Thoughts on the NCO Cajita

Do you like the idea of a NCO FWC?

• Yes

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 56.4%

• Total voters
My camper is not ugly, how dare you say such a thing. Now I'll have to go and make sure its feelings weren't hurt.

I'm a single guy but I wouldn't be interested in a nco. Maybe on a Jeep though but it'd have to a lot cheaper.

So this discussion has brought up some talk of the price. Here is my take on it.

Yes, FWC are expensive! More or less $7,000 for a shell and $12,000 for a regular model.

But lets looks some of the other options.

Alaskan: $25,000 ($14,000 for the mini NCO that fits the Tacoma)
Twice the money and at least twice the weight.

FlipPac: Over $5,000 with the rain shell and paint match. Add a window and you are getting close to 6k.
I like the idea of a flippac, but for me it is not what I want to invest in. It is still a shell over a truck bed, so water and dust ingestion are a problem. Also it can not be loaded and unloaded at will, being a carpenter I would like to have my truck bed back. Needing a rain fly is a joke. (Although there is rumor the AT will update the fabric so the rain shell is not needed.) They are vehicle specific, so resale or change of vehicle is a problem. I want to build a 1,000,000 mile camper, so a change of vehicles will be made a few times.

Leer topper: What I am using now. $2,400 with zero resale value.

So a Four Wheel Camper is expensive, but I am not sure if it is way overpriced, especially considering the resale value these things are commanding. Do I wish they were more affordable, you bet, then I could talk about "my" camper instead of my "future" camper.

My camper is not ugly, how dare you say such a thing. Now I'll have to go and make sure its feelings weren't hurt.

Tell your camper I apologize, it is very good looking, for a camper. ;)

I think it's kinda cool.Not ugly to me. way better than just a regular snug-top like shell..
Also I can see the advantage of saving space if you store your FWC inside the garage for your "off season". Less chance of a leaky roof as well.
There, there's two positives.. :D

A week ago, Truck Camper Magazine (on line) notified me of a new cabover less camper from FWC. I think, cool, maybe this is what we can use: less cost, less weight, less wind resistance. I talked to Steve at FWC, looked at measurements of sleeping area, and cost vs space. Over the weekend, hubby and I discussed the pros and cons and decided to order the Eagle for our 1999 Tacoma 4x4. The reason? The sleeping area is too small for the two of us, especially me as I tend to run like an eggbeater all night. Also, getting up in the middle of the night for Nature's call would mean that one of us would have to crawl over the other to get out of bed.

I voted yes, however, as this would be a great setup for single hunters, photographers, canyoneers, other explorers, maybe with a dog or 2 or a kid. But, not 2 adults unless you are both very small or sleep soundly all night. This is a niche market approach which you have to do in today's economy. Also, that you can garage it on the truck if your neighborhood/community has laws against RVs outside (stupid) is a good selling point.

I think it's cool for exactly the type of person the article describes. Maximum amenities with the lightest weight and space.

That bed sure looks small though. I don't think I'd be comfortable giving up the large bed size of the eagle.

A week ago, Truck Camper Magazine (on line) notified me of a new cabover less camper from FWC. I think, cool, maybe this is what we can use: less cost, less weight, less wind resistance. I talked to Steve at FWC, looked at measurements of sleeping area, and cost vs space. Over the weekend, hubby and I discussed the pros and cons and decided to order the Eagle for our 1999 Tacoma 4x4. The reason? The sleeping area is too small for the two of us, especially me as I tend to run like an eggbeater all night. Also, getting up in the middle of the night for Nature's call would mean that one of us would have to crawl over the other to get out of bed.

I voted yes, however, as this would be a great setup for single hunters, photographers, canyoneers, other explorers, maybe with a dog or 2 or a kid. But, not 2 adults unless you are both very small or sleep soundly all night. This is a niche market approach which you have to do in today's economy. Also, that you can garage it on the truck if your neighborhood/community has laws against RVs outside (stupid) is a good selling point.

I don't think I buy the single guy argument for this thing. I do 99% of my travel alone or with the world's best dog so my equipment choice is for me, not for me and the occasional guest. I would still want the cabover bed. I can't think of any reason not to get it in my situation. Other than the reason stated below I really can't conceive of why a CO is a feature people wouldn't want.

IMO the only value of this design is for people that live in the city and have to garage the vehicle. And I do see this as a legitimate niche for the product so I'm not completely discounting the relevance of the model here.

In contrast, the Alaskan (although I wouldn't want this either) has the advantage that it's NCO is a true hard-sided popup. That is actually a differentiation from the CO design that offers some different functionality and hence is a more interesting product.

In contrast, the Alaskan (although I wouldn't want this either) has the advantage that it's NCO is a true hard-sided popup. That is actually a differentiation from the CO design that offers some different functionality and hence is a more interesting product.

Ah, that is the reason for an Alaskan NCO.

I had been thinking of buying a teardrop trailer with a FWC shell model to carry supplies. Don't need a cabover for that. But truth is I'd rather not deal with towing, easy as it is, or maintaining tires, tags, etc. But I still would prefer a Cajita version of the Keystone. Plan to spend summers in Real de Catorce, Mexico, which is accessed by a low, narrow tunnel. Rigs too tall or wide are denied entry into the tunnel. A cabover FWC would probably be ok but cutting it close. I'd be pretty disappointed if not allowed through. As far as space goes, the small door will work well with an Oztent so plenty of extra space. I'm glad FWC came up with this.

I don't think I buy the single guy argument for this thing. I do 99% of my travel alone or with the world's best dog so my equipment choice is for me, not for me and the occasional guest. I would still want the cabover bed. I can't think of any reason not to get it in my situation. Other than the reason stated below I really can't conceive of why a CO is a feature people wouldn't want.

IMO the only value of this design is for people that live in the city and have to garage the vehicle. And I do see this as a legitimate niche for the product so I'm not completely discounting the relevance of the model here.

Nice as it is the Alaskan is expensive and heavy. Can't carry it on my F-150. Due to budget concerns will have to stick with the F-150 so the Cajita is best bet on the market for me.

It is good to see the comments on the new Cajita Model.

:)

We know there won't huge market for this type of camper.

We also know it might not give you your best "bang for your buck" when it come to size vs. the price point.

The concept of this non-cabover, almost cab high type of camper is for a different type of customer.

These customers have been asking us for years of why we would not build something smaller (for whatever reason).

These customers seem to want the smallest, lowest profile, least impacting type of truck camper for their truck.

Rarely do they have a big 3/4 diesel truck, but more often a smaller 4 cyc. truck, so they can't put a long bed Grandby on it.

Some have twisted our arm and even offered to pay extra $$ for something custom.

We have also lost SO many sales over the years because the customer really wants a small truck camper, but HAS to be able to drive the camper in the garage each day.

Not all of our customers have the luxury of property, a big house with storage, or the ability to store the camper in a storage facility.

(Ex: a young outdoor type couple living in downtown Seattle in an apartment where underground parking is their only assigned parking space. NO cabover camper will fit. No storage facilities easily accessible to get the camper on Friday night for a quick weekend escape.)

(Ex: the camper owner the has pesty neighbors and lives in a housing community where they have homeowner rules & regulations. Good luck fighting or winning that battle).

(Ex: A single older man or woman traveling alone for the most part that just doesn't need much. Staying at friends or relatives most of the time while visiting their kids and needs their own room to be less of a burdon).

This new Cajita Model is not designed for the customer wanting more, but more for the customer that is needing less.

Hope this helps a little why FWC decide to come out with this new model.

We have had several ideas on the drawing board for years and things are slowly coming together now where we can hopefully expand on some new camper designs.

Talk behind the scenes says the next "new" FWC model coming in the near future is going to be a higher end model designed to fit on a ... "throws out another teaser"

Talk behind the scenes says the next "new" FWC model coming in the near future is going to be a higher end model designed to fit on a ... "throws out another teaser"

You're killing me.....

Hope this helps a little why FWC decide to come out with this new model.

I have no questions about why FWC is making this camper, I think it is a great little camper. In fact, it is strangely close to what I would want, but in the end I think I would go with a normal cabover.

We have had several ideas on the drawing board for years and things are slowly coming together now where we can hopefully expand on some new camper designs.

It will be great to see what you guys have planned. Personally I would put my money on a flatbed camper. (But you guys already make them for the overseas market, right? So it would be "new" that you were advertising them here in the States?)

It's beginning to sound like buying the latest iPad. Something better might be around the corner! Since FWC doesn't put an a/c on top I think after looking at it a cabover would work well for me. But I really like the idea someone mentioned of the Cajita's floorplan combined with a cabover. And would really like to see a hanging rod for clothes attached to the ceiling somewhere on the Keystone.

Give me a cabover Keystone made for a flat bed. needs to have some outside access to the area where the wheel wells were.

Love the dinette design now available, probably wouldn''t have bought Alaskan if had been available when I did.

Not only is it ugly...it is butt ugly and the only practical use I can imagine is for 1 person to sleep in at rest stops on multi-day trips to somewhere. There is not enough room for a hunter or a fisherman and their gear. I have a mid nineties Ranger II on a 1986 Toyota and I can tell you that it is perfect for 1 hunter on a 7-10 day trip. It is really cramped with 2 people and gear on anything but a weekend outing. The Cajita is just too small. Camping, hunting and fishing gear add up in a hurry. Who cares if it will fit into a garage if it isn't practical?

CWD

Not only is it ugly...it is butt ugly and the only practical use I can imagine is for 1 person to sleep in at rest stops on multi-day trips to somewhere. There is not enough room for a hunter or a fisherman and their gear. I have a mid nineties Ranger II on a 1986 Toyota and I can tell you that it is perfect for 1 hunter on a 7-10 day trip. It is really cramped with 2 people and gear on anything but a weekend outing. The Cajita is just too small. Camping, hunting and fishing gear add up in a hurry. Who cares if it will fit into a garage if it isn't practical?

CWD

It is all relative.

I have spent over 200 nights inside my Leer topper with two people. And I carry a ton of gear, literally. The Cajita would be a palace compared to my topper.

CWD

I can see your point on the model shown. I think the Granby and the Keystone would be fine for some. One thing that made me think twice about it is to get a 6'4" int ht with the low profile they really had to use alot of fabric. Will there be issues with high wind? But I do think Stan pointed out a number of good reasons to have one so if it works for someone it's great that a company is meeting those needs. I really wish he'd just go ahead and tell us what they plan for future models.

Back
Top Bottom