Toilet System for Shell

makalutoo

Advanced Member
I am planning on an extended trip this winter with my Tacoma/Fleet shell combo, girlfriend and dog. I am kinda stumped at what I should do for a toilet system for the camper. I have researched the issue fairly heavily and feel like i have a good grasp at the different options out there, but I am always interested to hear more.

My original Idea for the camper, before i planned an extended trip, was to make a seat that folds out from the wall with a cutout in it so that I could use WAG bags. I was going to put it near the back door so it would be out of the way and hardly take up any room. I figured that we would hardly ever use it except in emergencies, so while it wouldn't be the most ideal sitting setup, it would hardly ever get used and would probably do the trick.

Now that we are planning on spending an extended time on the road, I am thinking maybe we need a more ideal solution. Since we picked a pandemic to travel through, we are trying to reduce unnecessary exposures. While not going overboard on things, if we could remove visits to gas station bathrooms a couple times a day that would probably go a long ways with limiting exposures to people.

I see a lot of people like the Thetford, units. I am not very excited about them honestly, worried about smell, but haven't ruled them out completely. I could also use a groover like many use for river trips.

In my research I found a unit called a Wrapppon Green, which was developed for disaster relief in japan. It basically wraps your lunch in a plastic bag with a gel compound and heat seals it, for disposal. Similar to bags or a diaper, it can be thrown away in the trash.

It seems like a pretty slick unit, minus the downside of using a lot of plastic. It would be pretty easy to build the unit into the camper, since the actual that does the sealing is pretty compact. It is pretty expensive, (about 900) and I'm a little worried about sourcing bags for it in the future.

What are all of your thoughts? Anybody have any experience with this unit or think that I am going overboard to try to stay away from people while traveling?

Wrappon Toilet System | S. E. Technologies Limited USA

Youtube link about Wrappon Green

Attachments

• wrapon.png
    wrapon.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 92
".................so that I could use WAG bags."

KISS, use WAG Bags

and stay smart and safe, limit exposures. Good luck out there.

We're approaching 10 years with our Thetford, no issues with odors or anything else. Experimentation with Aqua-kem and its many competitors (some not so good) would dictate the best digestor/deodorizer for your purposes. To limit the potential for a travel mishap, we use a quick-connect strap to corral the rear of the unit against the camper wall. It's really a fine system, imho, and quite cost-effective. Good luck with your decision, makalutoo.
Rico.

we use a 3 gal bucket, wag bags (or just regular glad kitchen bags and add our own Poo Powder) with a gamma seal lid to keep the smells contained.

+1 to what Vic said. Bucket, bag, kitty litter or Poo Powder or both. Change bag as needed and seal contents in a 2 gallon Ziplock bag for disposal. No fuss, no muss & no odors.

First option : commune with nature. Otherwise: Luggable Loo seat, 2 gal bucket, trash bags and kitty litter.

I have used Thetford for 15 years in boats, roof tent and now my FWC camper. Never had any issues, leakage or problems with odor. I store it in a bag for some extra protection when not in use. It’s easy to use, requires no maintenance, has a decent capacity. By the biggest one you can find room for and you are good to go. The Wrappon Green is to many moving parts for my taste, I prefer simplicity. I don’t like plastic bags with human waist, better to have it in a solid container.

Dessmo said:
I have used Thetford for 15 years in boats, roof tent and now my FWC camper. Never had any issues, leakage or problems with odor. I store it in a bag for some extra protection when not in use. It’s easy to use, requires no maintenance, has a decent capacity. By the biggest one you can find room for and you are good to go. The Wrappon Green is to many moving parts for my taste, I prefer simplicity. I don’t like plastic bags with human waist, better to have it in a solid container.
I absolutely agree with Dessmo, I have been out and about a bit with my wife and our FWC. The porta potty is a necessary option for my wife. We have tried most all of the "solutions" and this just works! We are also discovering that great spots like HipCamp require self contained.

CleanWaste folding loo with their wag bags. Simple, stows away. For me, I don’t want to handle things twice like you have to with the liquid units, I already have to do that with our RV. Try to “dump” the bags often and properly, especially in high temps. Tip: add a scoop of clumping/low odor kitty litter each use. I think they’ve skimped a bit lately.

Thanks for everybody's opinions and experience. I will probably start simple and see how things progress while we are on the road. I think I am going to start out with the bags, see how much we actually use them. I like the idea of adding a little extra kitty litter, seems like it would be insurance for the chemical absorbent. Always easier to upgrade down the road.

Ive got three that I have tried over the years. Luggable Loo, A fancy folding seat that separates the urine from the solid (bagged) and now have my marine toilet...

But saw this .... Great in a "PINCH"

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 121
We have used the Thetford for 15 years. We use a wag bag set in the bowl to poop when a cat hole latrine or public toilets are not available (or usable).. We only pee directly in the Thetford, no paper, so emptying it and rinsing it is easy and simple. You can buy the powder in bulk and the plain bags as well and just add the powder as needed. We seal the wag bag in gallon ziplocks. Cheap, simple and minimal effort.

It works so well that three years ago we rented a basic camper van for three weeks in Iceland and camped in the campgrounds. We shipped the Thetford as part of our air baggage. It was a real luxury.

Jack said:
We have used the Thetford for 15 years. We use a wag bag set in the bowl to poop when a cat hole latrine or public toilets are not available (or usable).. We only pee directly in the Thetford, no paper, so emptying it and rinsing it is easy and simple. You can buy the powder in bulk and the plain bags as well and just add the powder as needed. We seal the wag bag in gallon ziplocks. Cheap, simple and minimal effort.

It works so well that three years ago we rented a basic camper van for three weeks in Iceland and camped in the campgrounds. We shipped the Thetford as part of our air baggage. It was a real luxury.
This is why we do also.

home depot bucket.. pool noodle for the rim.. toilet bags and kitty litter.. makes pooping outside feel like heaven...

I built a small folding seat to use with wag bags. It is nice that it stays out of the way when not needed. I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet though.

Attachments

• 43874045-4BE1-4B46-A80A-301792272F15.jpeg
    43874045-4BE1-4B46-A80A-301792272F15.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 165
  • 7260BBA7-A5A9-4A9C-936A-16184837831B.jpeg
    7260BBA7-A5A9-4A9C-936A-16184837831B.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 152
We have a thetford, a luggable loo and reliance hassock. They are either too short or the seat is too small or both. I ended up making one out of a 5 gallon bucket with gamma seal and a real toilet seat. I attached a plywood piece under the seat to keep it in place on the bucket.

20201011_121520-L.jpg

20201011_121558-L.jpg

20201011_121638-L.jpg

I'm tempted to try one of the eco-safe rocket box toilets used on river trips. but haven't had a chance to check out the toilet seat in person.

river-groover-L.jpg

NRS_eco_safe_toilet_system_500x.jpg

I’m using a gamma seal too. I’m curious about how you made the toilet seat fit, and wonder, does it stay on when you close or open the gamma seal?

My wife found a semi-oval collapsing seat on amazon that uses the WAG bags. Took up way less room than the PETT toilet did. We're sold on the WAG bags, I'm working out how to remove the black water tank in the new to us camper as we use the wag bags in it.

Vic Harder said:
I’m using a gamma seal too. I’m curious about how you made the toilet seat fit, and wonder, does it stay on when you close or open the gamma seal?
Vic, it does not stay in place. I cut a ring out of scrap plywood to keep it in place. The seat stores under the bench in the camper.

20201012_080229-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom