Tool Kit Ideas

Alpine

We are picking up our Grandby in early September and there are going to be tons of things to figure out over the next year or so. This Forum has been great to flatten out the learning curve but I have a few questions that I'll be posting over the next couple of weeks as the Search Function hasn't been very helpful for these topics.

I'm trying to build a basic Tool Kit that won't weigh too much for our first trip. We don't have much Off Road experience so we don't plan to do any aggressive stuff at first and I can't really fix many vehicle issues anymore due to the complexity, so I figure that I won't need things like complete socket and wrench sets. I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of the necessary tools to get you out of the common jams.

Thanks, Elliott

A good air compressor, tire repair kit, tire pressure gauge, duct tape, battery jumper device, needle nose pliers, wrench set, phillips and flat screwdriver, channel lock pliers, wire stripper, electrical tape, butt connectors, the tools will fit in a cloth roll up tool bag. Takes up very little room. Hide a key with a spare key for the truck and the camper, tow strap and a way to connect it to your truck.

Also make sure you can still access your spare tire with the camper on. I had to remove my tailgate, for that to happen. I originally thought I would leave the tailgate on as sort of a back deck.

Even if all you do is drive 20 miles down a forest road to some remote lake, you should be prepared for the common problems that could leave you stranded until someone wanders by. Think dead battery, flat tire, broken electric wire, loose nut or bolt from vibration, being stuck in sand or mud. You may wait a few hours or a day for someone to wander by, and there is no guarantee that they will have a tow strap or the tools you need.

The serious off road people carry a lot more stuff.

Have fun,
Travel Safe

larryqp has given you a pretty good list. I can suggest a few additions:

A Digital Multi-Meter.

A hammer.

Spare fuses, every size needed by either your truck or your camper.

A shovel, to dig yourself out of trouble.

A wood saw to deal with any tree that might fall across your path back out.

Silicone Rescue Tape - the best stuff for dealing with leaking coolant hoses.

The only spare part I would recommend you carry is an engine belt. Better yet, depending on your current mileage/belt condition, have a new one put on and carry the old one as your emergency get-back-to-civilization belt.

Look your new camper over carefully to see if there are any oddball screw heads, like those square Robertson drives, that you might need. You also probably want some Torx bits. You can't seem to even be able to change lightbulbs on vehicles these days without them.

Extra fluids - the right oil, tranny fluid, anti-freeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid - however much you feel you have room for or might need.

Good advice in the above messages.

For me the complexity of fixing major truck issues when away from my garage and when I don't carry the needed parts with me (who would carry some of these obscure parts) has produced the following.

If your insurance company offers a road side service function, check to see if they have an extended distance option. I have Auto Club of So Cal and the 100 mile towing option is a minimal expense for me considering the peace of mind factor and it worked a couple of times when I was 75 miles down some dirt roads in another State.

It was also nice to have the cell phone range extender device that you can find a few threads about on this WTW forum.

The last item I can add is to make sure your human consumables (food, liquids, and maybe TP) are always stocked up, just like the truck gas tank, before you head off pavement. Stop as often as you need to resupply.

larryqp said:
A good air compressor, tire repair kit, tire pressure gauge, duct tape, battery jumper device, needle nose pliers, wrench set, phillips and flat screwdriver, channel lock pliers, wire stripper, electrical tape, butt connectors, the tools will fit in a cloth roll up tool bag.
Hi Larry,

Where did you buy the good air compressor that will roll up in a cloth tool bag ? :D I used to own one for my motorbike.

A good list indeed....

David Graves

Bottle jack, Maxtrax or 2"x8" pieces of wood 3' long to put under tires or use as a jackstand, jumper cables and battery powered jump starter, hose clamps various sizes, small electric drill with drill bits and various screw tips, folding bucket, shovel, tube of shoe goo type of stuff (Walmart has it in RV section as RV Goop), tube silicone,

I carry a lot more than this even with a new rig, but I try to get back into less accessible places.

Any Off roading.... Portable Compressor (5CFM) Four wheel parts com (Why?) Airing down letting air out of your tires gives you more traction, And a smooth ride. A must for any off roader. ( Figure out your deflation based off your tires. ) Even A fire road will feel like silk by airing down.

A winch will pull you out of any mess 99 percent of the time. ( if you can't at least a come along. ) and assorted pull ropes and buckles )

Get a Ham Radio lic, Handhelds that can hit repeaters can be bought for pennies now....
Even if you don't get your LIC you are aloud to use for emergencies.

Make sure you have the correct size wrench for all the bolts your rig calls for. You will be surprised that you only need a few.

Practice your flat tire repair and jacking, You won't believe how many folks get out thinking its just a tire change. If you have never dropped your spare tire after years expect an all day job possible, A Tip for ford 150/250 owners first thing you do is drop the spare and make sure you've got it down. It will save you hours.

GOTO an OFF ROAD SAFETY COURSE if you plan to do this often it could save your life.

The Number one tools? UMBRELLA for SUN and WATER with yet to be listed by others a FIRST AID KIT.

In San Diego I inform drivers to always carry a case of water, if not for themselves but others on the road, one 110 degree day I've seen mothers with kids the car dies and they are in a non cell phone area, it gets worse and worse and they just went down the store for something mudaine.

Cheers take a safety course and your tool box will fall into place.

If your truck breaks down to the no repair side, The Ham Radios, cell if you can get it, Water Shade and first aid. ) A flare gun can help...
Some of us run deep woods or desert regions were 20 mins can be life or death. If your at a campground with others your better off. As asking the question is a bit of a concern.

All good advice and tips. But since you’re not a mechanic (neither am I!) you’ve realized that an extensive tool kit is dead weight. I carry one anyway because I mostly travel with others who are much more savvy than I am when it comes to that. But a couple of screw drivers, crescent wrench, pliers, zip ties, wire, rescue/gorilla tape, etc. my be all you need, you don’t need to go crazy. Here are my must haves:

Water, water, water. And some emergency food for a day or two,
AAA card,
Cash,
Battery jump pack (available at COSTCO),
I do carry extra fluids,
Extra serpentine belt(s), even if someone else has to help you,
A good jack and lug nut wrench (I carry a lightweight floor jack for stability),
Portable compressor and effective tire deflator,
If you’re out alone, an InReach or SPOT or some type of emergency communication device.

I would echo some previous advice: consider taking a course or two on offroad travel. You’ll make some connections that may turn into future trips.

I just noticed that no one - myself included - mentioned a flashlight. In addition to the Maglight in my truck and the Surefire in my pocket, I also have one of those LED headlamps that light up wherever you are looking while leaving BOTH hands free to hold things and use tools. Beats the hell out of trying to hold a flashlight in your teeth!

How about a tube of liquid weld! And in cold weather buy some of those hand warmers hunters use, they work great for many things and stay warm for several hours.

A lot of good suggestions posted. My own method for finding out what I need and what I don't is to work out of the tools that go on the trip. Add tools as you need and don't have them.

When they say that one of these will start a diesel I now believe it because I've done it. Once our tow'd is sorted out I'll be adding one to it's fit-out as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-AG-XP-10-Multi-Function-Starter/dp/B00MQ5Z5F2/

I've posted the link to these a lot, but they really can save your bacon. I leave it in the bag that it was shipped in, with the instructions just in case. All of our traveling tool kits have one and a 1 lb can of .032" safety wire. With it you can make a clamp of any size needed, CV boots, radiator hoses, missing fender bolts, etc., etc., etc.
https://clamptitetools.com/
And if you get those items I'll suggest getting a set of these s well: https://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-safety-wire-twisting-pliers-45341.html
Between the two tools and the can of wire there's a heck of a lot of "getcha home" options.

Alley-Kat said:
If your insurance company offers a road side service function, check to see if they have an extended distance option. I have Auto Club of So Cal and the 100 mile towing option is a minimal expense for me considering the peace of mind factor and it worked a couple of times when I was 75 miles down some dirt roads in another State.

I
I found out that SoCalAAA considers any cabover camper an RV and requires the RV rider for towing. You may luck out and get a friendly operator that overlooks this rule but don't count on it.

The air compressor and the Lithium Battery jumper do not fit in the cloth roll up bag, just the hand tools. And yes I carry a shovel, lots of water, silicone rescue tape, a mallet (for driving stakes). The silicon rescue tape is awesome stuff.
You have lots of good advice and you just need to sort thru it to determine what is essential for the types of trips you take. My tool kit, shovel, battery jumper and air compressor live permanently in the "basement" behind the seats in my ford ranger. I removed the Ford jump seats and made a wooded frame with a 2 piece plywood removal top, covered with carpeting. It's about 4 inches deep, holds lots of stuff and most people have no idea its there. It also makes a nice flat surface to hold duffles, etc when we do pack for a trip.
Travel Safe

When I spoke about Tom S ( TS ) This Gentleman does training for the Marines in San Diego, He also holds EXPERT classes on off roading and is Certified, I hope he mite be the one at the October Meet in Ocotillo wells but ..

My Wife and I have done 4 classes with him and his team and it was the best money ever spent. The website has a massive list of points all well laid out. and FREE

Please take a few peaks he does speak our language...

http://www.4x4training.com/

So in this one we HAD to get Stuck and we would take turns pulling each other off the hill.... It was fun!

Recovery04L.jpg

Great thread. I hadn't heard of silicone tape.
It's time for me to compile a comprehensive list for both of my rigs.
Liquid wrench and mechanics gloves, along with a tube of hand cleaner and a few rags are a good idea.

I have recently built a good socket/wrench set that fits in a flat Craftsman box, that tucks behind my seat.
If not mentioned above, a torque wrench should be considered. I plan to add one to my kit.
Multiple jacks of different flavors are a good idea. I have three. It helps to have pads to support the jacks. We have levelers of thick plywood (LVL, OS:cool: for both uses. After changing out a front axle in the bush, I can say having solid platforms to jack from was essential.

We learned the hard way when we didn't have a paper pad handy. Consider bringing an assortment of pencil/pen and paper. Magic marker and paper plates if nothing else. More than once I've had to make a sign or write a note to get out of being stuck in the boonies.

Coveralls or a jacket you don't mind getting greasy is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom