Toyota Tundra Does a Titan Move: Turns to Cummins for a Diesel V-8

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Not me. I'd wait a year or two for any bugs to work out. I like Toyota, but I'd still be cautious.
I bought a 2004 Titan the first year it was out and it was solid except for the front brake rotors. At 7,000 to 8,000 miles they'd warp. Had two rotor changes before Nissan got the fix right. They told me the first one was just in interim and it would happen again. Once they had the new rotor design correct, the did a complete brake job on all four wheels. Always loved Nissans. Didn't want to sell my crew cab but it just could't carry a camper.

Going diesel is a start but are they doing anything to the frame, brakes, or tranny to make it a heavy duty truck? If not, then what's the point? Our 5.7 Toyota gasser has all the power and torque we need. I'm more interested in seeing something stronger than the current 1/2 ton set-up.

For a popup I think a 4 liter turbo diesel on a 3/4 ton frame would be the ticket. The Beast is a 6.7 turbo and is way overkill but the 3/4 ton is just right. If only!

A simple but useful mantra, at least for me, has always been: Avoid Version 1.0 through 2.0 of everything. I also faithfully avoid any restaurant's Grand Opening.

There are a lot of "new" diesels coming out in the next year or so. I personally like the Ram 3.0 but it's a half ton but the torque and mileage are attractive and would be a pretty good rig. They have 4 corner air springs too as an option. It'll be interesting to see what the other companies bring to the table.

Great engine, but wrong application.
The tundra is a low quality cheaply-made truck that deserves the cheap to build 5.7 gas that it has.
I can't imagine spending 50k on a cummins in a toyota truck.
The 2011 tundra we just sold will be our last (new-ish) toyota, would still get an old landcruiser again.
So happy the day I sold that truck.
Toyota is the new cheap car maker, low quality, tons of recalls and awful dealer service.
If they brought over their good ROTW trucks (70 series, diesel LC) they'd have been ahead of the game.
I still cannot understand why people pay so much for gas tacomas?
The old toyota reputation of good, durable, reliable vehicles is rapidly eroding, so why buy an ugly cheap plastic vehicle that isn't any more reliable or affordable than the others?

Onefin said:
Great engine, but wrong application.
The tundra is a low quality cheaply-made truck that deserves the cheap to build 5.7 gas that it has.
I can't imagine spending 50k on a cummins in a toyota truck.
The 2011 tundra we just sold will be our last (new-ish) toyota, would still get an old landcruiser again.
So happy the day I sold that truck.
Toyota is the new cheap car maker, low quality, tons of recalls and awful dealer service.
If they brought over their good ROTW trucks (70 series, diesel LC) they'd have been ahead of the game.
I still cannot understand why people pay so much for gas tacomas?
The old toyota reputation of good, durable, reliable vehicles is rapidly eroding, so why buy an ugly cheap plastic vehicle that isn't any more reliable or affordable than the others?
Tundra ratings are high in these reports. Are there reports with low ratings like you suggest ?
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02/gmc-sierra-ranks-at-top-of-jd-powers-dependability-study.html
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/10/us-pickup-trucks-makers-struggle-in-consumer-reports-reliability-study.html
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02/us-news-world-report-chooses-toyota.html
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/the-21-greatest-trucks-of-all-time.html
http://www.cars.com/toyota/tundra/2014/consumer-reviews

I just have the ratings from my own ownership of a bought new 2011 tundra double cab 4x4
Very cheap materials, all plastics feel cheap and plastiky.
That truck felt like it was going to blow up at any point.
Numerous factory recalls, drive shaft being the biggest.
Issues from day one that involved the engine and gaskets and cam towers and oil leaks, and etc.
Numerous dealers unwilling and or unable to properly diagnose and repair said problems.
Time wasted driving that truck from dealership to dealership hoping they would repair issues pointed out to them.
Dealers are filled with people barely qualified to change oil, not repair engines.
Numerous people with similar problems on various forums attempting to get their trucks fixed when they had similar issues.
Very thin metal, tinny doors, rattles, etc.
Basically felt like a 100k truck when it had 10k miles on it.
Transmission began slipping a few weeks before I went and unloaded that POS on carmax.
I have owned toyotas for the past 20 years. This was our last one.
They have sacrificed the build quality they are known for.
Sure I may have got a lemon, but why go through more pain?
I sold it the day the warranty expired.
It felt like it was made in China.
I prayed someone would steal it.

I can't say for the 2011 but my 2005 is a great pickup and I wouldn't trade it for ten Fords, Chevys or Dodges. In fact if I won a Chevy,ford or dodge in a raffle I would sell it and save the money to rebuild my truck in 20 years.

I had a 2000 tundra and it was 100% solid and trouble free for many years and miles.
I bought the 2011 based on that experience and the quality of my fj60 landcruisers, older Camry and even a tercel in high school that couldn't be killed.
Toyota changed something in the way they build the vehicles they sell in the USA, and it isn't good.

I would have gladly traded that 2011 for another fj60, 100, or first generation tundra.

Toyota in my family:

2002 Tacoma
2000 4runner one of the first to have s/c headers exhaust with 200k miles
2008 4runner
2001 Tundra
2006 Tundra
2000 Tundra

Of all those rigs not one had a major problem. Except when a tree fell on the tundra....

The Toyotas that I currently own

88 toyota xtra cab
96 four runner
2000 echo
2005 tundra DC
2008 Camery
I can't seem to get rid of one. I drive the 88 every day, and the 4 runner is my son's as soon as he shows me he passed the test to become a LPN. The Echo is my daughters, and the Camery is the wifes. My Tundra is a play vehicle. Fishing, hunting, camping, running.

All of these are older Toyotas.
Anything newer than 2008 seems to be problematic.
We have had a Toyota in our family since 1986.
We will never have another new one.
Not sure if anyone else is making better cars and trucks?
I have over 20 years and 500,000 miles behind the wheel of a Toyota under my belt.
Sad.
Keep and maintain your good older Toyotas.
I wish I had never sold my landcruisers.

My 2012 Tundra has been 100% solid over the first year and a half of ownership, and I expect it to be the same until I trade it in (hopefully) for the diesel version:) It really sounds like you're just wanting to not like the truck, which is fine - lots of other options out there for you!

I'd still go for (or look at) the new Ram diesel. About 30mpg on the freeway with all the torque, etc. you'd need, but that's my opinion and I can't afford these new diesels anyway so it's a pipe dream.

MotoDave ,
I expected to like the truck, that is why I bought it new in 2011.
I expected Toyota quality, and reliability.
I had issues with it from day one, dealerships that didn't know how to address the issues, and the thought of owning a truck with a bad past service history out of warranty.
I sold the truck to Carmax, because they don't check service records, or don't care about them.
My friend is going through a year long legal battle with BMW on a lemon law car, and I didn't want to deal with that.
I hope Toyota improves their quality, but the recent reviews and recalls don't lead me to believe that is going to happen.
I know more people that have had good experiences with Toyota than bad, so most likely I got a lemon, and I spend time at a very bad dealership trying to track down the issues.
I threw in the towel, sold the truck and bought a new sprinter.
As far as sprinter reliability goes; I am expecting the worst, and hoping for the best.
25 mpg is pretty awesome compared to 16 in tundra.
No 4x4 though.
Drives super awesome for a huge ass box.

Six Fords in the Family right now, all ages, Shapes & Sizes. FIL was head guy for Ford Tractor in the Rocky Mt Region, so since I been part of the family were only allowed to buy Ford (30 Years). Always wanted to try something else, but we take care of our Fords & they take care of us! Got 310K on an 2003 3.0 Ranger , never had to touch the drivetrain, as the Boss would say, "Born in the USA!"

Back
Top Bottom