Total Noobs, doing it all wrong

Congratulations on the new camper! I have the same truck (F150 2013) and the removal of the tailgate is a 2 minute job. The camera is connected to the front via a cable connection below near the spare tire. Disconnect that plug and the tailgate can be removed. That cable, goes into the tailgate and is connected to the camera. If you plan to remove the Hawk during non camping periods, then you don't want to remove the camera. I purchased a 3rd party camera off Amazon and wired the camera to another cable that I purchased from Ford parts. You can probably go to a Ford dealer and get the part number but it is the cable that attaches to the camera and exits the tailgate with a connector to the wire loom that goes to the front of the truck. The trick to getting this to work is figuring out the which wires are the Camera + and -. I had to google around to find that wire color descriptions for mine.

It is possible to remove the existing camera from the tailgate in the logo but you will need to build some kind of bracket to mount the camera. I actually purchased a spare Ford OEM camera but couldn't figure out a good way to mount it so I resold it on eBay. The 3rd party camera was a cheap $50 version that mounts on my license plate. Works okay but not as good as the Ford version.

I have an older Eagle. A couple of thoughts. I fulltimed with a 40ft bus conversion with a Ranger pickup and Eagle as a tow rig. I heated the bus with a catalitic heater though I had 2 furnaces. The Eagle has a furnace and I like it best in the limited space of the Eagle. I don't have to worry about enough air or about something to close to the heater and I can leave it on low all night and not be to hot or cold. The bus is large enough that it wasn't as much of an issue.

3 way frig can run on the battery. I cool mine down with house current or with propane before the trip. I switch to battery because the truck charges the house battery.When I stop for the day I either shut the refer all the way off for the night or switch to propane if I want to camp longer. If you turn the frig off it will hold overnight and you don't need to be level. I also have a 85 watt solar panel. Because I don't use a lot of power except for the furnace I never have power problems.

Fantastic fan was a great choice.

Older units were 2inches of foam and there isn't a good way to make it work. I'm 65 and know you need to spend the money for the best bed you can get. I don't know if there are options for 3 inch or what but get the best.

Well here we are, Day 4 of FWC ownership, more or less ten days earlier than I had expected delivery. :)

Had the install on Tuesday afternoon which went smoothly although the walk-through at the end was way too much information, way too quickly. Plus I'm finding the "manual" that we downloaded from FWC's website to have a lot of holes for someone that has no RV experience. Had a mini-neighbor party that first evening, lots of interest naturally. We've had lunch in it a couple of times, more than a couple of beers and note that I won the first ever backgammon match in it :)

We had hoped to take it on a quick overnight to try and figure stuff out but we've got a sick cat so we're stuck in the driveway trying to work out all of the systems, what we need, etc. etc. etc. We've flushed the water system but haven't gotten any propane yet so will wait until Monday to fire up the furnace. We are using a small electric heater now that we have shore power.

We had quite a bit of rain last night and no apparent issues other than one of the exterior LED lights somehow has some standing water in it. Will probably check with FWC about that. We got the silver side exterior package which goes well with our gold F-150 although I wish there was less white trim and fewer white doors. Would have loved to have some options on the white vinyl also as I have seen on older models. The thought was to try and be less obvious when parked out in the backcountry. No big deal though.

I'm compiling bunch of questions that I may throw out here. But for now can someone please post a link to the Low-Cost Mods thread that I read a few weeks ago. My search fu must be weak with all of the excitement. Thanks! Still loving this site and the sharing. :love:
Here's a pic from Woodland during install.

It is under Camping & Outdoor Gear, I don't post often and I can't get a link to copy. Hope your cat gets better soon.

LLS said:
It is under Camping & Outdoor Gear, I don't post often and I can't get a link to copy. Hope your cat gets better soon.
Yeah, me too, he's cramping our style! I see the photo didn't go with the text above. I'll have to figure out how to do that too!

So I guess I just can't drag an image into this reply box and have it show up????

No I can't... oh well some other time.

Here it is: Installed-smaller.jpg

Attachments

• 2016_01_26_9924-sm.jpg
    2016_01_26_9924-sm.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 236
Daverave, remember when you turn on the gas for the first to light your stove first to purge the lines. When you camp with shore power, make sure the power is off at the box and then plug into the box before turning the shore power on at the box. We have a straight 30amp power cord and a surge protector purchased at Camping World. FWC should take care of the light. Good Luck. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Looks like a nice rig! When you fire up your heat, expect some burned smell from the coatings on the new furnace. It will probably set the smoke alarm off.

longhorn1 said:
Daverave, remember when you turn on the gas for the first to light your stove first to purge the lines. When you camp with shore power, make sure the power is off at the box and then plug into the box before turning the shore power on at the box. We have a straight 30amp power cord and a surge protector purchased at Camping World.
Hmm longhorn, I do not recall having that pointed out to us during our walkthrough. I'm not sure which box you are referring to here, the one at the campsite or the one in the camper?

Up to now we have just been plugging it in with a basic extension cord from an exterior grounded outlet and no problems although we plan on upgrading the cord. So do you mean that the push/pull knob in the camper's box should be on 12v power when hooking up the shore power?? Also where do you put the surge protector... outside?

Another stupid question: Do you leave the fridge open when the camper is not in use?

I believe the dealer is the source of propane for the cylinders when you buy a new camper..not FWC. They would not ship to a dealer with charged propane bottles. My dealer in Tigard said that when we pickup our Hawk it will have full propane tanks.

But as always...I could be wrong! ;)

Phil

Daverave, the box is the shore power post at the campsite. I turn the knob off and leave the fridge completely open, wipe it dry so water doesn't run everywhere.

If you buy the anywhere package the propane bottles will be full when you pick up the camper.

I'd be tempted to go with ATC if I did it all over again. Haven't been thrilled with my Eagle. Leaked propane out of the factory and now not even 6 months old seems to be leaking water through the roof. Not very cool when you spend top dollar for a brand new camper.

I've been really enjoying my FWC Fleet since I got it in November. Super easy to set up/break down. Nothing much for storage space, but I keep most of tools etc in my back seat of my Tacoma (double cab)

I assume ATC also offers fans, FWC has Fantastic fans. I got two and they move air around wonderfully. Also got the arctic pack and have camped comfortably (with furnace on) up in Flagstaff in winter.

Back
Top Bottom