Toyota Tacoma back-up camera relocated

Ever since we got the camper I had been missing the backup camera. I finally did something about it. I wrote this up a while ago but never posted it. I thought someone here might find it useful. Here is the write-up:

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2012/06/relocated-back-up-camera.html

Great way to go. I bought a lower level Tacoma that did not have a camera in the tailgate - mainly because I knew I would most want the camera when the gate was off.
Then I retro fitted with license plate camera and 7" screen that sits in center consul and eats up two (of 5) cup holders - but how many bottles of beer can one be drinking at one time? ;-)
A backup camera is nearly essential - especially if you are over 60. Never leave home without it.

Great way to go. I bought a lower level Tacoma that did not have a camera in the tailgate - mainly because I knew I would most want the camera when the gate was off.
Then I retro fitted with license plate camera and 7" screen that sits in center consul and eats up two (of 5) cup holders - but how many bottles of beer can one be drinking at one time? ;-)
A backup camera is nearly essential - especially if you are over 60. Never leave home without it.

I'd be curious to see pics of your camera setup. I've seen the license plate cameras- that location seems pretty logical. My GPS is usually sitting where it sounds like your screen sits. Is the screen mounted somehow or just sitting there? I like the screen built into the rear view mirror but it is sa small picture. Another thing I would like to be able to do is turn the camera on anytime- useful for lane changes and just seeing what's going on behind.

I'd be curious to see pics of your camera setup. I've seen the license plate cameras- that location seems pretty logical. My GPS is usually sitting where it sounds like your screen sits. Is the screen mounted somehow or just sitting there? I like the screen built into the rear view mirror but it is sa small picture. Another thing I would like to be able to do is turn the camera on anytime- useful for lane changes and just seeing what's going on behind.

OK I just put three pictures in the gallery under Backup Camera in the Anything Goes category of Members. I will try to bring them over here in a reply but that may take me a while and I am off on a hike today.

OK I just put three pictures in the gallery under Backup Camera in the Anything Goes category of Members. I will try to bring them over here in a reply but that may take me a while and I am off on a hike today.

Thanks for the pics. That looks like a good workable setup. Is the camera wired into the backup light circuit or do you turn it on separately?

Thanks for the pics. That looks like a good workable setup. Is the camera wired into the backup light circuit or do you turn it on separately?

I turn it on separately. It is a little bit easier to wire it up that way. But I have found that there are times when you are going forward but want to see what is happening behind. If the camper is packed to the point the rear view mirror is blocked the camera can help some.
I did try the wireless setup but too much interference and inconsistent picture. So I went hard wire. Not fun drilling a hole in the cab of 2 week old truck.

I turn it on separately. It is a little bit easier to wire it up that way. But I have found that there are times when you are going forward but want to see what is happening behind. If the camper is packed to the point the rear view mirror is blocked the camera can help some.
I did try the wireless setup but too much interference and inconsistent picture. So I went hard wire. Not fun drilling a hole in the cab of 2 week old truck.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I installed a 120v outlet in my cab shortly after getting the new truck. It was hard to chew a hole the brand new center console but I'm glad I did. That outlet comes in handy to run the computer and the occasional tool. I'm going to modify the camper in back so I can access the outlet in the bed too.

I like the ability to turn the camera on anytime- good job.

Back
Top Bottom