Thought on what to do with spare tire space

cdbrow1

I was lying on my back under my rig the other day ruminating on what to do with the space currently occupied by my (too small) spare tire and I had what might be a great idea I thought I would get some feedback on.

My initial plan was an additional diesel tank, but a few hours research turned me off on that idea. I already have 500 miles range, and spending $2,000 to increase it just didn't appeal to me.

What about a Grey Water tank. The space is low on the truck, running a drain line down from the sink seems really easy - all gravity feed, maybe a small hole in the bed of the truck. There is easily room for 10 gallons or more - although I doubt I would realistically need half of that unless I plumb into the inside shower (which I never use anyway).

Any thoughts on this idea or other ideas what to do with this space? (Air compressor was one of my original plans).

You left out a very important element in your question that I suspect we might be puzzled by. Are you planning to have no spare tire? If so, why?

Viar Ultra onboard compressor.

Attachments

• viar.jpg
    viar.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 68
I have the same space since moving the spare out from under the truck. One thought was to fix the OEM spare carrier and carry two spares. Other thought was more fresh water and to put the propane tank down there. Doing that opens up a Lot of storage space in the camper.

Can put the OBA under the bed, outboard of the frame rails and fwd of either rear tire. I put the compressor on the left and the 3 (5?) gal tank on the right.

I thought about putting my ARB onboard air there after I got my Aluminess rear bumper w/spare carrier but then decided to leave it open in case I wanted to carry a 2nd spare at some point.

nikonron said:
10 gallon fresh water? Rather carry that than grey water myself. Ron
I have 26 in the camper - (20 in the tank and 6 in water heater).

Yukon said:
You left out a very important element in your question that I suspect we might be puzzled by. Are you planning to have no spare tire? If so, why?
Spare is too small since I put on 34 inch tires. Can't use it with the locker. In addtion it is "limited use." A full size spare with a "real tire" will be going on the back bumper.

ntsqd said:
I have the same space since moving the spare out from under the truck. One thought was to fix the OEM spare carrier and carry two spares. Other thought was more fresh water and to put the propane tank down there. Doing that opens up a Lot of storage space in the camper.

Can put the OBA under the bed, outboard of the frame rails and fwd of either rear tire. I put the compressor on the left and the 3 (5?) gal tank on the right.

I like this idea. My Hawk has no "outside" storage since it is self contained model. If I moved the propane "down stairs" I could free up a great storage area. Interesting....

Bombsight said:
Viar Ultra onboard compressor.
I already spent $150 on a Smithbuilt Air Compressor (yes the Viar is better) or I would probably have done this. It's still on my "maybe" list. Although I have another area I am looking at on Board air (need to do some measuring and if it works I will share) .

[SIZE=10.5pt]My vote would be go with the larger fuel tank. Even with a range of over 500 miles, I will take every bit I can get. I go though rural Nevada all the time and it’s not uncommon to go well over 100 miles before finding a place to fill up. Plus, I use my truck camper as an emergency preparedness rig, so I kept all fuels topped off ready to go if I ever needed too. I’ve had clients and business colleagues go though Hurricane Sandy and other natural disasters that made fuel impossible to get. I like knowing I have plenty on hand and ready to go. One of my next modes is to replace my rear tank with a larger one to give me 63 gallons of fuel capacity. [/SIZE]

97grandby said:
[SIZE=10.5pt]My vote would be go with the larger fuel tank. Even with a range of over 500 miles, I will take every bit I can get. I go though rural Nevada all the time and it’s not uncommon to go well over 100 miles before finding a place to fill up. Plus, I use my truck camper as an emergency preparedness rig, so I kept all fuels topped off ready to go if I ever needed too. I’ve had clients and business colleagues go though Hurricane Sandy and other natural disasters that made fuel impossible to get. I like knowing I have plenty on hand and ready to go. One of my next modes is to replace my rear tank with a larger one to give me 63 gallons of fuel capacity. [/SIZE]
Good points. I have 38 gallons or so. Going though Nevada can be tough - especially when that one station you are counting on is closed or out of go juice. The Titan kit is $1,700 less shipping and installation.

Back
Top Bottom