tie

griz

Can the factory hold downs in the box of the Dodge Quad Cab short box 4x4, hold down a FWC.
I can not recall reading past post of this. Stan the man would know but thought i would lay this on the members here
as well. Thanks to all..

Meant too say "tie downs"

The tie downs on the side of the box, aren't they a plastic material? If so I sure wouldn't do it for a permanent installation.

My 2005 Toyota Tundra has those 4 metal bed tie downs as well. I use the two in the front and have had the same thought.With that said it's been 4 months and a few road trips and everything is fine so far. I have a 1996 Ranger II in the bed.

No the metal ones on the bed of the truck. One in each of the four corners.
thks

It vaguely rings a bell now that I think about it, I'd likely inspect the backside of those to see how well they were attached (should be able to see from the underside). My suspicion is it'd likely be fine to transport a camper that wasn't going to be a permanent install however over time if you're on rougher roads I bet you'd start seeing distortion of the bed around there and possible failure of the welds in that piece.

It is usually a much better idea to install the 4 forged eye bolts in the truck bed.

If you install the turn buckles to the truck tie downs clips, the turn buckles will be pulling forward, but not downwards much.

Having the turn buckles pulling forward is ok for a short term thing and will keep the camper from sliding out of the back, but it won't be pulling the camper down, so if you hit a big bump the camper might be able to hop / bounce in the truck bed a little.

It is better to have the camper tie downs (turn buckles) pulling the camper downwards and in opposite directions.

Depending on the camper and truck bed size, you will usually NOT be able to get the turn buckles on the rear clips in the truck bed. The camper base will be in the way.

Are you just trying to get a used camper home and asking for details on how to do it safely ?

Or are you wanting to set up your truck the right way for a long term tie down solution ?

There are different ways just to get a camper home in a pinch situation.

Once you get the camper home, then you can take your time to get the truck set up correctly with the right tie downs and wiring.

Just call Terry in our service dept. if you need help with eye bolt locations.

FWC SERVICE

800-242-1442

ASK FOR TERRY

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

:)

Thks gang for the replys most helpfull. I will give Terry a call for sure thankyou. Time permitting would like to install properly at the sellers location. If not good to use the Dodge factory eyes for the ride home which the unit will be m/t. Thanks again, fingers crossed, hope to be a owner in 14 days.

I just brought home a Grandby in my 2005 Dodge 2500 LB. I had Happi-jac tie downs mounted on the truck from my previous full size camper install.

I used regular ratchet straps hooked to the top of the camper jack bracket and the front camper tie down (which is outside the truck bed). You might find a suitable hook spot under your cab (under the rear doors). The rear was between the jack bracket and the rear bumper. I used very light tension, worked great.

A few days ago I drilled and mounted some 3/8" galvanized forged eyebolts with large washers in the truck bed. The Dodge has a one piece bed with a radius between the floor and sidewall and around the fender wells, so placing the drill holes is a bit tricky, need to find a flat surface, this forces you to move them in closer to the camper wall. The drilled holes are recommended to be 10" from the bed front wall on a 2006 Grandby for reference. In the rear, you have to double check the holes clear the wider extension of the camper. The curved fender walls lengthen the fender and puts a squeeze on the suitable good area for my rear bolt holes.

K7MDL
Thanks for sharing your expierence. Sounds like a few small plot holes may happen. For the ride home I think I will use the tie downs that are already in the floor of the dodge (factory). The seller said that is all he used. Think I like the eye bolt and proper location placement better. My buddy is over in Belfair so we can get r done there, the rite way. Thanks a million.

And one bit of info for you, Terry at FWC is a great guy to talk to.

I do not like the how the eyebolts in my truck bed are flexing so easily so I plan to cut some backing plates to fit between the bed support flanges underneath the truck bed. For the bouncy roads I plan to travel I can see a problem coming.

For the hole location, I measured it all out (several times) and marked it with a magic marker then dropped the camper on and checked there was proper clearance for the washers, eyebolt and turnbuckle hook ends. On the left front you have some gas fill and vent lines underneath but 10" (on my long bed) ended up about 1-2" aft of them. The rest were clear of obstacles below. Then I drilled pilot holes, double chacked, and then went for the 3/8" holes.

I do not like the how the eyebolts in my truck bed are flexing so easily so I plan to cut some backing plates to fit between the bed support flanges underneath the truck bed. For the bouncy roads I plan to travel I can see a problem coming.

For the hole location, I measured it all out (several times) and marked it with a magic marker then dropped the camper on and checked there was proper clearance for the washers, eyebolt and turnbuckle hook ends. On the left front you have some gas fill and vent lines underneath but 10" (on my long bed) ended up about 1-2" aft of them. The rest were clear of obstacles below.

On my dodge for the front tie downs I when through that box tub across the front underside of the bed.

Terry from FWC sent me the pic for the eye bolt location, seems to be straight forward. Having said that it is only a guide, so I will take your advise. He did say they use fender washer'sas well above an below the truck bed.
Any hoot lads, thanks for tips, really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom