Time to go fishing

Darryla

Its time to start what I purchased the camper for. Next Saturday fishing season opens in the mountain streams. I am going up to Kennedy meadows area on Hwy 108. One of my favorite fishing areas. The water will be high and the fish not biting much, but I gotta go. Ah, knowing we can go inside when it gets cold in the evening.

I just hope I do not have to work next Saturday.

Darryl

a bad day of fishing is better than...

I'm trying to decide between the Burney area with Hat Creek, Fall River, or the McCloud versus one of the tributaries of the N. Fork of the Stanislaus above Dorington. It will be a day to day decision but I'll be wetting a line somewhere.

Dorrinton

Hi HikerCook: Can you tell me a little more specifically where you would go up by Dorrington? I am imaging that you off Hwy 4 somewhere? The road is still closed at Alpine lake from what I can tell. I know the area reasonable well and go up there a lot. You must come down 49 to Hwy 4 if I am correct?

I have also fished the Burney - Pit River area, but that is too far for me right now to go.

Thank you,

Darryl

Dorrington

Bear Creek is a major tributary to the N. Fork of the Stan. You can access it at Calaveras Big Trees State Park or farther upstream at the Sourgrass Crossing Rec Area off Boards Crossing Rd. east of Dorrington. In the early season Bear Creek is often fishable when the N. Fork of the Stanislaus is still running high. Best of luck to you.

Ya can't fish in the Winter in CA? (er is this for salmon 'er something/)

I have friends who guide/fish here all year around. Word I've heard is that this year has been exceptional because we had ample moisture early on and an early melt in March which brought the river up but kept the turbidity down.

have fun

mtn

Ya can't fish in the Winter in CA? (er is this for salmon 'er something/)

Much of the states waters are open year round but many inland rivers/streams have a fixed season beginning the last Saturday in April to November 15th.

I hear you.....

It is time to get out.

We just got a floating month furlough starting in July. More time than usual to camp next year.

Is there some sort of calendar that we have on this website where we can put up our camping dates... the ones that are open to the public ;)

It might be an interesting idea:D

DD, you hear me?

Thanks for the info, hikercook. It's interesting to see how the states approach things differently.

Have fun gettin' it wet, boyz!:thumb:

Thanks for the info, hikercook. It's interesting to see how the states approach things differently.

Have fun gettin' it wet, boyz!:thumb:

Hey mtn-high,

I am trying to do the "shakedown trip" with my daughter and the new camper this weekend over near Hotchkiss, on the lower Gunnison River. Like you said I fish and guide here all year long. Almost no guiding during the winter though. It's nice to know Colorado sees no need for "fishing Seasons". I suffered with fishing seasons my entire childhood in New Jersey! I never did like that. I may even fill the water tank and give everything it's first try. I am thinking I made a really good decision for myself. I can't think of any modifications I would do to the camper right now. Not to mention I don't want to do any modifications if I can help it. Being a full time single dad, I don't want to spend time and money making changes I don't really need. I may have to have a number of trips under my belt before I may notice something I would change. Anyway, I'll try to get some pictures up after the weekend.

It's always time to go fishing

And in fact because of the current market conditions in the commercial fishing industry we have been forced to stop fishing untill the fall, which means I get my first real vacation in 24 yrs. So I guess the recession had sort of a silver lining for me. I'm addicted to fishing in case you can't tell. So this spring I'll hit my two or three favorite JUMBO TROUT spots, Strawberry Res. in Utah, Henerys Lake in Idaho, and my all time favorite Eagle Lake in Calif. I realized today that I've been a Fish Nut for a total of 58 yrs. I can't kick the habit, but I can't say I feel any worse for it. Fishing for that long on the ocean and fresh water, I've learned a few things and in some ways gained an advantage in the fishing game, if I can ever help anybody with fish info or methods or gear just ask, but I'm not going to tell you everything.

Back
Top Bottom