Towing ski boat behind 8' Northstar in 6.4' bed Ram 2500

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

I am picking up a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 HD with the 6.4 foot bed. My camper is an 8' Northstar so I will have about a foot and a half of overhang, with the tailgate down. There is no portion of the camper that drops down below the bed of the pickup.

I tow a 20' Malibu ski boat. Pretty light (2,700 lbs loaded) on a single axle trailer. The truck has the factory 2" hitch. Hoping to avoid the whole Torklift 2 and 1/2 inch conversion. Ideas? I think using a longer ball mount like this might work.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hidden-Hitch/80232.html

Or this is an option someone else uses on the Mailbu forum

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D900.html

thoughts?

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to avoid in terms of a "conversion". The first drawbar looks to be of average drop and only slightly extended length, perhaps 4 to 6"? I have one of the multi-ball drawbars and it's something of a pain to handle and weighs a ton. I imagine you need a 12 to 15" extended drawbar with a slightly greater drop than the one pictured. I'd just back the new truck-camper combo up the the Malibu/trailer and put a measuring tape and a level to it. One caution--at 2,700 lbs your tow will need to apply 270 to 325 lbs of tongue weight. An extended drawbar levers the load rather sharply such that you may exceed a 500 lb rated tongue weight quickly. For tht reason I'd avoid the heavy multi-ball but would want a solid extended drawbar out of the 10,000 lb class parts bin.

Given the lever effect and extra weight of the camper beyond the truck bed, I’d proceed with caution regarding the handling characteristics of the truck. All of this will be introducing a fair amount of squat to the rear end and lightening up the front. At the very least you’ll probably need air bag in the rear.

veryactivelife said:
I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to avoid in terms of a "conversion". The first drawbar looks to be of average drop and only slightly extended length, perhaps 4 to 6"? I have one of the multi-ball drawbars and it's something of a pain to handle and weighs a ton. I imagine you need a 12 to 15" extended drawbar with a slightly greater drop than the one pictured. I'd just back the new truck-camper combo up the the Malibu/trailer and put a measuring tape and a level to it. One caution--at 2,700 lbs your tow will need to apply 270 to 325 lbs of tongue weight. An extended drawbar levers the load rather sharply such that you may exceed a 500 lb rated tongue weight quickly. For tht reason I'd avoid the heavy multi-ball but would want a solid extended drawbar out of the 10,000 lb class parts bin.

veryactivelife said:
Given the lever effect and extra weight of the camper beyond the truck bed, I’d proceed with caution regarding the handling characteristics of the truck. All of this will be introducing a fair amount of squat to the rear end and lightening up the front. At the very least you’ll probably need air bag in the rear.

Thanks guys. I was going to a 2500 rather than the 1500 to avoid squat. The camper is 1600 loaded with water, propane, etc. It is a pop-up, so lower center of gravity. The receiver is a class IV. So I will be cautious with all of that. Hoping to limit the levering effect by not extending too much. If I do experience squat, I will add bags.

My bet is you’re going to be fine with a short hitch extension at most, use your judgement on airbags. Make sure your safety chains are long enough.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
My bet is you’re going to be fine with a short hitch extension at most, use your judgement on airbags. Make sure your safety chains are long enough.
Yes, I meant to mention longer safety chains and a wiring harness extender will likely be required. Definitely would not go lighter than Class IV across the board. I suspect you're going to see some squat with the 1,600 lb camper wet weight + levered tongue weight on the tow. Air bags are likely the most variable and most comfortable (ride-wise) method of dealing with any squat.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom