This is the camper I am purchasing

vineyardseashell

Hello everyone!

I am a newbie and love the treasure trove I have found in this forum, so I joined to learn more about Alaskan campers.

This is the Alaskan camper I am purchasing- it is a 1965 10’ NCO, comes with jacks, and a set of hitch steps. It is currently owned by a very nice elderly gentleman that I enjoy talking to…it’s like talking with my Dad. :D I am really excited about getting the camper, and cannot wait to head towards my home turf to pick it up.

I am buying this camper sight unseen per se- just a few cell phone photos. The camper needs TLC to address dry rot/water damage, but thanks(!) to the many members of this forum who have posted previous re-builds, asked, and answered questions- I know what I am looking at to accurately assess this camper, and the potential work involved to bring the vintage camper back to a full life. I would like to keep the camper original as possible, but at the same time bring some things up-to-date, so I am making my top priority versus my want list.

Amenity-wise, the only thing the camper is lacking is a heater. Here are the things I love about this camper:
  • It is original; doesn’t look like it has any major modifications;
  • The interior is in awesome shape sans water damage and/or dry rot- which considering its age, is to be expected; how deep the damage goes…time will tell;
  • The appliances in general are in pristine condition; there is a stove top, fridge and porta-potti; the appliances look like they have never been used and the counter tops look immaculate;
  • There is a mirror on the curbside counter- it is hinged to, and folds flat on the counter; I am not sure if this was an AC standard/upgrade feature or a PO modification; but I do like it;
  • On the face cabinet under the sink there is are 2-12v plugs; each with push/pull controls to turn on/off; again, I am not sure if this is an AC standard/upgrade feature or a PO modification;
  • Looks like original fabric on the cushions; but maybe not, as there is no covering on the water tank compartment, or it is missing/hidden in a storage area;
  • The hydraulic systems currently works as it should.
What the heck are they? There are two items on the front wall- located between the table edges and hydraulic lift posts; they look like old school tilt-out ashtrays. Does anyone know if they are ashtrays? Are they something else?

Thanks, and have a great evening!

Attachments

• Camper Dinette.jpg
    Camper Dinette.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 353
  • Camper Stove.jpg
    Camper Stove.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Camper Door.jpg
    Camper Door.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 300
Thanks hangster. She is not perfect, but with some work will be awesome for me, Sweet Georgia Brown (my dog), and the grandkids to head out for a few days of camping.

As much as I like the cabover versions, for some reason I am more drawn to the older NCO versions. I am glad I found this one, as they tend to be elusive in my area.

Once she is here, I can better assess what needs to be fixed and/or added to her. [SIZE=11pt] I am fortunate to live on an island with some amazing folks- boat builders and woodworkers, who can help and guide me fixing the old girl up. The list of things to do is shaping up pretty good. In no particular order is my working list:[/SIZE]
  • Address the bottom door spread;
  • Address the water/dry rot damages;
  • Pull out windows and reseal;
  • Add new perimeter seals;
  • Add missing bullet lights to exterior and refurbish as needed;
  • Redo the entire wiring system; install 12V solar system (I already have a complete 200W system);
  • Add LED lights;
  • Find and install a heater for cold-weather camping;
  • Find a set of boat racks for the top;
  • Make curtains and switch out window shades, & storing any original shades;
  • Add a Fantastic or Max fan; maybe two- one at each end;
  • Add a C-channel (maybe 2- one for each side), & an awning;
  • Replace the window eyebrows;
  • Refurbish appliances as needed; I may change (but save), the fridge out for a newer 12V one;
  • Install a urine separating composting toilet with a 12V fan- I have to figure out how/where to put the exhaust pipe;
  • Figure out a way to rig an inside shower of some sorts; outdoor shower is not an issue as I already own a Zodi and a larger Marey HWOD system;
  • Drain, refill, bleed and change O-rings in the hydraulic system as needed;
  • Contemplate adding upper cabinets for storage; I do like the openness of the space without the cabinets; I would love to have more storage- I have a ton of 4-season camping equipment, gear & tools and would like to blend some equipment/tools into the camper;
  • Address any floor issues inside and out- especially the bottom and what I find after ripping out the carpet;
  • Paint the exterior;
  • Contemplate painting/wallpapering a small portion of the interior; LOL! I am a girl and need a little bit of bling
  • Go camping with the grand kids, make memories and have fun!
I am sure as I go along my to do list, I will have lots of questions.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

that's a lot of tinkering..sounds like an enjoyable project.
I'm pretty sure the "ashtrays" are metal 'guide slides' or whatever they're called.
They keep the lid straight as it raises and lowers

If the old girl is going to be refurbished, she might as well be refurbished properly. Lots of work, but doesn't all have to be done at once.

You are probably right about the 'ashtrays'. They are directly under the guides. LOL! I do remember when ashtrays were a common place item.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Congrats, TLC may be an understatement, I'm not trying to be discouraging, but that's likely to be a pretty big project if you want to get it rot free.
Of course there is nothing that says you couldn't use it like it is if the price is right.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Welcome to the "cult". That's a nice Alaskan would like to see more pics.
Have fun with it.
Frank
Thank you for the welcome! I totally get the 'cult' thing...I own a Jeep, I don't need to say any more. LOL!

Unfortunately, at this time I do not have additional photos. The camper is located in another state, and it took a while for the owner to get these images to me. Which is OK by me- the owner is 81 years old and he is learning how to use an iPhone. I think that he (owner), totally rocks!!

Ripperj said:
Congrats, TLC may be an understatement, I'm not trying to be discouraging, but that's likely to be a pretty big project if you want to get it rot free.
Of course there is nothing that says you couldn't use it like it is if the price is right.
Hello Ripperj,

Yeah...(she says with no attempt to smother the mischievous giggle)..the old girl may be a handful, but...she does come at a great price. Until I move back to the mainland, I don't anticipate taking her very far; the grand kids here are still young enough that they would get a blast out of camping in the woods out in the back yard.

I truly do not take your comments as discouraging- they are taken as sage wisdom from someone who has done a(n awesome) rebuild of an AC. I am sure she is usable as is for now, but the reality is- she needs work; how much, I won't know exactly until she gets here; and even then it will take time; everything is not going to happen overnight. It will be a labor of love. I just feel that regardless of the time and money (within reason), spent fixing her up, I will not only have an awesome camper, but it will be better than anything you could buy on the market built by today's standards; and maybe one day, my grand kids will take their children camping in it...who knows what the future holds :)

I would suggest that instead of doing a complete teardown/repair as you have seen others do around here right off the bat....that you zero in on replacing the Pirelli seals and get the window flashing the front/rear seams gently removed and new sealer installed. I forget the name but the members will be able to remember better than I can.

Those repairs can be done NOW as long as you can safely tarp the AK long enough to dry out when you get it home and order those items. That way you and the GKs can enjoy the camper this summer and not have to worry about any rot getting worse. You can familiarize yourself with the operations, maybe top off the hydraulic fluid so the top works well and get OUT THERE...even if out there is your back yard!

Then, in winter when you would probably not be heading to the Gobi desert or Mount Whatchamacallit...you can begin to do the repairs further. You'll just need to have a DRY and WARM place to keep it during the repairs or you just won't even WANT to go outside in lousy weather!

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom