TorkLift or standard bed install?

photohc

I have a 2018 F250 on order to replace my 2013 F150. I'm really excited about this upgrade and looking forward to all the nice improvements. I've been checking out the possibility of installing my Hawk using the TorkLift system and would like to hear about the good and bad of this option. As I frequently remove my camper when not using, having to constantly install/remove/adjust the turnbuckles gets a little tiring. Comments?

I had TorkLift mounts with an early version of the Fastguns on my last pop up camper and they were so much easier to work with. I really wish I had kept them.

i use Fastguns inside the turnbuckle doors. They are marked for each corner, so re-installing the camper is a quick process. They don't shift or need adjustment after the first time you use them. I would not want anything on the outside of my rig to catch on stuff... love the internal eybolts.

Vic Harder said:
i use Fastguns inside the turnbuckle doors. They are marked for each corner, so re-installing the camper is a quick process. They don't shift or need adjustment after the first time you use them. I would not want anything on the outside of my rig to catch on stuff... love the internal eybolts.
Does this present a need to readjust when reinstalling the camper if the position is not exactly in the same spot?

photohc said:
Does this present a need to readjust when reinstalling the camper if the position is not exactly in the same spot?
I’ll throw in my 2¢ worth, too. There is always some minor adjusting, but with fastguns, it’s trivial. Still minor with chain and turnbuckle.

With the fastguns, they apply enough "Pull" that they kind of self-centre the camper. I get the camper semi-positioned and then clamp on one side first, it pulls the camper over a bit... next side is easy.

I have TorkLift on the rear and Happijac on the front with Fast Guns on both front and rear. I think Torklift is fine, but I also think Happijac works as well. This question comes up a lot and I think Torklift clearly wins the day in marketing prowess, but I have seen nothing to convince me one is better than the other.

Before I had my present setup I used turnbuckles and also had not problem with them.

ardvark said:
I have TorkLift on the rear and Happijac on the front with Fast Guns on both front and rear. I think Torklift is fine, but I also think Happijac works as well. This question comes up a lot and I think Torklift clearly wins the day in marketing prowess, but I have seen nothing to convince me one is better than the other.

Before I had my present setup I used turnbuckles and also had not problem with them.
I like the Happijac front install location. Doesn't interfere with any running boards/gas cap? At least it appears that way. I also like the shorter distance to the anchor point of the camper. The Torklift rear appears to be an easier install.

Vic Harder said:
With the fastguns, they apply enough "Pull" that they kind of self-centre the camper. I get the camper semi-positioned and then clamp on one side first, it pulls the camper over a bit... next side is easy.
Vic, what model of the fastguns are you using? Do they have a spring load like the ones for the outside?

no, no spring load. I got them used, so not sure of the model. They were a bit of work to setup the first time. I bought a double handful of 1/2 eyebolts in varying lengths, and between those and some caribiners I got the lengths all set. Once I was sure of the settings I used blue loctite on the threads and marked each 'gun for its location in the camper.

Remounting the camper is a simple matter (once the camper is back in place on the truck bed) of pushing it back and forth and getting close to centered, and then clicking in the fastguns. Done.

photohc said:
I like the Happijac front install location. Doesn't interfere with any running boards/gas cap? At least it appears that way. I also like the shorter distance to the anchor point of the camper. The Torklift rear appears to be an easier install.
Exactly right. The Torklift rear is a no brainer. I really like Happijac for the front tie down and one less thing under the truck to catch.

Another Torklift user with Fastguns here.
I did a lot of research fore I bought our Hallmark and am very happy with the decision.

Just a point of clarification...I believe there is a little give in the Fastguns like there is a small spring inside the unit as you can feel it when you engage the lever.
Imho it is the best system our there and unlessyou are into serious rock crawling the brackets that are bolted to your frame shouldn't be an issue.

I have used the Fast Guns since I have owned my FWC. Would not use anything else. They are some work when first installing, but after the adjustment, it's a breeze to attach camper to bed. Mine are like Vic's, no spring tension, locks down like a binder they use on freight loads on large semi trucks. Get em, you will like them.

I use Torklifts with Fastguns on my Colorado and Phoenix Pop-Up. I was fortunate as they had not yet installed Torklifts on my 2017 Duramax Diesel so the Torklifts and installation was free. If you contact them about your 2018 chances are you might be one of first and might get a freebie install as well - schedule it soon though even if you don't have the truck yet!

Edit: I am fortunate to live an hour away from their HQ - that is the only place where their engineers will do a free install as they test for fit on the new model trucks.

michgoblue said:
I use Torklifts with Fastguns on my Colorado and Phoenix Pop-Up. I was fortunate as they had not yet installed Torklifts on my 2017 Duramax Diesel so the Torklifts and installation was free. If you contact them about your 2018 chances are you might be one of first and might get a freebie install as well - schedule it soon though even if you don't have the truck yet!

Edit: I am fortunate to live an hour away from their HQ - that is the only place where their engineers will do a free install as they test for fit on the new model trucks.
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm too far from their WA headquarters to make it worth the trip. They did tell me that they are still waiting to see a 2018 to verify the fit.

Those of you using the Torklifts, where are you attaching to the camper. FWC suggested using eyebolts through the existing jack attachment points. Seems to me, with the pull down tension, there might exist a potential bending of the post?

photohc said:
Those of you using the Torklifts, where are you attaching to the camper. FWC suggested using eyebolts through the existing jack attachment points. Seems to me, with the pull down tension, there might exist a potential bending of the post?
I think you mis-heard them. You use them in place of the turnbuckles normally used, so through the 4 hatches.

full

full

full

full

Some of these pics appear to be upside down. The eyebolts are in the dark blue truck bed in the usual FWC spots, backed by heavy aluminum plates. The shiny rectangular rock-climbing style anchors are in the camper, also backed by big aluminum plates.

I have accidentally picked up the truck with the 4 corner posts one time when I forgot to undo the torklifts before jacking to remove the camper. :oops: The mounting system is plenty tough.

Length adjustment process:
full

full

Vic, sorry I was not clear in my request. I decided to use the Torklift external frame mounts. So I was referring to hooking up to the frame mounts using the corner post instead of the bed mounts. Thank you for going through the trouble of taking photos of your hookups. Your installation looks great.

I hope I didn't spent a lot more money on this system only to not like it later. With the bed mount on my previous F150, I removed the eyebolts and aluminum plate backing from the bed before trading the truck in. I discovered that the plates had actually left an slight impression in the bed. The pulling force actually had enough to make a visible impression. The issues with this external approach is how it will look with those Fastguns on the outside and whether they get caught in tree/brush branches.

So my original question, is it okay to use eyebolts on the jack plates at each corner of the camper?

Harv

Back
Top Bottom