To Cover or Not to Cover?

TCG

Hello Folks
I was wondering what the opinion is on covering the Grandby for the winter? It seems to me to be a wise idea. Is there any concerns about storing it under some type of tarp like cover? I checked the threads and was not able to find an answer to my question or may be I'm not asking the correct questions.

This is the used Grandby I brought home from New Hampshire. It has far exceeded my expectations. 2002 GMC 2500 shortbed.

IMG_0682_1_2.JPG

i seem to remember reading a thread on this somewhere...maybe someone will chime in...i can't tell you much...mines is on all the time BUT if i did take it of i would cover it, somehow, for sure. good luck, let us know what you come up with...

covering camper in winter

You won't hurt anything by covering the camper but you still need pop up the camper every month and let it air out. Check for condensation build up.

We stored campers outside full time at the first location we had at FWC and never had any problems with doing that. They were not covered.

Storing campers over long periods is when problems start to occur because most folks have the out of site out of mind thing going. I do it also. The camper requires care even when stored. Pop it up once a month, let it air out. Wash the soft side every 6 months and treat it with 303 vinyl protectant. DO NOT USE AMORAL
You should be able to get the 303 at just about any car parts type store.

TCG,
I bought a cover for a pop up trailer camper for $40. Now that I'm back to normal I'm going to install it and check the fit and do some sewing mods to make it custom. When I get that done I'll snap a couple of pix with the results. I wont be back at home for several days so it might take a week or so before I get the job done.

I found my 303 vinyl protectent at Camping World....could not find it anywhere else in my area.
Brian

I got the 303 at West Marine.

i had to order mine online...can't remember the outfit but searched 303 products and found a bunch of online distributors...they had the protectant in town at ace but not the cleaner...ben, you should see royalties from selling so much of this stuff :D .

I will become a dealer for it soon. Then sell to all you folks.:) Just haven't called them yet to get set up.

Storing your camper can be a very big problem. Know your local weather statistics. By color, the attached map shows Alabama with more rain than Arizona. It is a generally true statement that stored campers have more mildew in Alabama than in Arizona. But it is not that simple.

In Alabama, if my camper is stored outside during winter, which is our wet season, I cover it with clear poly sheeting/visqueen tied down. In a few months, the visqueen develops leaks. It becomes brittle and deteriorates. I try to go inside my camper as often as I can think about it to check things. I replace the visqueen when it goes bad. When I see mildew, I use a mixture of Clorox, detergent, and water to kill it. I have a large computer muffin fan running inside the camper all the time. This is not a perfect solution, but it sort of works. It would be much better if I stored my camper indoors … or used it regularly.

I have used canvas to cover my campers. Canvas does not work in Alabama, too much moisture. Tree sap is a problem in Alabama, particularly with canvas. The only exception in the use of canvas is to construct a tent to store your camper in. Tents don’t work well in a place with tornados and thunderstorms. I built a shed with a galvanized steel roof. The wind blew the rain under the sides. A tornado finally got it.

Alabama is used as an example herein because it is different from where most of you live. We have different storage problems from where you live, just as each of you have special problems with storage in your own area. Do the best you can, and good luck.

Attachments

• Rain map.jpg
    Rain map.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 407
Hmmmm Back to normal?

Well I finally got the cover out of the box and on the FWC. I used 4 bungies to snug it up a bit and although its not a custom fit I'm satisfied with it. The nice thing about it is that I can have the top up with the cover on. I'm sure it will take a beating in the UV out here but at $50 a pop I can afford to change it when it gets raggedy.

Attachments

• FWC Cover 001.jpg
    FWC Cover 001.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 360
  • FWC Cover 002.jpg
    FWC Cover 002.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 350
  • FWC Cover 003.jpg
    FWC Cover 003.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 359
Here in southwest Michigan, if I covered my camper (actually anything outdoors), I would have a zillion chipmunks/ ground squirrel living in the folds of that tarp! :eek:

And I sure do hate the smell of mouse pee! :mad:

Mike

Hello John D

My father-in-law used to have a sail boat docked in the Berkeley Marina (San Francisco Bay) and all of the sail boat owners would hang a 40 watt (+ or -) light bulb turned on inside their sail boats all the time when they were not using the boat. He had his hanging in the walk way area from a thick piece of string.

The heat from the bulb created enough heat and convection inside it really kept the moisture and mildew to a minimum.

I don't know if it would work in a camper, but I don't see why not.

Maybe worth a try for those long, cold, wet Winters.

======================================================

Storing your camper can be a very big problem. Know your local weather statistics. By color, the attached map shows Alabama with more rain than Arizona. It is a generally true statement that stored campers have more mildew in Alabama than in Arizona. But it is not that simple.

In Alabama, if my camper is stored outside during winter, which is our wet season, I cover it with clear poly sheeting/visqueen tied down. In a few months, the visqueen develops leaks. It becomes brittle and deteriorates. I try to go inside my camper as often as I can think about it to check things. I replace the visqueen when it goes bad. When I see mildew, I use a mixture of Clorox, detergent, and water to kill it. I have a large computer muffin fan running inside the camper all the time. This is not a perfect solution, but it sort of works. It would be much better if I stored my camper indoors … or used it regularly.

I have used canvas to cover my campers. Canvas does not work in Alabama, too much moisture. Tree sap is a problem in Alabama, particularly with canvas. The only exception in the use of canvas is to construct a tent to store your camper in. Tents don’t work well in a place with tornados and thunderstorms. I built a shed with a galvanized steel roof. The wind blew the rain under the sides. A tornado finally got it.

Alabama is used as an example herein because it is different from where most of you live. We have different storage problems from where you live, just as each of you have special problems with storage in your own area. Do the best you can, and good luck.

Thanks for the pics

Chnlisle, thanks for posting the pictures. The camper cover seems to be a good idea for protecting the camper. I'll check some of the local RV dealers for a cover. I also checked for 303 distributors on the web and found a dealer in a city about 30 mi. south of me.

Jay,

If i had that cover on my camper today it would have lifted off...111 mph gust at Laguna peak above Mugu today, some shots to at least 60 here at the beach.UGLY!!but at least were not on fire..pobrecitos.

Nice looking cover though

Back
Top Bottom