Tie downs

Steven Cooper

Switching out eye bolts. To stainless steel tie down brackets . On 2012 Eagle. Anybody done this

Not certain how to point you to them...but there have been many, many posts concerning differing tie down options and shackle types on this forum...try a search?

Lots of tips, some more valuable than others, that will help you make a decision.

I've snapped elevator bolts on two occasions. Wondering if replacing the eyebolt tie down with the new stainless bracket is a viable solution. Anybody else braking these .

Hi Steven

Where do you live? Tractor Supply stores sell some very nice and affordable forged turnbuckles and an assortment of eye bolts.

What hardware do you have that has broken ?

David Graves

North Oregon coast

Which "eye bolts" ? The lifting bolts on the camper? That certainly isn't the weakest link in the camper-tie-down chain. Have you broken something, or are you just trying to upgrade preemptively?

Haven't had any problem with the turnbuckles . It's the carriage bolt through the base of the camper . The eyelet nut fastens to. Replaced once with a grade six bolt snapped that to . I heard FourWheel doesn't use this system any longer.

Steven Cooper said:
Haven't had any problem with the turnbuckles . It's the carriage bolt through the base of the camper . The eyelet nut fastens to. Replaced once with a grade six bolt snapped that to . I heard FourWheel doesn't use this system any longer.
Are they snapping through regular use? Or when you're cranking your turnbuckles?

Steven Cooper said:
They don’t, it’s a large, angle plate with a hole for the turnbuckle hook.. Going from memory, I believe it might be stainless. There is a good size plate on the top of the wing as well.

Regular use. I don't think , I'm over tightening the turnbuckles. Handtight , then half a turn with a lever. Then checking every few days, while on the road. Have found them a little loose but never slack.

Steven, I happen to have my camper off my truck at the moment so I thought I'd take a few pics, maybe it'll help you figure out what to do.

Attach0 (15).jpg
Attach0 (16).jpg

The first pic shows how the eyebolt is attached to/through my wheel well. There's a plate on the bottom to keep the eyebolt from pulling through. The next post is probably what you want to see.

This is a pic of what the turnbuckle connects to on the camper. Probably different from what you have. I took two pics of the same thing, from different angles, so you can see what it looks like. Basically, a piece of angle steel with a hole in it for the turnbuckle, bolted onto the camper with three bolts. You can probably get these from FWC if you email them, or just make some yourself out of a piece of angle iron.

Attach0 (17).jpg
Attach0 (18).jpg

Hope that helps.

Steven Cooper said:
Regular use. I don't think , I'm over tightening the turnbuckles. Handtight , then half a turn with a lever. Then checking every few days, while on the road. Have found them a little loose but never slack.
Steven,

Perhaps not relevant to your original question, but using jam nuts on the bolts threaded into the turnbuckles will eliminate any loosing once you tighten the turnbuckles and then the jam nuts.

Phil

I haven't had any problems with the bolts on the camper, or the truck, but plan on replacing mine with something similar to the current-generation angle iron with hole if/when I do.

I find that the turnbuckles seem loose after mounting the camper, as everything settles in. Once I re-tighten the next day, everything stays in place.

Thanks for all your input.Going to start with the jam nuts. Maybe switch over to the angle steel if need be.

Wallowa said:
Steven,

Perhaps not relevant to your original question, but using jam nuts on the bolts threaded into the turnbuckles will eliminate any loosing once you tighten the turnbuckles and then the jam nuts.

Phil
Great idea. I'm going to do this also. Simple but effective.

Back
Top Bottom