Thermostat warm-up

In my case the thermostat case isn't warming as fast as the air. If I keep my hand on it it warms up faster and stabilizes quicker. There is some built in latency so the thing doesn't constantly cycle, but mine does eventually read the correct temp without a reset. You may be seeing a totally different issue than I am.

Again...if we are discussing issues with a thermostat/heater it should be specified what year model FWC and the brand/model of thermostat and heater...

Apples to apples...

Thanks,

Phil

My thermostat is a White Rodgers digital pictured in the second post of this thread, not sure of the model number. My furnace is an Atwood, although that shouldn't make a difference to the thermostat.

I've concluded that what I am observing can be easily explained by the laws of thermodynamics. :)

I experience similar thermal lag with the thermostat. I have attributed it to thermal mass of the cabinet where mounted and poor air mixing. This is made worse by the position of the furnace on the same wall. The furnace blows across and heats the fridge door quickly but no hot air blows near the thermostat. I used a remote reading thermometer and saw temperature of cabinet adjacent to thermostat below 50 deg F while fridge door was above 90 deg F.

Temperatures above the cabinet level rise with the hot air while the cabinets sit in a pool of cold air. Fundamentally, the hot air flow is not ideal. I found a small fan sitting on the floor blowing straight up mixes the air and shortens time to heat the cabinets. It also keeps my feet warmer. :)

Paul

For those experiencing the lag, I'd be curious as to what happens to the displayed temp if you do a reset by holding in both arrow buttons and sliding the switch to the 'Heat' position. Does that bring the temp displayed up to correct temp?

I have the same thermostat as the one in d2richland in my 2014 Grandby. We have been experimenting when Temps go under 40 and I'm not sure I've seen this issue. The last trip we set it at 50 and it cycled on and off through the night and we saw less condensation. No matter what, the camper heats up quickly. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

d2richland said:
RyanOBrian1
Yes, my experience is that a reset brings it up to current temp, whether that is done at 50 or whatever. But if you reset at 50 and actually want it to shut off at 60, it will continue to lag until it gets to the set temp of 60. Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back.

Wallowa said:
Again...if we are discussing issues with a thermostat/heater it should be specified what year model FWC and the brand/model of thermostat and heater...
I believe the thermostat under discussion is the White-Rodgers 1E78-140, a non-programmable, heat-only model in what the manufacturer calls its 70 Series. Click here for the installation manual and here for specs (if you're so inclined).

Also- I see resetting to get the display reading accurate also resets to factory default settings. The only downside I see is loss of backlight if you had gone to the trouble to turn it on (but of course you can just make turning it back on part of your reset process).

-OC

d2richland said:
For those experiencing the lag, I'd be curious as to what happens to the displayed temp if you do a reset by holding in both arrow buttons and sliding the switch to the 'Heat' position. Does that bring the temp displayed up to correct temp?
I spent the weekend camping up outside of Flagstaff. (brrr). The furnace worked great - had to reset the thermostat a couple of times ^ and it worked fine.

2015 Fleet

What is the model/make of thermostat currently [ 2016/late 2105] being installed in FWC?

Is it the White-Rodgers 1E78-140 reference above?

The more I read of "resetting the thermostat" for correct functioning of the thermostat/furnace the more I want to throw the BS flag.

Certainly FWC can use a thermostat that does not require these gymnastics to work correctly? Damn, the campers are not inexpensive.

Phil

Great post Richland and thanks for reference...I assume you thermostat is the White-Rodgers 1E-78?

Phil

To keep everyone updated. I slept in the 2015 Eagle last night. It was 30 in the camper. I turned the heat on for 5 or 10 minutes and it still was only at like 34. I did a reset and then it showed 43. Seems like the reset fixed it.

I just ordered this thermostat http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H6ARNXO which you can set to garage mode so it'll work from 35-90 degrees. I'll keep you posted.

I slept in my 2014 Eagle last night. Temp got down into the teens. Thermostat worked fine after it got warmed up. I did try a reset, but I had forgotten until things were fairly warm. Bumped the temp up a bit, so I can see it would be useful to stabilize the system faster. I expect it just resets the thermistor and the microcontroller., and I expect more expensive models have a better microcontroller than can handle rapidly changing temps better.

I've never done a reset in the past and it has always worked fine, just slow to level out when it's really cold.

Stalking Light said:
I slept in my 2014 Eagle last night. Temp got down into the teens. Thermostat worked fine after it got warmed up. I did try a reset, but I had forgotten until things were fairly warm. Bumped the temp up a bit, so I can see it would be useful to stabilize the system faster. I expect it just resets the thermistor and the microcontroller., and I expect more expensive models have a better microcontroller than can handle rapidly changing temps better.

I've never done a reset in the past and it has always worked fine, just slow to level out when it's really cold.
Yep, and to be clear. My themostat works fine as well. Once it is up to the correct temp it works great, just takes forever to reach that temp

RyanOBrian1 said:
To keep everyone updated. I slept in the 2015 Eagle last night. It was 30 in the camper. I turned the heat on for 5 or 10 minutes and it still was only at like 34. I did a reset and then it showed 43. Seems like the reset fixed it.

I just ordered this thermostat http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H6ARNXO which you can set to garage mode so it'll work from 35-90 degrees. I'll keep you posted.
I was looking at that Honeywell thermostat as well. Please let us know how it works for you.

Stalking Light,

What temp did you set the thermostat to in your #56 post? Did you leave that setting on all night?

Outside temp was? And no water froze...that is good news.

Thanks...trying to get a handle on the mechanics of all this.

Phil

Temp was set to 62 all night. Water tanks were emptied and I just had some bottled water inside. Outside temp was high teens at the lowest, low 20's when I got up. The starting temp inside before I turned the heat on was in the low 40's. I let the furnace run until it felt warm enough inside and then turned it off like I usually do to let things equalize. That's when I remember the reset so I tried it and the temp reset from 40 something to 58. Then I let things run and the thermostat worked fine after that. Normally I just wait until the thermostat temp reading comes up on its own, which take a little longer - but in my REagle I'm usually sitting right by the thermostat anyway, can't get too far away from anything in there. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom