Tow Missle Update

jon

Advanced Member
To answer Bobs question from another post,first I didn't make that post to knock the Cummings, and for sure Ford has had back to back miserable engines, 03 was the end of the 7.3 and I got one of the last, aside from the trans. I had no trouble with the truck, that is until that most miserable of days about 2 months ago. The motor broke a rocker arm and bent another, and made a whole lot of noise when it did it. After I got the truck back here I had a very capable diesel guru listen to the motor, he was sure it was a rocker. So I tore into the driver side first, uh oh not this side, so now I have both sides opened up and find the problem, I'm pretty busy getting ready for crabs and just park the thing for a while, besides I'm pissed at the thing, then I fall off the roof and break my left wrist, more delay. In the meantime I ask everybody I know and do a web search to see if this a common problem, well maybe if the motor has a couple a hundred thousand miles on it, but mine is no where close to that, the only thing we can think of is too much exhaust brake head pressure, so that must be it, if the brakes aren't set correctly it Can happen. After a couple of weeks, my wrist felt better and I removed the rocker ass. and push rods, and decided now would be a good time to remove the heads and get the things flowed, so I sent them to a shop in Redding who did the job, they do lots of diesel performance work, Gees those heads are heavy, really hard in and out, chucked the head bolts for studs, another almost impossible job without the cab off. Put the motor back together with all new push rods and a set of roller rockers. I still-don't have any skin on my knuckles, but the motor never ran better, I haven't towed with it yet, but I'm pretty sure my EGTs will be lower under load, and I noticed right away that the motor spools up much faster. Still have no idea what caused this to happen, after the truck was running again Dustin put it on a chassis dyno. and the exhaust brake would only make 42# of head pressure, well within the safety zone, so In the end I may never know what caused this to happen. One word of advice, if this happens to you, before you start take the cab off the truck, lifting those heads in and out of that hole can kill you.

I think the new Tundra will carry your camper, and pull the (little) boat..

Problem Solved!! :p

Where you been?, I don't want anything that burns gas, I have a 300gal. tank outside that's full of the cheap red stuff, when are you stopping by? crabs are on the menu now, in fact we killed off a nice pile of them a while ago. We fished the early opener down south for 2 weeks, we brought the boat home yesterday in some real nasty weather, seas to 20ft. and more and 35kt. of wind the whole dam way. Before we left Half Moon we decided to move some of the pots into the hold, that was a good idea, but now we have to dig them out, back to work Dec. 2, I'm so glad I get to do this one more time. EAT CRAB

Where you been?, I don't want anything that burns gas,

Jon,

I think he's suggesting an engine swap on the Toyota...

All the posts in connection with the Cummins 6.7 are interesting. I bought a diesel powered truck a few months ago. It is a deuce and a half. I have been reeducating myself from when I had a diesel boat back in the early 70s. Up until the present, I never understood much about a diesel, especially the low amount of heat produced by a diesel when idling or with very low power demand. It makes sense that a cool engine could generate more soot and extra clean fuel could reduce the build up. Exhaust gas recirculation complicated the problem.

Thanks to all for the education and I have a question. I am wondering if my present diesel truck, the Army deuce and a half, which has a multi fuel engine will have less of a problem. Presently, on account of a fluke, I am running pure 87 octane gasoline in this diesel and there is very little smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. Mind you, there is a bit less power, but it runs just fine. It makes me wonder if diluting the fuel of a 6.7 with half gasoline, maybe even 92 octane because it is cleaner burning, would reduce soot build up when the engine is in very light use. I'm not suggesting anyone do that, I am just wondering, for the sake of discussion. I simply don't know.

I've been layin low Jon. Remodeling the beach house and its kicking my arse, physically, financially, emotionally..I hope to be up that way this spring.

Saw some nice dungy's in the live tank at the buyers tonight..Dam they look good! $7 w-sale, $11 retail..Ihope your price is up....All i can think when i see those babies is steam and old bay seasoning, yuummy! Bring some down and we'll send you home with lobsters? I'd rather eat the crab anyday..

Wow, true multi fuel engine? All the posts I"ve ever read say do not run gasoline in a diesel engine. Even a little. Btw, diesel in a gas engine doesn't work so well either. Don't ask me how I know that :)

Yep. As you probably know, some diesels will run on french fry oil (filtered), waste motor oil (filtered), etc. My multi fuel engine will run on 100 percent gasoline just fine. I think it would run on grease is you could get it into the injectors. I read about a guy who was getting his waste motor oil from a Mercedes dealership where 90 percent of it was Mobile 1 and he had trouble. The only thing advised against is aviation gasoline. I don't know what the technical difference is in diesels that are multi fuel and those that are not. I do know that many over-the-road truckers are mixing waste motor oil into their fuel tanks. I think the chief reason this is not widely discussed is because people are afraid the tax collectors will get into it somehow.

All the posts in connection with the Cummins 6.7 are interesting. I bought a diesel powered truck a few months ago. It is a deuce and a half. I have been reeducating myself from when I had a diesel boat back in the early 70s. Up until the present, I never understood much about a diesel, especially the low amount of heat produced by a diesel when idling or with very low power demand. It makes sense that a cool engine could generate more soot and extra clean fuel could reduce the build up. Exhaust gas recirculation complicated the problem.

Thanks to all for the education and I have a question. I am wondering if my present diesel truck, the Army deuce and a half, which has a multi fuel engine will have less of a problem. Presently, on account of a fluke, I am running pure 87 octane gasoline in this diesel and there is very little smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. Mind you, there is a bit less power, but it runs just fine. It makes me wonder if diluting the fuel of a 6.7 with half gasoline, maybe even 92 octane because it is cleaner burning, would reduce soot build up when the engine is in very light use. I'm not suggesting anyone do that, I am just wondering, for the sake of discussion. I simply don't know.

I don't know how those multifuel engines work, but I know a little about gasoline engines and octane. I hope this helps...

Octane is a measure of gasoline's resistance to compressional ignition (a.k.a. detonation). That is, a higher octane gasoline fuel/air mixture can be compressed more without it igniting from the temperature increase which results from compressing said fuel/air mixture.

So, an engine designed for 87 octane may have an 8:1 compression ratio and an engine designed for 92 octane may have a 12:1 compression ratio. (Note these are numbers off the top of my head and don't take into account engines with knock sensors, electronic spark advance/retard and other fancy gadgetry).

My diesel,without the turbocharger, runs about 14:1 compression ratio. Just pulling out into traffic, I see a few PSI of boost. I admit that I don't know how much boost equates to a relative change in compression ratio, but there is no way I would knowingly put gasoline in my tank. With that said, I have read that some people put up to a 10% mixture of gasoline in their diesels in sub-freezing weather.

Jon..
Now There's TWO...Check out the front cover and page 49 of Diesel Power Mag.."Tow Missile", a 710hp triple-turbo Cummins Ram 3500..

Jon..
Now There's TWO...Check out the front cover and page 49 of Diesel Power Mag.."Tow Missile", a 710hp triple-turbo Cummins Ram 3500..

A measly 750hp 3 puny little turbos, just another wimpy Dodge.
http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/07/01/video-man-builds-jet-powered-2005-ford-f-150-stx-for-25000/

Attachments

• 3f3dcc3d-6de5-44ce-9ffc-d76f8565b21c.jpg
    3f3dcc3d-6de5-44ce-9ffc-d76f8565b21c.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 134
A measly 750hp 3 puny little turbos, just another wimpy Dodge.
http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/07/01/video-man-builds-jet-powered-2005-ford-f-150-stx-for-25000/

That's Great...Maybe a little rough on the guy behind you at the stop light, and I'll bet the mileage sucks...

Back
Top Bottom