Thunder Mtn and environs

craig333

Riley's Human
I almost hooked up the Jeep, at the last moment I decided not to. Had a late start and stopped at my usual spot off the Silver Fork road. In the morning during breakfast I heard some heavy equipment up by the old iron mountain ski resort. Odd. Turns out they're running an underground power line into Kirkwood. Certain people here motivated me to do a bit more hiking and I headed up to do the Thunder Mountain trail. Fortunately the forecast thunderstorms were no where to be seen. Unfortunately it super hazy to the West and just hazy every other direction as you can see here.
img_85669_0_c1148950e60be2602c7629f852d67d67.jpg
[/URL]
Didn't make for good photography. Quite a few people on the trail. On the way in I aggravated a groin injury. Ah well, just don't stop and it'll be okay. I did finally get clear on the way the emigrant trail runs. I could see where Squaw ridge runs behind Kirkwood. All this time I'd assumed it went through Kirkwood.
img_85669_2_90fdaad9e87d7d92a69914335ab4628f.jpg
[/URL]
On the hike out my back was aching and my knee was killing me. Is this why I stopped hiking?
Visited with a friend at Silver Lake before heading off back down the Silver fork road and on over to the Crystal Basin. I was surprised to find out Robbs Resort has been reopened and renamed to 22 mile marker resort. Tent camping there is very reasonable but when I was informed my rig is an "RV" I'd have to pay the thirty dollar rv fee. On to Uncle Tom's. I wasn't going to stay there but after medicating my knee it seemed like a good idea, and very reasonable too.

Now I'd really like to do the hike Ski did behind Caples Lake. Being as I can barely walk today thats going to have to wait till I see what the doc says.

Yup, after all these years of running on diesel generators, Kirkwood is finally getting hooked up to the grid and nice that it will all be underground and not miles and miles of overhead wires.

Good for you gettin' out and hiking.

I believe we saw you driving through the area again. :)

Back
Top Bottom