tire deflator recommendations

Foy

Resident Geologist
This topic has been discussed here in the past, but there may be new tools and more recent experiences with some older devices which this question brings to the surface.

What type/brand/model of tire deflators are well-regarded by WTW users. Yes, I have a good-quality round dial gauge and a Schrader valve tool, but it seems appealing to pre-set my desired lower pressure and let it fly until it gets there.

In the other direction, do deflators or other devices cut off automatically once preset highway pressures are achieved when airing back up? The inline pressure gauge on my Smittybilt portable compressor is rather inaccurate.

Foy

I have an ARB pump and gauge that works well. Gauge is accurate when checked. Might be others that do have presets out there, but the ARB quality seems pretty good.

Hello Foy
Also have the same deflator as Cayuse. Don't seem to be same as others I had years back. But the allow me to deflate more than one tire at a time then I fine tune to press I want. To be fair have not spent a lot of time to fine tune.
Use the Viair to inflate take about 20 min to take all four from 40psi to 75 psi. Not a bid deal, got a few minutes to look things over.
Hope this helps.
Russ

I also have the generic brass deflators - they work well once you have the pressures dialed in. I have to admit that I don't fully trust them and check each tire after they have deflated.

On the inflation side, I have a hard mounted ARB single compressor that I use both for airbags and reinflating tires. Previously I have used a hard mounted MV-50, which honestly works just as well as the ARB for about 1/3 the price.

I've got several sets of deflators for different vehicles and conditions. Two sets of Stauns, one for the truck in the dunes and another for the Jeep on the trail. I also have an ARB that can go to any pressure and gets used on either vehicle when I want a pressure other than the Staun set points. I still sometimes use my original home made one consisting of an air chuck, length of hose, pipe tee and gauge.

The Stauns are the most convenient since you just screw them on, wait a few minutes and then remove them. You can even install them and drive a few miles at low speed then remove them in camp.

The ARB is the fastest since it removes the valve core but you can only do one tire at a time. It also allows you to stop at any pressure.

I have the ARB unit. I feel comfortable using it, and it really doesn't take more than 5 minutes or so to air down all 4 tires.

Yes, the ARB unit actually pulls the valve stem and air release is as fast or slow as you desire and is very accurate.

Another ++ for the ARB , don't be fooled by the imported knock offs , while the ARB is also a globally sourced import, they must have at least one quality control "engineer" there is a noticeable difference in fit /finish. Kid down the street is stlll looking for the clip that held his together.:) I'll never forget "See it's works just as we..........."

I've used a few different ones and my homemade, 4 hose "all at once". I've settled on the simple old $2.50 core tool. It is just really fast with that big opening. Use it for both the truck and the 33x12.5 tires on the jeep. The other part I like is that I am always using the same pressure gauge all the time.

Back
Top Bottom