Three Nights At Benton Hot Springs - November 2019

Thanks Ski.Manzanar is a place we need to go.
Sharons co teacher was born there just at the end.
Her family came from Watsonville and after internment
settled in the San Jose area. Her father owned a lot of fruit tree farm acres.

My sales route was in Watsonville for 28 years and a lot of my store customers
were interned there.
They would tell me about some of their life.Sad Sad part of our history.

You need to be careful with the soaking at Benton.You lose too many years and your "geezer" card will be revoked.

Great full moon. Missed it here again full moon means fog here.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
You need to be careful with the soaking at Benton.You lose too many years and your "geezer" card will be revoked.
No matter how many years we knock off the clock, we've earned our geezer cards and are not letting go of them. :)

I live in a part of town known as Florin. Before the war it was largely populated by Japanese immigrants who grew strawberries. Sadly most never came back from internment. A few had their land looked after but not nearly enough.

Prewar[SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]
During the early 20th century Florin's economy focused on agricultural production. Strawberries were the most common produce grown. Japanese immigrants were the dominant group in Florin and they were the predominant farmers in Florin, making the area noted for being a Japanese immigrant community. This immigrant group's rendering of land in Florin had some popular renown. "In his report to Governor William Stephens, Colonel John P. Irish, president of the California Delta Association, described Japanese triumph: 'They [the Californians] had seen the Japanese convert the barren land like that at Florin and Livingston into productive and profitable fields, orchards and vineyards, and intelligence of their industry.'"[8]
The presence of Japanese immigrants in Florin was not always met with such good will as expressed by Colonel Irish. "As soon as a Jap can produce a lease," the Sacramento Bee warned, "he is entitled to a wife. He sends a copy of his lease back home and gets a picture bride and they increase like rats. Florin [a valley farming town] is producing 85 American-born Japs a year."[9] This article was in critical response to the Gentlemen's Agreement of 1907 between the US and Japan.
World War II[SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]
Local and Federal treatment of Nisei (Japanese immigrants and US-born Japanese Americans) in Florin took a drastic downturn upon the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the subsequent war between the US and Japan. At the time, about 2,500 Florin residents were Nikkei, forming a majority of the town's population.[10] With a little fear and a lot of racial hostility, the Federal Government sent Japanese and Japanese Americans to internment camps according to FDR's Executive Order 9066. Florin Japanese American resident and educator Mary Tsukamoto recalled "everyone was given short notice for removal. Signs had been nailed to the telephone poles saying that we had to report to various spots."[11] Florin's Japanese and Japanese American residents were forced to "register as families. We had to report to the Elk Grove Masonic Building where we were given our family numbers, No. 2076."[11] The Elk Grove Masonic Building referred to by Tsukamoto was located in neighboring Elk Grove near a railroad station where the Florin residents were shipped in rail cars to distribution hubs. At these distribution hubs Florin's residents of Japanese descent were then sent to internment camps far from the coast.
The internment forever changed the character of Florin. Japanese and Japanese American residents had to sell their property within only a few days and often at prices far below their fair market value. When the Japanese and Japanese Americans were released from the internment camps some were able to return to Florin and start over. Most had to move on to other areas. Florin ceased to be a Japanese American community as it was before the internment.

Very sad time in our history.

Thanks Craig great story.
A lot of the families from Watsonville were able to have friends keep their property for them.
But most lost everything and never came back to the town.
Yes such a sad time in our history.

It was always great to talk to some of my Japanese customers and hear their stories first hand.

Frank

My birthday's coming up - wouldn't mind turning the clock back a few years!! I've passed Manzanar so many times, always on my way to somewhere or another. I've promised myself that Manzanar will be one of my stops next time down 395!!
BTW - I've read some comments about how lucky we geezers are to have the senior pass. Well, a person can qualify for the America The Beautiful Volunteer Pass based on their volunteer hours supporting the NPS. I've qualified in the past performing trail maintenace projects in the Sierra. Or, just buy an annual pass. One road trip and it pays for itself!!

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Happy Birthday!

In these recent years you kids have introduced me to lots of incredible geology in DVNP and elsewhere in California and Nevada, and to top it off, to the splendid Benton Hot Springs. I'm determined to see each before it's all over. Many thanks for the inspiration!

Foy

Another great trip report. I still need to stay at Benton, had a spot reserved two years ago and an illness caused us to cancel. I could use soaking a few years off. Manzanar should be on everyones list. I was impressed with the exhibits. I was sobering looking at the long list of people who stayed there. I got the chills looking at a smaller list, Internees who joined the Army. I saw the name Frank Sakata Jr. who I worked with at Tillie Lewis Foods cannery in Stockton CA.

craig333 said:
I live in a part of town known as Florin. Before the war it was largely populated by Japanese immigrants who grew strawberries. Sadly most never came back from internment. A few had their land looked after but not nearly enough.

Very sad time in our history.
I grew up in Richmond, BC. MANY of my ethnic background (Mennonite) had profited at the expense of the Japanese when they were interned, as their land was available for cheap in the whole lower mainland. Ironic, since the Mennonites themselves were also interred during the war.

We so easily see the enemy as "them".... when often it is "us".

Peace,

Vic

Another great TR. I may have to visit that Fountain of Youth.

Manzanar, as are the other internment camps, is a stark reminder of a very sad time in our nation’s history. We can not allow that to happen again. Thank you for that reminder.

billharr said:
<snip>
Manzanar should be on everyones list. I was impressed with the exhibits. I was sobering looking at the long list of people who stayed there. I got the chills looking at a smaller list, Internees who joined the Army. I saw the name Frank Sakata Jr. who I worked with at Tillie Lewis Foods cannery in Stockton CA.
Yes Bill, we were very impressed with the exhibits also. NPS has done a remarkable job with the displays, reconstructions, and narrative. Excellent work by the National Park Service.

Even though we've only stayed there once I feel like an ambassador for Benton Hot Springs. I encourage like minded folks to book a visit. We stayed in #5, next time I hope to try #2, but would be perfectly content to stay at #5 again. Not nearly enough of an exhibitionist to want to try #11.....

There are two places that I've visited in recent history that I had a really hard time with. Manzanar and the 9/11 Memorial. Strongly suggest visiting both, even though both - for different reasons - should make you pretty uncomfortable.

Some day I hope to catch the gymkhana staged on the Manzanar airport strip. Having been to the drags at Inyokern and the LSR racing at El Mirage I'm guessing that its a similar experience.

Ski- This report has the photos loading the fastest they ever have in one of your contributions. Did you do something different? Typically I've finished reading and the photos are far from finished loading.
I certainly appreciate your reports and have gotten inspiration and thoughts for my own explorations from them.
The internment sites in Arizona have been pretty sanitized and or obliterated.
Thanks

Good trip Ski, enjoyed your TR. You know your trip to Manzanar made me remember when I was a kid growing up in Sonoma, California. Part of my family job was to walk down a couple of times every week to Matzeama's local corn field/store during the harvest time and get a bag of corn for dinner. What makes this story so interesting is from what my dad told me, that while the family was interned during the war, the town took care of his farm and unlike so many other places, returned it to the family after the war.

If anyone ever gets up to Tule Lake on the Ca/Oregon border there are the remains of the Tule Lake Internment camp. BLM was working on trying to protect, fence and sign parts of it when I retired so not sure how much was completed; I know there are some signs along Ca 139 there pointing out its location. As a side several of the original buildings were still in the area-they had been used as living quarters for farm workers, and the plan was to move them to the camps location, don't know if that ever got done.

Smoke

takesiteasy said:
More places to check out. I do wish that some hot springs were closer to home. Thanks for the report!
I'd done it before but forgot the outcome (geezerdom slowly creeping in). Raleigh, NC to Benton, CA is 2,600 miles via any of 3 really terrible routes. Think I need to incorporate some wandering on the way to and from and just make a month out of it. Not sure I can again take the sight of heading westbound out of KC on I-70 and seeing the sign "Denver 608".
Ski and The Lady are truly inspirational. Hopefully the tourism boards in both CA and NV routinely fork over commissions for their posted trip reports!
Foy

Another interesting trip. Geology is always an interesting topic and after our trip to Utah we are looking forward to more adventures. Thanks for sharing. jd

Back
Top Bottom