Thermarest vs. memory foam?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
I am fitting out my 2004 Hawk, getting ready for the road. I have read that some people buy memory foam and place it on top of the FWC cushions/bolster to make the bed more comfortable.

Instead of memory foam, does anyone place a camping mattress (Thermarest) on top of the FWC cushions?

I am taking camping equipment on my voyage, so I will have a Thermarest anyway. Using the Thermarest instead of memory foam would require one less item to buy and store.

LiveLifeNow said:
I am fitting out my 2004 Hawk, getting ready for the road. I have read that some people buy memory foam and place it on top of the FWC cushions/bolster to make the bed more comfortable.

Instead of memory foam, does anyone place a camping mattress (Thermarest) on top of the FWC cushions?

I am taking camping equipment on my voyage, so I will have a Thermarest anyway. Using the Thermarest instead of memory foam would require one less item to buy and store.
I put two basecamp style thermarests under the foam mattress in my ATC so all is protected from below. They make the bed more comfortable and add needed insulation in the colder months.

Wife and I use two older "Camp Rest" Thermarests. At one time they were the thickest, at 2". But now there are thicker inflatable sleeping pads, including 3.5 or 4" with vertical sidewalls. There's a thread here somewhere about those.

I put a sheet sewn into a long bag shape on mine, and sleep on that with a quilt over. My wife prefers a sleeping bag. On top of the cushions, never thought about putting them under...

I don't roll them up - folded in half with the valve open, one can travel behind the couch, or, two can be stacked on top of the stove and the roof holds them in place. But that's on my 97 Eagle, yours might be different.

I like inflatable pads. If you do they are certainly worth trying in your camper!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

One problem with memory foam is that in cold weather it turns hard. I had an older Eagle, and the factory cushions were not enough for comfort. What I ended up doing was a regular foam pad and a memory foam pad, together in a fleece sleeping bag. I washed the fleece sleeping bag (you can buy these at Wal-Mart) from time to time. This on top of the factory cushion made a bed as good as my memory foam home mattress.

I too use a Thermarest under the mattress. I also use a non slip cupboard liner so the Thermarest stays in place. https://amzn.com/B002AS9NAI

The cab-over section of the camper can get noticeably cold. The extra insulation helps with keeping heat in and cold out. Also helps reduce moisture condensation.

I have been using two cot pads from cabelas in my grandly just ordered new foam and fabric on line for a total of 350.00. So I will let you know how that works out. I'm hopping with new foam I won't need any cot pads and two less items to bring along.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I use two different backpacking/camping pads. The first one I bought is from Kelty Recluse Insulated. It is night and day over the stock cushions. Then I went on a backpacking trip and thought I'd be taking it with. It was too large to pack. I went on the hunt for a more lightweight model that could do double duty. The result is the Klymit Static V2. The Klymit was on sale and was to see if it would work just as well as my Kelty comfort wise. It is just as comfortable. I want an insulated Klymit and now they are making a wider side they call a double. I measured it out and the double wouldn't be enough for two people in my Finch but it and a large insulated one would fit great. But then I only really need the large insulated one and the Kelty and I'll be good to go for two people in cold weather.

I use a self inflating 3" Alps Comfort series pad. It is 30" X 77" x 4" on top. Bulky but very comfortable. About $100.

cwd

I use a thermarest under the mattress as an "air shield" against negative temperatures in the winter. I'm up in British Columbia Canada and I continue to camp through the winter season. I find that without the thermarest, I get quite a bit of condensation under the mattress if I turn on the furnace and it's real cold outside. I use a latex foam topper that is very expensive but it's has no scent, no off gassing, and has no memory (which is great because there are no dents anywhere). I sleep much better now.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Just got back with our brand new (to us) 2005 Hawk shell. Slept on our Thermarest NEOair mattresses. Very comfy, but still looking for better. Something wider and ideally something that can link well with a partner's pad too. Nothing like trying to cuddle and falling into to the ice cold crack between pads to spoil the moment... ;)

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5026-870/NeoAir-All-Season-Sleeping-Pad

Vic Harder said:
Just got back with our brand new (to us) 2005 Hawk shell. Slept on our Thermarest NEOair mattresses. Very comfy, but still looking for better. Something wider and ideally something that can link well with a partner's pad too. Nothing like trying to cuddle and falling into to the ice cold crack between pads to spoil the moment... ;)

Vic try the www.thefoamfactory.com just enter in your exact size, along with the type of foam and they send you custom made sizes with in a week or two. I went with their high quality six inch Dacron wrapped to re-Do my cushions and the total with free shipping was 270.00. I found some fabric on sale at http://rvfabric.com for 50.00 I got enough to redo them all. I'll be replacing them this weekend.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I've used thermarest pads under the mattress but they're only 25" wide. On my Feb trip to Northern New Mexico I bought a queen 1" Pure Green Natural Latex Topper from AMZ. I trimmed it to size with shop scissors. Really comfy and never felt the cold underneath me with lowest temps around 27*(Gila Cliff Dwellings). It does take up a lot of room but I just rolled it up and stuck it behind my couch. I aired it out for about 10 days before my trip but it still smelled like an eraser - it is fine now. I also use it as a topper in our guest room futon and it makes the bed a lot more comfy.

Vic Harder said:

We used two 3 1/2" REI pads but wanted just some thing narrower. Got the Exped duo 48" wide. Works great, I see now they make a 52" model. Not cheap but works for us.

I picked up a Lightspeed 2 person air mattress from Costco last year. I leave it on top of the mattress deflated and just inflate it when I pop the top. It is slick and a bit noisy, but it works well.

Never considered putting an air mattress under the foam mattress.
Does it help make the factory mattress tolerable?

EDR said:
I picked up a Lightspeed 2 person air mattress from Costco last year. I leave it on top of the mattress deflated and just inflate it when I pop the top. It is slick and a bit noisy, but it works well.

Never considered putting an air mattress under the foam mattress.
Does it help make the factory mattress tolerable?
I leave my inflatables deflated under the stock mattresses when the top is down and like you, inflated them after the top is up. They really make the factory foam mattresses quite tolerable plus they cut down on that pesky under-mattress condensation that builds up in low temperatures.

I got around to replacing the foam in mine and was pretty easy. And I no longer need to take cot pads with us. You can check the link below to see all the details. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11351-New-to-me-grandby ImageUploadedByWander The West1475970126.247328.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1475970142.232576.jpg

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Thanks for the reply Stew.
Guess I'll reverse my current setup and give it a shot.

EDR said:
Thanks for the reply Stew.
Guess I'll reverse my current setup and give it a shot.
Things might not be as slippery or noisy that way. I don't even know my inflatables are under there when I'm in the sack. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom