The Wildlife Photography Thread

Munchies

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1531279924947.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531279924947.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 27
Lighthawk said:
Yesterday morning, I caught this guy red-handed, stealing apples from our orchard...
I don't mind sharing a few apples with our neighbor. I just hope he doesn't wreck the tree.
We also worry about leaving our camper out in the driveway, during bear season.
Very cool. I'd love to see something this big in my backyard -- and get nice shots of it. :)

CougarCouple said:
Nice shot MarkBC
Such a beautiful bird. How long has he/she been coming around?

Russ
Thanks, Russ. I've been seeing this Cooper's Hawk in my yard, and/or another one, for maybe two years...but it's been very rarely. Until the sightings on my bird bath -- twice now in the past month -- I'd only seen one (and once 2 of them) swooping through the trees in my yard 4 or 5 times in those two years.

Vic Harder said:
across the street from us we spotted this guy. I think he was in the neighborhood hunting for rabbits
Very nice!
Lighthawk said:
Yesterday morning, I caught this guy red-handed, stealing apples from our orchard.
He's got some amusing expressions. These shots are taken through a wire fence, and a black bear in morning light caused me to crank my ISO to 2500 to get some decent shutter speeds.

Callie got out the back door and was barking (from inside the fenced garden), but it didn't faze Mr. Bear very much.
He took his apple and went sauntering off into the woods.

I don't mind sharing a few apples with our neighbor. I just hope he doesn't wreck the tree.
We also worry about leaving our camper out in the driveway, during bear season.
Very nice! The one around here appears to live off of our neighbors' garbage cans.

When you see Cooper's Hawks in your yard (as I have -- see up-thread) you may, eventually, if you're lucky, see juvenile Cooper's Hawks in your yard.
This afternoon I was lucky! :)

Coopers-Hawk-juvi-4512.jpg

Coopers-Hawk-juvi-4499.jpg

Perched above the bird feeders -- I assume this guy/gal was trying to figure out how to acquire delicious little birds. :ninja: He was watching, following intently with his gaze, a nearby pygmy nuthatch in the same intense way that a cat would.
There were actually two juvenile Cooper's that showed up, siblings I assume, but the other one didn't pose as long or as well.

Back
Top Bottom