Tip When Removing Jacks

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I'm getting ready to haul some wood, so put the jacks back on the camper to unload it. I had a hard time getting the bolts to start through the holes in the two piece mounts, as they appeared to have worked and moved a tiny bit over time. The mount holes were slightly misaligned when new, but it seems there is just a bit more.

Next time, the bolts stay in the mounts.

It's a good idea to reinstall bolts into the mounts after removing jacks. I was instructed by FWC to do so when purchased camper in 2009.

I was also told about this when I purchased my Hawk just a couple weeks ago. I got the jacks knowing I would almost immediately remove them. When installing the Hawk the "technician" at the dealership told me if I didn't put the bolts back through when I took the jacks off I may never get them back in. He told me they've had to re-drill the holes (elongate them) when they've moved far enough that an owner couldn't get the bolts back through.

Either I wasn't listening, or that part of the install/familiarization was missed when I picked up our Grandby. I'm glad it is a part of the delivery process.

Thank you, I've been doing it wrong and having trouble getting the bolts through the double mounting plates.

snuffy said:
dont the new FWC come with a rico jack with a one piece mounting plate? mine is a 2013 and has that jack
Mine was made in Dec of 2013, and it has the two piece. I suspect it's what ever Rieco shipped to FWC at the time.

Have you tried to put the bolts through? Might they appear aligned, but be slightly off?

Edited to add. ski, don't you have an ATC.

I wouldn't have known what camper you had previously, or whether you actually tried to put the bolts through, so I asked. My bolts came off very easy when removing the jacks and when I put the jacks away and came back there were a couple that were more difficult to put back through. Maybe my truck doesn't sit level. The technician advised me it is because the campers are designed to flex and that's why the brackets move.

Ace! said:
...................................., or whether you actually tried to put the bolts through, so I asked. <snip>
the bolts have gone in and out many times on both campers. As I mentioned in my first post, this is the first I have heard of this. Wandering Sagebrush, thanks for bringing this up so if/when others see this issue their concern will be lessened.

Mr. 3Pin, you're welcome! That's the reason I posted, to let folks know about it, that it's not a big deal, and how to avoid it in the first place.

Pics please. There must be something different going on here. I can't see how mine could get this issue.

craig333 said:
Pics please. There must be something different going on here. I can't see how mine could get this issue.
Craig, someone else will have to provide the pics. It's really no big deal, as it's just a slight (very slight) misalignment of the holes in the Jack mounts. There are two parts to the mount, each with a hole. When one part of the mount moves in relationship to the other, the holes can become slightly misaligned.

The easiest solution is to retain the bolts in the mounts when you remove the jacks.

Thanks for posting this. I don't ever remember being told this when we picked up our camper last year. Have to file this away for future use. jd

Almost all of our bolt holes lost alignment when the jack legs were removed at the dealer at purchase. We plan to use centering punches to realign them when we get a new truck, hopefully not anytime soon. I worked as a grease monkey when I was in high school with heavy equipment and bolt holes did not generally lineup. Just an opportunity to be an amateur mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom