Total Noobs, doing it all wrong

Howdy folks, been a while, leaving tomorrow for our first trip with our new Hawk after two months of ownership. We would have been out a lot earlier but sick cat has kept us grounded. Long story. We are actually taking him with us to the Mojave for two weeks because alternatives were worse at this point.

Anyway, I see that the forecast is for stronger than usual desert winds tomorrow between Ridgecrest and Mojave with a wind advisory saying that gusts to 55 are a possibility. So my question is: at what wind speed do you consider not popping up the top and sleeping down low? I'm guessing that winds at that speed will make sleep difficult in any configuration. Always hated windy nights in our tent...

I might see you out in Mojave. Gonna be out there next weekend doing the Mojave Road if everything goes well. Keep an eye out.

I've spent many nights popped up in high winds. Definitely better than a ground tent. Gentle rocking of the vehicle/camper combo. Can't wait to hear about the shakedown trip.

I've never had problems with the camper popped up in high winds. The truck will rock around a bit but it's nothing like being in a tent. It will help if you park facing into the wind. I parked one time with the back end into the wind and it was difficult to lower the top.

In high wind we also change how air enters and exits the camper. We have raised the roof with only the side window open in high wind. The roof goes up slower but that is better than too fast. Another way: my wife holds the door open a little and I tell her to open or close it a little depending on how the roof is going up or down with directions to close the door completely if she feels a strong wind gust hit the camper. Another way: wait for a wind gust to pass, open the door a little, and up goes half the roof, close the door, wait for the next wind gust to pass, repeat.

Thanks folks, that's definitely reassuring.
ETAV8R: I was referring to the generic Mojave (Desert) including DV. Probably won't make it down as far as the Preserve. Actually thinking we may end up in Carrizo Plain in ten days or so. It all depends on how the cat adapts to road tripping. Enjoy the M Road!

Good question about the winds....but what constitutes a "high wind"? Out here we routinely have 50-70 mph and an occasional period of 100 mph bursts over several hours...

I also assume if the wind is steady from one direction, and if you can, you would park facing into the wind...

Phil

Congrats on your Hawk purchase and welcome to the family.

Hope you attend the factory Rally at Sugarloaf end of April and we get to see your new camper.

"High Winds". We camp a lot in the Saline Valley at the hot springs, Highest winds so far has been a steady 35 mph with 50-55 mph gusts parked side-on to the wind with just gentle rocking. Roof is rated to 100 mph I believe.

The winds, while strong, proved to be very manageable in the Hawk. Very satisfied with how it handled it.

However the P tires that came with our used F-150 only lasted a few days before we lost one on the dirt road out to Aguereberry Point. Being noobs, we were ignorant enough to not have increased the PSI to handle the additional weight of the camper... should have at least bumped the PSI up to 40-42. As a result the sidewalls completely shredded. At least we know how to change the rear tires now. Blow out necessitated a 60-mile trip to Big O in Pahrump where the salesman seemed to know what we wanted before we asked. Probably happens all of the time. Put on a pair of E-series, LT tires on the rear and left the original P tires on the front. $500+ and 3.5 hours later we were back on the road to DV and some nice flower displays up in the Greenwater Valley.

BTW, no one at the Big O in Pahrump batted an eye when we came in with our cat in his cage because apparently some local guy shows up frequently with his goat.

If you had tire issues, I'd weigh the truck front and rear and make sure you're not maxing out the front "P" rated tires. I think, just my personal opinion, that the tires should be matched front and rear, as should the spare. The weight distribution of the camper will certainly have increased the weight on the front too, although maybe not enough to max out the front tires????

Agreed on having E-series tires throughout but the tires that came with the used truck only had 14,000 miles on them and it ran contrary to our naturally thrifty ways to not try and milk some time out of them. That theory obviously had some holes in it, pun intended. Our current thinking is that we will milk the next 5,000 miles out of the front P tires until it is time for a tire rotation then we will get those front tires replaced here at home. That may also be penny wise, pound foolish of course and I will probably reconsider before our next long trip to the desert. We have been convinced by this experience that it is a good idea to have two spare tires and I am trying to figure out where to add the second one to the rig so it is not constantly in the way... perhaps in the front? Anyway all of these new tires plus whatever we eventually do to beef up the suspension are additional costs that we hadn't fully appreciated when buying the truck and camper.

Since we replaced both rear tires we ended up with an extra original tire (without rim) that we schlepped back to Sacramento after dealing with it in the back of the camper for eight days. I'm not sure if there is a market for relatively lightly used tires but it seemed odd to just donate it to the Big O in Pahrump.

When I put E-series on my Tacoma, the stock tires were barely used. I sold the set on craigslist! Helped defray the cost of the new E-rated ones.

Safe travels!

FWIW, I believe that the Bigfoot A/T that we bought from Big O is made by Cooper Tire, at least that's what two different salespeople told us in two different cities. The one here in Sactown claimed that they are similar to Cooper's A/T3 which was the highest rated tire in this Expedition Portal article from late 2014 and much cheaper than most alternatives.

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

It's always best to have matching tires with 4 wheel drive. It might cost you more in the long run having mismatched tires.

Since you have 4 tires if you include your spare, Craigslist would be a great way to pay for part of the other 3 tires you need.

You will really like your camper. As all have said there are small differences, but you will modify what you have as you go and very much enjoy your time. My wife and I started much like you in 2010, ordered a new Hawk for my 2003 Tundra....went to Alaska right away for 32 days, nice break in!!! We did get the E rated tires (need them up the pipeline road) right away and added an anti-sway bar before we left.....well flash FWD I now have a 2012 F-250 with E rated tires........my hot water heater cracked cause I did not drain it properly, been that way for two years, I am pulling it this year to see if I can get my buddy to weld it and pressure test it, if not I will splurge and get a new one if I have to. Other than that, all works well. I am a fishing guide in NE MN so I use it most weekends, May-end of November, every year do our 10 days at Deer Camp in it (think snow minus 10 ) since we have been to Baja 3X, DV 2X, and planning a big 3 week trip to NE Canada next summer. Oh yeah, those quick set Derringers what are they? I was glad I purchased them, the things that connect truck to camper? Still using some of those rack plugs that Frank shared with me 5-6 years ago LOL! I took it out of my garage this afternoon and put it on the truck after a wimpy N MN winter, going for the "camping opener" this weekend for our 6th season with it

Anyhow ENJOY.

It was Jeff M that sent me caps for my rack....Frank you gave lots of good advice, among the many good people here that give ideas for how to enjoy these campers.

Back
Top Bottom