towing

x2 - (this is probably the main reason I don't run 3" straps - they don't fit into trailer hitches as well. And almost everyone has a trailer hitch to hook to.)

Most of them are doubled over at the end so they are 1.5" wide there and they fit. If you were worried a receiver shackle solves the issue:
IPlb7tp2haB8v7wPLbJDlRH0aOdb3_oMLpscJ6WzBGagsD27L4WeBv_qE3GuZyLs6t-82RY6HvKqLq7AXeiYbZOq_t1PSrygM_zER-tBEXiWcmRrll8jGq4on78fhsxjA2d2hLB1hRMcy1pt0Ou1oWdRGrJgxTK-EiGxrsIrh9KwMKz69JttTr4

My preference is for the 2" strap. The whole reason a tow strap works so well in getting folks unstuck is because of the elastic properties of the strap. The tow vehicle takes off with some slack in the strap and the strap tightens and streches and the elasticity of the set up pulls the stuck vehicle out. The 2" straps just stretch much easier imo. This elastic property of the tow strap is what makes it far superior to the tow chain.

I'd say 95+% of the "jerk" in using a jerk strap is just the kinetic force of the moving vehicle abruptly being applied to a stationary vehicle and very little to do with the elastic aspect of the strap. The elastic aspect of the strap is just what keeps the thing from detonating under the impact force applied to it (that is what makes it far superior to a chain).

I just like the 3" strap for the safety margin when dealing with heavier rigs and for the safety margin as the thing wears some (more material needs to wear out before failing).

This would be your best bet:

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp

That is the one I would recommened as well - the cheapo stamped sheetmetal ones you find at the local stores are junk. I am not a he-man or anything and I can destroy the cheap ones with regular arm power.

The problem is, by the time you buy a come along, some chain, a few clevi, a tree protector strap, a high-lift jack, etc - you have a HUGE pile of recovery gear. Where do you put all that crap when you have a camper in the bed? A mounted winch might be a more compact easier to store option :)

Can anyone give me a linky for a manual come-along? I have Grandby and 3/4 ton, under 9000 pounds fully loaded.

If I was going to carry a cheaper cable puller for the off chance I'd need it I likely would look into a cheaper cable puller along these lines: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381726_200381726 You use the pulley to double up the capacity (that is where they get their "claimed" 4ton number) so you're down to a 4' pull before you need to reset things. It definitely has limitations and you'd be advised to be careful with the cable but this is the type of product I was talking about carrying with some shackles and pulleys to rig something up for under $100. Not a cheap magic bullet by any means but a lower cost way to get you out of some situations that you would otherwise not be able to handle solo w/o a winch. Roll with what you think is best. ;)

I carry a come-along and two straps. I also try to have an some kind of ancore incase there are no nearby trees or rocks - a shovel is usually my best bet.
Fallen trees, possibly behind me, are also a concern so I take saws and spare blades.

Good stuff, thanks!
Long ago a good northwoods man told me skills were more important than things. Solid advice and yet a few things can make a big difference. I think my next purchase is a serious tow strap. 3" x 30' sounds right? Any other advice on that item? Factory anchor points on the 2008 Tundra seem adequate, comments? I need to buy chains just so I will never need them.
The stock BFG tires did not hold up to my use; Idaho/Oregon/Nevada backcountry roads ate 'em up. In my first 12k 3 out of 4 tires flatted off the oil, one twice. I upgraded to Hankook Dynapro AT'm, way better traction and flat free on my 2nd 12k including the Magruder Corridor, White Rim Road and San Rafael Swell. I have had good luck with my Sears Craftsman 12V compressor so airing up and down is an option; it takes awhile but it is simple, small and light.

Chel,

I feel your pain on the flats. My OEM tires were crap, I blew up the first one at 1 thousand miles on the Black Rock Desert then had another flat at 10K and replaced them. Got load range E Yokohama Geolander AT's now and haven't had an issue for over 20K miles. For getting unstuck I carry a shovel, old climbing rope, tow strap, tire chains and a come along. I've used the shovel the most but the rope and come along have been indispensable on occasion. The rope has allowed me to reach distant anchors to attach the come along. Since the rope stretches and stores energy I tension it with the come along, put the truck in 4 low and drive forward (or back), if I can't get all the way out I shorten the rope and repeat. As others have mentioned good tow points are a must. I have a receiver hitch on the front and back for that purpose. We love the Swell and White Rim areas. Haven't heard of the Magruder so must check that out. Rafting the Owyhee this month, have you done that?

NEVER hook the tow strap over your trailer ball unless you want to see what a trailer ball shot out of a 30,000 lb. sling shot would look like.

Simply remove your receiver hitch and put the end of the tow strap inside the receiver hitch and reinstall the receiver pin through the tow strap loop. Secure and safe.

This is great advice I never knew. I don't know a damn thing about how to use a winch, come-along etc.

Chel,

I feel your pain on the flats. My OEM tires were crap, I blew up the first one at 1 thousand miles on the Black Rock Desert then had another flat at 10K and replaced them. Got load range E Yokohama Geolander AT's now and haven't had an issue for over 20K miles. For getting unstuck I carry a shovel, old climbing rope, tow strap, tire chains and a come along. I've used the shovel the most but the rope and come along have been indispensable on occasion. The rope has allowed me to reach distant anchors to attach the come along. Since the rope stretches and stores energy I tension it with the come along, put the truck in 4 low and drive forward (or back), if I can't get all the way out I shorten the rope and repeat. As others have mentioned good tow points are a must. I have a receiver hitch on the front and back for that purpose. We love the Swell and White Rim areas. Haven't heard of the Magruder so must check that out. Rafting the Owyhee this month, have you done that?

BillM-
Thanks for your towing gear suggestions.
Have you ever snapped an old climbing rope when you used it to extend a tow strap to reach an anchor?
I have not paddled the Owyhee River. I have traveled via 4 WD and foot extensively in the area and it is fabulous. There are multiple river forks and stretches ranging from fairly easy to death defying. I have driven to many of the access points including Three Forks. The shuttles in this country can be pretty technical. Local advice is bring extra supplies and stay put if it rains, it might take a few days for the roads to dry out enough to allow travel.
Thanks, Chel

BillM-
Thanks for your towing gear suggestions.
Have you ever snapped an old climbing rope when you used it to extend a tow strap to reach an anchor?
I have not paddled the Owyhee River. I have traveled via 4 WD and foot extensively in the area and it is fabulous. There are multiple river forks and stretches ranging from fairly easy to death defying. I have driven to many of the access points including Three Forks. The shuttles in this country can be pretty technical. Local advice is bring extra supplies and stay put if it rains, it might take a few days for the roads to dry out enough to allow travel.
Thanks, Chel

Chel,

Never snapped a climbing rope, when I tension it I don't stretch it more than 10% which is normal stretch when loaded on a lead fall. We've been in to 3 forks also, great warm springs/creek. I have heard that the roads are treacherous when wet and always carry extra food and water in case we have to wait out conditions. Thanks for the input.

Can anyone give me a linky for a manual come-along? I have Grandby and 3/4 ton, under 9000 pounds fully loaded.

My f250 w the custom front bumper is close to 10k lbs empty

My f250 w the custom front bumper is close to 10k lbs empty

I really have a hard time relying on a manual come along to pull these heavy rigs out of trouble. Maybe in some light duty situations they might be of some value. If you are stuck "hard".....and weight in excess of 10,000 pounds.....the come along will be useless.

for an anchor point, my good friend actually uses a heavy boat anchor. He swears by it. Anyone try one of those?

In an emergency situation....you could hook your cable to your spare tire and burry it for an anchor.

I really have a hard time relying on a manual come along to pull these heavy rigs out of trouble. Maybe in some light duty situations they might be of some value. If you are stuck "hard".....and weight in excess of 10,000 pounds.....the come along will be useless.

Which is the reason I am very careful NOT to get stuck. When the alternator went out last summer the tow truck had a little trouble with her weight- struggled to get it on the flatbed then it struggled up each hill on the 80 miles to the nearest dealership.. lol.

Back
Top Bottom