Tires for Tacoma

shear

I know this topic has been covered to exhaustion, but I'm having trouble sifting through all the information.
I originally wanted to get the BF Goodrich T/A KO2's for my truck, but upon talking a lot of places, they aren't available for my truck til October. I need tires in the next 2 weeks!

Any suggestions for a 2010 Tacoma with an Eagle that will be going off road most of the summer (not terribly rough, but rough enough that I want on/off road tires).

Are E-rated way better than D?

Thanks!

E rated Michelin. 10 or 12ply. Michelin are a bit more expensive but it will be made up for with how long they last. Just completed a two year trip driving from the USA to Argentina with an Eagle camper never had one flat tire. Drove the most grizzly roads if you can call them roads.

I'm on my second set of Yokohama Geolander ATS (10 ply rated, load range E) and love them, We've done thousands of off pavement miles with them and never had a problem. Got them at Discount Tire. When looking at tire sizes remember that you can change tire widths and aspect ratio and get the same or very similar tire diameter. On my Frontier I was able to go with a higher aspect tire and get a little more ground clearance without having any interference problems. Here's an online calculator:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

The Next Adventures said:
E rated Michelin. 10 or 12ply. Michelin are a bit more expensive but it will be made up for with how long they last. Just completed a two year trip driving from the USA to Argentina with an Eagle camper never had one flat tire. Drove the most grizzly roads if you can call them roads.

Sadly I can't seem to find the E-rated Michelins that fit my Tacoma. Only the P-rated. Seems to be a hard size to get in E-rated tires. 265/70R16

BillM said:
I'm on my second set of Yokohama Geolander ATS (10 ply rated, load range E) and love them, We've done thousands of off pavement miles with them and never had a problem. Got them at Discount Tire. When looking at tire sizes remember that you can change tire widths and aspect ratio and get the same or very similar tire diameter. On my Frontier I was able to go with a higher aspect tire and get a little more ground clearance without having any interference problems. Here's an online calculator:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

This is what I've having trouble with...not terribly knowledgable about the aspect ratios and width and what would work for my truck.

thanks for the calculator link!

Shear,

I think that's (265/70R16) what my truck came with and I couldn't find them in Load Range E either. I switched to 235/85R16 They are slightly narrower and taller but fit fine on my truck. I actually like a narrower tire for winter driving, they cut through snow to the pavement rather than float on top like a sled.

I am running LT 265/75R/16 E rated Firestone Transforce AT tires on both of my Tacomas. Got 60,000 miles on my last set. Those tire have taken us to Inuvik, Prudhoe Bay (Dead Horse), Labrador, and many points in between with never a flat or any other problem. No one ever talks about them, but we've been very pleased.

shear said:
Sadly I can't seem to find the E-rated Michelins that fit my Tacoma. Only the P-rated. Seems to be a hard size to get in E-rated tires. 265/70R16
As many have replied go with a slightly larger tire you should be able to accommodate them on your Tacoma. My Tundra stock is 265/70r16 but I run 265/75r16. You will have way better performance with them. Here is a link to another good read to understand.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=1gtBVdWCIoWkNvWIgPAE&url=http://www.overlandexperts.com/docs/articles/offroad_tire_taller_or_wider.pdf&ved=0CCUQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNGhi6uXQei1Ly_1SR6l70KKJBjHLw&sig2=L2TxPTQGluyT8dy71KxaUA

I went through this a few months ago. I'm by no means an expert, but I spent at least a few hours at it and I think made an educated guess (so I know enough to be dangerous and nothing more - you've been warned).

I went with Cooper Discoverer AT/3s E rated. Stayed with the stock size to keep it simple. Skimming through the article above I might rethink someday... but I'm perfectly happy for now.

shear said:
LT245/75 16 is the same circumference as the 265/70 16 and is a popular size for E rated.

I installed Michelin LTX A/T2 in the 245/75 16E on my Tacoma because I prefer a taller side wall and the slightly narrower width for off pavement and didn't want a larger circumference tire. No change in gearing, speedo readings or loss of power with them either unlike going to a taller tire.

Besides the Michelin LTX AT2, the 245/75 16 in a E rating is also available in the Cooper Discoverer A/T3, BFG All Terrain T/A KO & KO2, Goodyear All Terrain Adventure and probably others that I can't remember right now.

After doing some research and reading this thread and following all the links (thanks!) I'm going to go with the Cooper AT/3's for my truck. Seem to be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of on/off road performance.

Now to find them!

Thanks a lot guys!

The referenced review tested the BFG KO. The KO2 has been significantly changed, and I expect will address the very few complaints I've had about the original BFG All-Terrain. We just installed a set of 235/85-16 KO2s on our Tacoma.

Back
Top Bottom