Took out rear seats from my Tacoma

hoyden

Lady Bug
Originally, I was just planning to keep the seats folded down and make or get some kind of drawer or organizer.

IMAG8355.jpg

But after having that for a while, I realized that it was unsatisfactory. I looked up how to take out the seats. It's very easy!

I pulled out the larger seat yesterday and left the smaller one in for potential future people hauling and for the dog.

IMAG8635.jpg

I went straight to the car wash that has (free) industrial vacuums and got as much dog hair up as I could. Maybe I should just shave the critters....

After taking Argos pup for a ride in his new, smaller, seating area, I realized I had to take that seat out too and build a platform. That seat is right behind the driver seat. I couldn't see him or pet him, and I think Argos didn't like it either because he tried to get into the front seat, which he never does.

IMAG8638.jpg

So, this morning, I took out the remaining rear seat. Of course I didn't take any photos until I'd put a bunch of stuff back in. It's a mess. I need to build a platform and figure out some way to organize the stuff. I've got an inflatable kayak, tool boxes, shovel, some wood, a chair and roll-up table....

I think I'm going to get a gun rack for the rear window to hold my kayak paddles and maybe the shovel.

IMAG8639.jpg

and of course, the dog area. Doesn't look too comfy right now though.

I love how much more room there is, but definitely need a platform and some better storage containers.

We have the Access cab Tacoma and took out the seats to make a platform for our dog. Not as much room as the double cab but still works well. There is some storage space under the platform. We also have a version where we put a water tank in the footwell. You can see some more photos in the blog- scroll down in the post a bit to see the platform. http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2012/06/our-new-camper.html

IMG_2036.jpg

Cool! I like the footwell water tank. In AZ we like having lots of extra water. Might have to budget that in....

I might have to have a friend build the platform - I haven't any wood-working tools! But it doesn't look too terribly difficult.

takesiteasy said:
We have the Access cab Tacoma and took out the seats to make a platform for our dog. Not as much room as the double cab but still works well. There is some storage space under the platform. We also have a version where we put a water tank in the footwell. You can see some more photos in the blog- scroll down in the post a bit to see the platform. http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2012/06/our-new-camper.html

Our 02 Tundra is the second "supper cab style"to remove the back seats and build a nice platform for our storage bins,and in the middle a nice space to carry the Truckfridge cooler in necessary.
Also did that to the first truck to carry the Bobcat,a Ford Ranger.
Works great if you use the rig for just two.
Our camper is on full time.
Hoyden, you will like all the extra room.
Frank

Right on!

I will get in for specific measurements on Saturday. I'm thinking of doing a taller or bi-level platform(s) on the driver side, and then a lower platform (for doggie comfort) on the passenger side.

My camper is also on full-time. I get out as often as possible. Been about every couple of weeks so far. :)

For those who have removed the back seats from their double cab Tacoma's - any idea how much they weigh? Every gram counts!

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom