Time to do some maintenance on the wood

craig333

Riley's Human
I'm just about ready to unload the camper and do some sanding/sealing and painting. Probably reinforce the tie down points (it was iffy last time and I really should have done it then) and cover the wood under the bed rails and by the tailgate. Got lucky at Blue Collar (they sell nuts and bolts, remnant metals etc, really cool place for small projects, hope your town has something like it. Without bolts by the pound I'd never have the collection at home that I do) and scored a piece of aluminum perfectly cut for the bed rail. Waiting to get my diamond plate from ebay.

What my question really is is whether I should screw and use an adhesive under the metal or just screw it on. Seems and adhesive would help keep everything water tight I'm just wondering if I'm not thinking of something.

KILR0Y said:
To me it would depend on if I ever wanted to remove it again in the future for ANY reason. Just something to ponder before you use any adhesive under there. Will the sealing/gluing properties justify applying it?

Sent from my S5 using Wander The West mobile app
x2. You could always just seal the edges with silicone to keep the water out.

I painted the wood on my camper; repaired deep scratches with woodworkers epoxy, primed any areas where I sanded through, then 2 coats of a porch/deck paint. The guy at the hardware store recommended porch/deck paint for its durability. You'll need to caulk and seal around the metal or it will hold moisture and rot out behind it.

Back
Top Bottom