TOYOTA TUNDRA

i agree and fitting my truck is the current mind set. It's a great rig and i really don't plan on sending it packing anytime soon so...

a longer camper on the tundra is most likely more than i want it's just me and the wife plus the 2 dogs. i can see if the family grows at all 3rd dog or future kids a bit more room would be nice.

Follow up...
Just picked up a 1991 rangerII (eagle) we're pretty happy. although a little tired after 30 hours round trip to meet up with some nice folks in bend oregon. (thanks Peter).

besides the long drive
our dog willow blowing out her ACL
Walmart parking lot
Mattress hunting
3 passes with snow

It was a great trip and the tundra handled the load great, airbags and bilstien 5100 make a huge difference in handling and there's definitely enough power. planning on a 10ply tire and should be good to go.

Really like the narrow profile of the eagle it's like having a topper on the truck rather than a camper, no complaints.

Follow up...
Just picked up a 1991 rangerII (eagle) we're pretty happy. although a little tired after 30 hours round trip to meet up with some nice folks in bend oregon. (thanks Peter).

besides the long drive
our dog willow blowing out her ACL
Walmart parking lot
Mattress hunting
3 passes with snow

It was a great trip and the tundra handled the load great, airbags and bilstien 5100 make a huge difference in handling and there's definitely enough power. planning on a 10ply tire and should be good to go.

Really like the narrow profile of the eagle it's like having a topper on the truck rather than a camper, no complaints.

Nice! Any pics? Condition? Did you get a good deal?

deals are relative with these things, was it more than i wanted to pay, yes, but it wasn't that much and it's in pretty good condition plus it's on my truck before memorial day!. My wife drove part of the way home, she was a little apprehensive about driving with the camper but once she started she forgot it was on the truck, we even had and it handled it well.

I'll try and take a few pics of it on the truck and post. pulled the sled trailer and camper this weekend and it did great.

Hey all, just a few Tundra questions.....

I was looking the other day and noticed that there is such thing as a Tundra with an 8 ft long bed. Never saw one until just a few days ago. Went to the dealer and sure enough, they do make them. rare, but available. I was wondering does anyone have one and what their thoughts on the long bed were? Worthy of a FWC? or is it just the same old problems with 1/2 pickups again. Would be nice to put my hawk on one of these and have some room to store some more gear in the bed.

I also learned the more than a 2 inch life voids the warranty on these toyotas. Is that the same with the other big three truck makers?

Thanks for your opinions,
Dave in Seattle

Hey all, just a few Tundra questions.....

I was looking the other day and noticed that there is such thing as a Tundra with an 8 ft long bed. Never saw one until just a few days ago. Went to the dealer and sure enough, they do make them. rare, but available. I was wondering does anyone have one and what their thoughts on the long bed were? Worthy of a FWC? or is it just the same old problems with 1/2 pickups again. Would be nice to put my hawk on one of these and have some room to store some more gear in the bed.

I also learned the more than a 2 inch life voids the warranty on these toyotas. Is that the same with the other big three truck makers?

Thanks for your opinions,
Dave in Seattle

That's a very common misunderstanding: a lift will ONLY void the parts it affects, not the whole truck. That much has been settled in court. Of course, if the lift stresses some parts enough, which hurts the tranny...it can be an expensive part. But that lift won't void warranty over the engine, electronics, etc.

I am thinking of buying a new Tundra 4x4 with an 8 foot long bed. It should fit my old Keystone which is 60 inches wide in the rear, provided a spacer is under the camper.

My question is what options one should order on a Tundra. I will very much appreciate opinions on the subject, along with input on what kind of discounts one should expect from manufacturers suggested retail price.

I am thinking of buying a new Tundra 4x4 with an 8 foot long bed. It should fit my old Keystone which is 60 inches wide in the rear, provided a spacer is under the camper.

My question is what options one should order on a Tundra. I will very much appreciate opinions on the subject, along with input on what kind of discounts one should expect from manufacturers suggested retail price.

4WD and the big 5.7L V8, for sure. Mine has the backup camera, which I really like. Just about everything else is standard or totally an option. I changed the tires, shocks and added airbags after getting it. I bet with Toyota's PR issues right now, you can get one for a few hundred over invoice and close to 0%. I got mine 3 yrs ago from carsdirect.com, which quotes you $500 or so over invoice and guarantees that price, no haggling and delivered to a dealer near you. Financing and trade in value are not guaranteed though.

I was on a lot yesterday and they only had two Tundras in stock. The 0% financing and $3k matching they were doing here probably sold a lot of vehicles. We have been itching to get a new Tundra also and should have pulled the trigger then. My guess is they will continue to offer deals for a while.
I agree with Brett, 4wd and the 5.7 engine. With a camper on it, the back up camera is probably a must. Skip the off-road package, you can upgrade to better shocks, tires, and probably get a set of wheels for the $3500 extra that package costs. Also skip the Limited edition. That adds almost $10k and the leather isn't a good match for wandering offroad. I prefer the front buckets with a center console, but the bench seat with fold down console is nicely done on this truck. If you have an extra $5k, throw in a supercharger!

Well here it is,

2003 toyota tundra, limited
bilstien 5100 (adjustable 2.5) and 1.5 block in the rear
firestone airbags, (40psi)
big o tire mt (10ply)

the setup handles the rangerII/eagle very nice, almost don't know it's on when driving

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 232
Well here it is,

2003 toyota tundra, limited
bilstien 5100 (adjustable 2.5) and 1.5 block in the rear
firestone airbags, (40psi)
big o tire mt (10ply)

the setup handles the rangerII/eagle very nice, almost don't know it's on when driving

Nice! Looking good.

Wow, I like that set up. How close is the gap between the camper and cab? Did you half to raise your camper to clear it? How is your mileage? I have a 97' Ranger II and I am looking to upgrade the truck from a Ranger to something with more power. This just might be the ticket. -Joel

Thanks, it fits the tundra like a glove... 2-3" from the top of the cab, bottom of the camper sits flush and no overhang on the side of the bed, meaning you don't need side window extensions.

gas mileage?? we haven't taken any extended trips, so i'm a little unsure. the truck tends to average 16-18 summer i'm sure we'll see some drop just don't know how much, hopefully the low profile wind resistance. didn't think to reset the odometer on the return trip from Bend, Or.

i'm a fan of the tundra but they are a light weight truck and need the suspension mods and 10 ply tires. i'm hoping to buy a real bumper as well the plastic oem is crap! just takes $$$

someone else mentioned the access cab and double cab (1st gen) have different bed depths, thus a double cab will require a platform under the ranger II/ eagle

That looks really good. Can you post a few more close up pics when you get a chance? I have a 2002 Tundra and have been seriously considering putting the Ranger on full time.

I know folks have talked about this in the past however i'm hoping to revive conversation...

Those who've bought campers/shells for 2000-06 Tundra's why and are you happy?
-Model and brand of camper
-How'd the truck handle the load, suspension mods (air bags, torsions bars, etc)
-Likes and dislikes of the camper and truck setup (is the std HAWK too big?)

read this:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1141/page__view__findpost__p__11770

unfortunately most toyota owners are repeat customers... i think?? I'm not saying the truck is the most reliable but i hope to put on 200,000+ and have a pretty tight truck. i like the mid sizeness of the tundra, tacoma= too small (had one), f-150= too big, tundra fits about in the middle and still somewhat nibble. i pull a couple snowmobiles in the winter and it works, but much more would be too much, it has limits.

bottom line, it working for us

anybody know of this company??? truck bumpers they look pretty tuff and the cost is doable... they make one for the 2000-2006 tundra

ken mountain ac

Attachments

• DSC03873.JPG
    DSC03873.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 126
Something i didn't know

H20 drain...
Finally figured it out... called FWC for some insight. turns out the drain on the ranger II is directly over the bed rail of the Toyota Tundra. The previous owner must have modified the drain and put in a plug which allows the camper to fit the Tundra, thankfully! so in order to access the drain i have to raise the camper, sort of a pain but it works for now. if anyone have modified their campers and relocated the drain please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom