Tires for Tacoma

General Grabbers A/T2
They are fantastic and have great reviews and longevity. I have a 2wd Tacoma and I'm getting places that were previously impossible with my Michelin AS tires.

Check out the cooper ST MAXX. They are an aggressive all terrain. Very smooth and quiet with good highway manners, extremely tough carcass, and way better in mud/clay than BFG AT tires. Stock 4x4 tacoma will fit up to 265/75r16 or 235/85r16 no problem. The latter is really a great performer all around. I've seen them aired down very low in sharp rocks and mud on a friends tacoma and it nearly put my jeep on 35" mud terrains to shame in a few spots. The sidewalls are much more rigid than BFG sidewalls in my experience. Also worth noting that the tread depths is 18.5/32nds on all sizes, while the BFG AT is 15/32nds max.

I just had 5 installed, 255/85r16. Right around 1300 for all installed and warrantied from discount tire.

If you care to see how they work off road, the silver tacoma with RTT is running them in 235/85/16. Wow the forum won't even let me post a YouTube link?!

http://youtu.be/Gw4pxDt3vbE

Maybe now it will allow me to post? Again the silver tacoma with RTT has 235/85r16 Cooper ST Maxx tires on it. They hook up very well off road for something that is so highway friendly.

I bought BFG K02s for my Tacoma, only because I've used KOs before and liked them, but I haven't taken these ( or the Fleet) offroad yet. My Fleet is probably around 1600+ pounds wet including two adults. Supersprings did not cut it, so I had two leaf springs added. Much better.

Question, if anyone knows: When the KO2s were installed, before the FWC Fleet was mounted, the installer put 38 lbs in each tire, it seems. I'm thinking the contact patch seems a little large for around town and on the freeway. I know the max for KOs is something 80 or 90, and the front and the back tires might take different pressures. And suggestions for a pressure to try? Or experience with similar tires, weight, vehicle, camper?

huckfinn said:
Question, if anyone knows: When the KO2s were installed, before the FWC Fleet was mounted, the installer put 38 lbs in each tire, it seems. I'm thinking the contact patch seems a little large for around town and on the freeway. I know the max for KOs is something 80 or 90, and the front and the back tires might take different pressures. And suggestions for a pressure to try? Or experience with similar tires, weight, vehicle, camper?
Toyota recently had a TSB about Tacomas running LT tires. I took the truck in to the dealer and they put a new sticker on the door showing recommended tire inflation pressure to be 46 psi front and rear for the stock tire size- LT265-70R16. I had been running the previously recommended pressure which was I think 32 psi. The ride is a bit more truck-like now but I like it. I suspect I have had higher than needed tire wear from the lower pressures I had been running.

I had the Transforce Firestones on our 2500 GMC. We got good mileage out of the thread and they were quiet, a good option.

However, when it was time to replace them, recently, we went to a fairly mild Michelin, just because they have worked very well in the past.

Good luck.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom