Thermostats

Phird05

OK, I am usually pretty handy figuring things out, but am stumped on replacijng my Atwood Thermostat for my furnace with a digital, heat only thermostat. The new digital seems like it is not getting any power. I installed it attaching the 2 existing wires R & W in the same way as the Atwood, but the LCD screen shows nothing. I am assuming the only difference with the digital is there is not an actual on off switch. I am reluctant to start touching wires to the other contacts, but I am at a loss as to why there would not be any power to it. I touch the wires to the old Attwood and the furnace fires and blows just fine. Yikes, What's up?

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Caveat, I am NOT an electrician. But I understand the basics.

You probably have 2 wires to your old furnace: one is "hot", and the other is to the furnace. If your thermostat is 12v powered, you'll need to add a negative return wire. There is a digital thermostat thread around here somewhere....

No batteries required.

Cool. What brand and model? If it is residential, it may require a voltage we don't have in our campers (e.g. 120v, 5v, etc).

hummm ???

that is what i'm thinking too (Scott's quote below).

usually a digital thermostat will require batteries (example: 2 AA), especially if it is one you put in your camper.

You might want to return it for a simple digital thermostat that can be operated off of its own batteries.

You can get a simple one at the hardware store for $ 25 - $ 75.

Most digital thermostats will have the Heat & Air Conditioner settings on them. You can use one of these, but just use the Heat setting only. I installed a digital thermostat in my Six-Pac this time last year and I love it !

It has, and continues to work prefect for what I need.

Now if I could only swap my old suburban furnace out with a new, quieter atwood furnace, I would be loving it.

LOL

===============================================================================

If it is residential, it may require a voltage we don't have in our campers (e.g. 120v, 5v, etc).

Attachments

• DSC03588.JPG
    DSC03588.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC03589.JPG
    DSC03589.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03590.JPG
    DSC03590.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC03591.JPG
    DSC03591.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 131
I'm going to agree with Stan on this one, battery powered is the way to go in our pop-ups. I went with a Lux DMH-110 and it works great:

http://www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/dmh110.htm

I got an idea though, I was wondering how hard it would be to wire the Fantastic-fan to go on when in cool mode. It seems simple enough to me in theory, re-route one of the leads going to power the fan and send it to the thermostat then to the fan?

I know, for an extra $20 or so dollars, I could have got the thermostat control on the fan...:)

The one Stan showed is the same as mine. Works great. I've never heard of one that doesn't take batteries.

Even the digital therm in my home has a battery back up....

What model did you get, Paul?

good luck

mtn

To run the Fan to the cooler side you could do it with a relay but DO NOT run the ran wire thru the thermostat as it will not handle the amperage and could cause big problems

hummm ???

that is what i'm thinking too (Scott's quote below).

usually a digital thermostat will require batteries (example: 2 AA), especially if it is one you put in your camper.

You might want to return it for a simple digital thermostat that can be operated off of its own batteries.

You can get a simple one at the hardware store for $ 25 - $ 75.

Most digital thermostats will have the Heat & Air Conditioner settings on them. You can use one of these, but just use the Heat setting only. I installed a digital thermostat in my Six-Pac this time last year and I love it !

It has, and continues to work prefect for what I need.

Now if I could only swap my old suburban furnace out with a new, quieter atwood furnace, I would be loving it.

LOL

===============================================================================

Just got out of a meeting. Thanks for all of the replies. It is a honeywell CT8775A, heat only, no batteries required thermostat. It is non-programmable, as I only need to turn it on and off with the temp programmed into it when using the camper. It says it is compatible with heat only furnaces. Should I try other wire leads or will I do more than just blow a fuse? I only ask this as maybe the leads are not going to be labeled the same with every thermostat.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Paul

Could it be that it's for a 24V system and not a 12V?

http://underbid.com/...sku/555266.html

I only see one Honeywell for 12 V....and it's not digital/looks alot like what we've all taken out of our units.

I may be wrong here...but I don't think the model you got is gonna work.

good luck!

mtn

http://underbid.com/...sku/555266.html

I only see one Honeywell for 12 V....and it's not digital/looks alot like what we've all taken out of our units.

I may be wrong here...but I don't think the model you got is gonna work.

good luck!

tn

Thanks mtn,

I am returning it today and hopefully will find one that will work. I don't know if Ace has any of the ones listed above, but will give it a go today. I would like to get it done as I am doing a guide trip tommorow and Friday and want to see how much of a difference there is between the Atwood and a digital.

Thanks,

Thanks mtn,

I am returning it today and hopefully will find one that will work. I don't know if Ace has any of the ones listed above, but will give it a go today. I would like to get it done as I am doing a guide trip tommorow and Friday and want to see how much of a difference there is between the Atwood and a digital.

Thanks,

Maybe Ace / Aspenites has the same distribution guy as Ace / Crested Beauticians and you can get the "Lux" version I have which works perfecto. It should have a small white label on the back that says "DMH110".

Good luck in your search...

Maybe Ace / Aspenites has the same distribution guy as Ace / Crested Beauticians and you can get the "Lux" version I have which works perfecto. It should have a small white label on the back that says "DMH110".

Good luck in your search...

Thanks Kodachrome,

I will find out very shortly.

Thanks Kodachrome,

I will find out very shortly.

I know you all have been on the edge of your seats wanting to know the outcome of my thermostat issue. Well, I exchanged the Honeywell for a Hunter Multivolt digital, and my camper is so very toasty warm as we speak. I thought the other was a multivolt but on further inspection at the store it was 24v. Anyway, I'll be anxious to see the difference if any, with a more consistant heating of the camper for the next few nights. All I have to do now is figure out how to deal with all of my other issues!
laugh.gif

Thanks for all of the good feedback.

Good camping.

Paul

yep, I looked at the specs on line.

I think you might be better off returning it.

Electrical Specs: Power Requirements - 24 volt

I don't see how that gonna work in a normal camper unless you want to start re-wiring things

Get a normal thermostat 'off the shelf' at the hardware store that takes AA batteries and you should be set

===================================================================

mtn

Did the same as Kodachrome, the Lux thermostat is a winner.

Well, I got back from my guiding trip over the weekend and the Hunter thermostat worked great. I tried to find the Lux but couldn't find one in Gunnison. It was quite warm where I was guiding last week so the furnace didn't cycle too often throughout the night, but worked well.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback, helping me out with the thermostat issue!

Good Camping,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom