleyes: :cool: )

All during the year there can be 12-16 doe and fawns around the house, but come Oct-Nov the bucks start showing up. Ordinarily we don't give the deer a second look and often have to shoo them off the deck or out of the garage, but we never turn our backs on the bucks during rutting season.

buck - 1.jpg

Ronin said:
All during the year there can be 12-16 doe and fawns around the house, but come Oct-Nov the bucks start showing up. Ordinarily we don't give the deer a second look and often have to shoo them off the deck or out of the garage, but we never turn our backs on the bucks during rutting season.

attachicon.gif
buck - 1.jpg
I just saw two nice bucks this evening on Bitney Springs Rd.. Kicking myself for not having a camera, especially with the rising Strawberry Moon.

Lighthawk said:
I just saw two nice bucks this evening on Bitney Springs Rd.. Kicking myself for not having a camera, especially with the rising Strawberry Moon.
Doe with her tiny new fawn this morning on our early walk, no camera either.

A couple of shots from a recent get away.

Sandhills are such a cool looking bird. This guy had personality and took the BB persecution with aplomb, while defending it's dignity.

Two more

Great shots Andy. New camera/lens? Saw the first 2 fawns at my place on Monday. Only had my Iphone so just enjoyed watching them.

More backyard wildlife captures, this afternoon.
I'm not a fan of cuteness in general...but...aww shucks, I couldn't ignore these two cuties, not when they're right next to my deck and my camera was handy.
They were tiny -- maybe 18 inches at the shoulder.

Fawns_20180629-3.jpg Fawns_20180629-2.jpg

Fawns_20180629-4.jpg

The light wasn't ideal, but I didn't let that stop me! :p

Good job Mr. BC! Those little codgers could be cousins to the little one around here the other morning!

We are suckers for cuteness...................sometimes! :)

Very cool Vic!!! Impressed you could get a shot. Send it our way as the neiborhood is over run by Rabbits and squirrels.

Yesterday morning, I caught this guy red-handed, stealing apples from our orchard.
He's got some amusing expressions. These shots are taken through a wire fence, and a black bear in morning light caused me to crank my ISO to 2500 to get some decent shutter speeds.

Callie got out the back door and was barking (from inside the fenced garden), but it didn't faze Mr. Bear very much.
He took his apple and went sauntering off into the woods.

I don't mind sharing a few apples with our neighbor. I just hope he doesn't wreck the tree.
We also worry about leaving our camper out in the driveway, during bear season.

Back
Top Bottom