Thoughts after using my 2012 Fleet for 3 months

DonC

Since I asked so much of the forum over the last year in prep for my order I thought I should give back with what I finally bought, and my observations after several months of use.

A little about me and my usage. I have spent the last 45 years sleeping in the dirt, and on the side of El Cap and Half Dome and many alpine mountains. I’ve been there and done that. Now I’m within a few years of retirement and felt it was time to treat myself to a few comforts. I usually travel by myself in the Calif desert, east side of the Sierra, and White Mountains (Bristlecone Pine Forest). I hike, solo easy Sierra peaks (only up to 5.7 or so in my old age!), fly fish, and generally like to hang out in Tuolumne, Lee Vining, Mono Lake, Death Valley. I seldom camp in campgrounds – there is lots of BLM land around, and I know a few “special” places to camp.

When I started my search I had a 2006 4x4 4 cyl Tacoma. I really liked this truck and thought I would keep it for many years. Although some on the forums make it work with a 4 cyl, I just felt it would be to little, so I started my search for a 2nd gen V6 Tacoma. I ran across a 2006 4x4 V8 TRD Tundra with 36k miles that was in the same price range as all the Tacoma’s I was looking at, so I bought it. It gets essentially the same mpg, so why not.

I had not bought a used vehicle in many years so I was a little nervous, but it has turned out good. I got all the maintenance up to date, put in a new battery (just in case), installed E rated Michelin M&S2 tires, and Firestone Airbags with an onboard air compressor. I had the airbags installed by a top local suspension shop. When I talked to him about problems people discussed on the forum, he felt it was generally improper installation and torque. He has installed 1000’s and never had a problem. With this work, I felt I was good to go with the truck.

I then worked with Steve at FWC and figured out my order over the course of several months including 2 trips to Woodland, going to the Long Beach show, reading every post on this forum, and asking many of my own questions.

It was worth all the time because after 3 trips and 14 nights in the camper since April, I am totally happy with the truck, camper, and the options I selected.

So, here’s a few thoughts on the camper and options:

Fleet – even though I could have gotten a Kestral or Hawk for the Tundra, I went with the Fleet. The Kestral is made for the Tundra but I felt it was too specialized if I ever needed to sell. The Hawk sits high on the 1st gen Tundra, looks a little wide, and I felt wind resistance could be a problem. I also figured that if anything happens to the Tundra, I will go down in size to a Tacoma, so I wanted a camper that would fit a smaller truck also. I am totally happy with the Fleet. It’s a perfect fit on the Tundra and suits my needs perfectly.

Roll-over couch. This was the area I struggled with most – couch, dinette, or the new self-contained model. I was convinced I wanted the couch. With no coaching from me, my wife also selected the couch when she saw all three at Long Beach. I have spent 1000’s of nights in hotels in my travels over the last 30 years, and I do everything sitting on the bed in the hotel room, I don’t use the silly little desks. When I'm ready to settle in for the night, I roll-over the couch and I can read, work on my computer, watch a movie, etc. with full head room. At home, my wife and I eat sitting on the floor at a low table, so sitting cross-legged on the couch is just like home. The frig and all the cupboards are accessible. You also have the full window right beside you, so it’s great. It’s also a good surface to invite friends in at night to play cards or play a game. Its like sitting on the floor at home and none of the other configurations allow this. Yes, even at 60 years old, I spend a lot of time on the floor… Finally, the storage under and beside it, are huge. Lets hear it for the couch!

Apache fabric – love it. It looks like a camper should and really hides the dirt and shoe marks which are part of life in a small camper.

Two aux batteries and solar – meets my needs with the compressor frig and spending 2 hours or so each night charging my Mac, various camera batteries and devises, and watching a movie. I’ve had to learn about this stuff and learn the limits, but this set-up is required for my needs.

Compressor frig – having a real frig/freezer is a treat. No concern about propane or needing to park level. Spend a few $$ more and get a frig/freezer that works 24x7. Coming down from a hike or peak and reaching in and grabbing an ice cream – well… it’s something to not be missed, especially in Death Valley.

Heater – if you don’t have a real frig and heater, why get a camper! The new heaters work great and are reasonably quiet. Last week I was taking a time-lapse at the Patriarch Grove in the Bristlecone Pines at 11,000’. Going back and forth to my camera from 10 pm to 2 am it was nice to turn on the heater, even for 10 minutes, to knock down the chill.

Upgraded sink and stove – I showed the standard and the upgrade to my wife at Long Beach – she selected the upgrade. So without telling her the price difference, that’s what we got. It was absolutely the right decision. They are not only much higher quality, but when dinner is done, it makes a nice flat table for my 3 camera bags at night so I can clean-up and get ready for the next day.

Lift assist – I did not originally get the lift assist. I felt it was pretty easy to lift the model camper roof at the factory, but did not realize how much added effort there was when the solar panel was added. I read all the posts about external lifts that people do and looked into that. After a visit to the factory to discuss options I was convinced that I did not want to do the external lift and had them install the internal lift assist with 80 lb struts– it works great. What at first looks awkward, the internally lift is really invisible after a few days of use. Anyone with solar that is not lifting weights everyday should get the lift assist.

Odds and ends – florescent lights, screen door, Yakima tracks, rear steps – all good.

Storage – Coming from a climbing/hiking background it seems to me that the FWC has a huge amount of storage! I leave in two weeks to do the John Muir Trail (221 miles of hiking), and I can get all of my equipment, clothing and food for 7 days in a 2500cc pack, so no complaints from me about the Fleet storage. The key for me is to continue to pack like a backpacker – my first aid kit and repair kit fit in a ziplock and stow in the battery compartment, I only bring one pot, 1 cup, etc, etc. With the exception of a low profile food box that fits to the right of the sink and does not need to be moved when the roof is lowered, when I’m ready to go everything is stored in the various drawers and cupboards, and under and behind the couch. Nothing is on the floor or on the couch. The only thing in the cab of my truck is my camera gear and my daypack for hiking. All nice and tidy. I’m sure that I will continue to add stuff I don’t really need as the decadence of having a camper and the horsepower of my truck to carry it all hits me.

That’s about it. It’s a great product and Tom and the FWC team are great folks and very helpful.

Although my Fleet is pretty standard, I’d be happy to post pictures if there is interest in seeing the details of a 2012 Fleet.

:LOL:
You sound like me when i got my Granby the year I retired-from backpacker/truck camper to hot water, ice cubs an a HEATER-and a screen door that kept out the critters at night-speaking of nights-could read all night if I wanted to and save on the flashlight batteries or campfire wood when it got dark---sort of miss that part, but you gotta give up somethings when you retire (No-not yet)! Just think of all that extra time you'll have now, no looking for the best place to set up camp and find the best place to pitch the tent out of the wind, or get the fire (or BPing stove that never works right) going to boil coffee in the morning-now just turn on the stove! I guess it is time to compromise, find that place to park the FWC, then hike into that neat lake for a day or two, then back to a cold beer and a nice rack. I am saying this!
\
It's been six years now since I retired and I am slowing down-as I found out camping out with Mark BC out in the Alvord desert, a month or two ago-some days those body parts don't want to move like they used too; but, as you will find out when the time comes, and if you can still drive, you can find that place alone or with friends where, you can take your time and do what you can still do and maybe sit in your strong back chair with a beer and enjoy this wonderful world we live in and hear the coyote's all night long. Do I miss not being able to backpack miles a day, yes-but the first thing you learn about retirement is when you see that sign on the side of the road and wonder where it goes and what's there (but you have only so many days of vaca-and no time to do it), now you can go and smell the flowers and take all the time in the world (baring must do commitments) to do it and have ice cubes and a heater too!

Enjoy :LOL:

Smoke

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds very similar to the camper I am currently planning in my head to hopefully purchase in the coming year. I am sure others like myself would like to see some pictures of your rig. Keep us updated.

Yes, a very nice overview.

Your choice of a 'lightly used' Tundra and the Fleet make perfect sense, resale and/or moving the camper to another vehicle platform are important aspects.

I like your observations on the couch, I've been giving the couch lots of consideration lately, specifically how I may or may not prefer a dinette over a couch. For now I've concluded that the couch offers more storage, more 'stretch-out' comfort for one, a nice stealth-camp option, and it's what I have in my used Hawk so I'll stay with it.

...snip...

Odds and ends – florescent lights, screen door, Yakima tracks, rear steps – all good.

snip...

I'm giving some thought to selling my Hawk and upgrading to a Raven to better fit my super-short bed and other truck build goals.

One of the options that I'm not sure about is the Yakima tracks vs. the aluminum luggage/boat rack?
Would you please share more of your thoughts regarding choosing the Yakima tracks?

I like the clean roof lines of Yakima tracks only, and the tracks (without a rack or basket) are not likely to get caught on trees and bend or break as is apparently fairly common with the aluminum roof rack ends in rough country. They may also offer slightly less wind resistance and noise, though I can see these as hard to perceive or quantify. However, if/when one wants to haul something on the roof, there is much added weight and expense added when buying the Yakima accessories to go with the Yakima tracks.

I won't be hauling a boat, but I've been leaning toward the aluminum rack (despite the negatives with trees and such) because it's ready to haul a few light, bulky things when needed. Much of my use will be solo, but when my wife is with the one thing I can see needing the roof rack for is bigger 'lawn' chairs, specifically folding outdoor recliners.

Comments? :)

Thanks

James

Back
Top Bottom