$ to outfit a Fleet shell

Bill C

I am trying to deceide on whether to purchase a shell or one that is ready for use. Can anyone comment on what it cost to build out and if glad they chose that route.

Thanks, Bill C

I wonder about the time too. I am almost a 100% DIY, but the time to build out a shell sounds like a lot.

I am building out my 2013 Hawk shell. I am retired and have the time and skill. I am Journeyman level at welding, electrical and plumbing. Handyman level at woodworking, that is why I ordered the counter tops from FWC. It is a lot of work but I enjoy a good project.

Below is my cost sheet. I did have some materials on had that I am using. And still have more to buy before I am done.

Water Tank
Sink and trap
water pump
Water Inlet
Hose
Counter Tops
Water fill hose
Top refer vent
10 ea slam latches
110v elect plug for side
Second battery

Parts order FWC $1,073.19

Compressor Refregrator $608.00
Faucet $20.00
110v elec breakers & wire $50.00
Plywood $57.00

Misc parts $660.00

Sub total spent. $1,733.19

**Note if you count the medical bills for my finger I could have purchased a new camper.

billharr said:
**Note if you count the medical bills for my finger I could have purchased a new camper.
Yep....the "misc" expenses are the wild card.
I am very aware of my limitations and thus I'm glad I went with the ready to go version.
My hand is almost healed, how you doing Bill?

rotti said:
Yep....the "misc" expenses are the wild card.
I am very aware of my limitations and thus I'm glad I went with the ready to go version.
My hand is almost healed, how you doing Bill?
Got the pin out today, Dr said to start using it, need to get strength and movement back. I see him in a month if still stiff them PT but he does not think I will need it. Will try to get going on the camper soon.

Bill

Bill
The difference between the shell and Basic camper is $ 5,200. The question: Can you build the shell the way you want it for less than that amount? or can you greatly improve the basic camper for $5,200.

Even my very basic build cost $ 1,083

2 ea cabinets from FWC $500
2 ea couch cushions from FWC $ 290
Counter $15.00
Sink, trap, drain hose, outside drain plug $88
Gaucho couch parts $20
Misc : hoses, containers , hinges, $150

Factory options plus portable compressor refrigerator, replacing foam mattress, etc (as I reported in my Post) pushed the investment to $12,180.

If you need the full camper features and you don't have the building skills - buy the full camper.

Yes I'm glad it was built this way as my Eagle does everything it needs to do.

Lastly, your not buying a typical camper that loses 50-60% of its value over short time. FWCampers are in demand all the time as evidenced by the lead times to purchase a new one (6 weeks plus winter - 2-3 months in summer). If you purchase a new full camper and take care of it you should recover a good percentage of your investment after 5-10 years of ownership.

Jim

Here's my perspective. I got a pretty good deal on a used Eagle but it needed work. Things add up quickly. I probably would have been better to get a new FWC and not mess with upgrading things (new vinyl, new front and back boards, new countertops, new aux battery, new LED lights, new cushions, new upholstery, etc., etc.) but I have to admit, I know everything about this camper now and it's basically brand new. I'd say I'm into it for about $6.5k and it was a 2001 or 2003 (can't remember).

We are happy with our shell. Keeping it simple is less expensive and less maintenance intensive. It does require a different style of camping but that is something we like and actually prefer. Things like cooking/living outside when we are camping and using the camper to carry our gear and provide a secure place to sleep and hang out in when the weather is bad.

Sorry Ski,

My old eyes thought word was - VALVE.

Re-reading I now see word is. VALUE.....

There is much value in buying the shell and building it out to one's personal requirements.

Jim

I just bought a gutted Alaskan 8' cabover, just this week I spent $3500 on just stuff, no hardware ,labor , or plumbing, or wood.
From memory I purchased: Torklift steps, fastguns, Arb 50qt fridge, SMEV double burner, double SS sink, thetford cassette,suburban 6 gal hot water heater, Atwood 16k btu furnace, 21 gal water tank, shurflo pump.
I guess it really depends on the camper you added it too, when I get done I figure I will have maybe $6500 into it, plus lots of labor. But I will have a real solid camper that is built a whole lot better than the new stuff, for a lot less money.
I also look at the fact that the fridge, Titan jacks( camper came with brand new jacks)fast guns and steps can go with me to my new Alaskan in the future. That's a couple grand thats portable.

Forgot to mention that my skill level is pretty high and I have a full metal and wood shop, not bragging, just point out that if I had to do it with a cordless drill and jig saw, I would not be so excited( although a real nice job could be done by hand, just time intensive)
The real pro is getting the layout you want, to fit your height, your favorite pots and beer mug. My family and I are slender, so I can build things a bit smaller than norm and have more floor( don't really care about resale)

The difference in price for me between the Fleet Shell and Base model was $6104 including tax. This "allowed" me to purchase $3075 of FWC goodies - Fiamma awning, extended Yakima tracks, screen door, extra roof vent, rear wall steps, front opening window, Artic pack, and jacks. All Items I would have ordered even if I purchased the Base model except for the screen which is included*.
The build items that I'm adding when I get my shell back from FWC cost $3130 although $1443 of the parts came from my Flippac build.
As for the cost of labor I don't really figure this in as I would be doing something else like "Honey do" work plus I can't afford my rate.

Cheers

*If you bought a 2014 Shell model after the price increase in November but before January you paid for the Screen Door. 2014 Fleet Models after some date in early January came with the Screen Door and Interior LED Lights standard. :oops:

I am hoping to order a shell in the next few weeks. I am requesting the following extras: 2 AGM batteries with controller and Solar Plug, propane in cabinet, forced air furnace in cabinet, and Torklift tie-downs.

I am considering upgrading the roof lift and pre-wiring for AC and asking for a built in counter.

I have no building skills :(, but I have tent camping gear ( stoves, tables, water carriers, porta-potti, heaters, chairs, lights)

Just a quick note to those thinking about building out a shell. FWC makes the frame different between the shell and normal camper with counter, water etc. I have had to build framing around the fresh water fill
bracket.jpg

big+hole.jpg

finished+water.jpg

and where I am moving the heater to.
med_gallery_1903_712_165013.jpg

I used the framing where the heater was in the back cabinet to hold the 110v plug.
med_gallery_1903_712_909473.jpg

If you want a shell and not much else they are a great buy. If you want water and more creature comforts you may be money ahead to purchase what you want to begin with.

Note: if you find a used shell at the right price it is worth the build. I got a 6 month old shell for $10,000 and will have just about $12,000 in my Hawk when done. After the sale of my 2002 Hawk I will have $4,500 in my new to me 2013 Hawk. You jus have to love how the FWC's have held their value

Raymond,
I'm assuming if your asking for the counter, your also buying the cabinet that holds up the right side of the counter near the cab. While your at it also consider having them install a sink as they come in handy to wash up when inside.
Jim

I dunno. No offense to anyone, but a fully equipped FWC isn't worth $20K to me, and a proper build-out doesn't appeal to me either. My advice is to be patient and look for a good used unit. It may take some time, but good deals do come on the market. You may have to buy one sight unseen. The good ones are gone in hours. I looked for a year and found my 1995 Ranger II (Eagle) on Denver CL for "$1,000.00 firm". I was the first caller and after a brief conversation about the camper 's condition, promised to send the seller $1,200.00 next day air if he would give me a couple of weeks to arrange shipping to SoCal. I then posted a photo and zip codes on Uship and contracted to have it delivered for $600.00. The camper was it much better condition than expected, almost like new. Equipped with 3-way fridge, furnace, front slider, roof rack and battery. I probably have another $800-$1,000 in it now counting hold downs, BBQ, hot shower, electric water pump, etc. It can be done.

CWD

With a Fleet you can also simply take the dimensions of the area wherein you want cabinets and go to a cabinet maker. With the software they're now using they take the area dimensions and design something in about 10 minutes. They will design/produce something for a lot less than FWC is charging for their stuff. Plus, you get the drawers, shelves, etc. exatly where and how you want them. Simply install after produced. I'm awaiting my Fleet but have already contacted a cabinet maker. Super easy if you want a custom look and don't want to build your own.

Back
Top Bottom