TR: Like it, Love it, Leavitt XTC style

anutami

Thanks to Jefe4x4 Trip Report this area has been on my list of Must do trips.

Took this trip back in July and although I have a hard side TC thought this report might inspire y'all with pop ups :)

while heading out of so cal we were hammered with rain
here is the Doppler (the blue dot is me on the map), notice the red around the 395
MDnpkG8l.jpg

and here is the 395 a short while later
3quA77yl.jpg

Fighting all the rain took us a while to get out of so cal, we decided to call it a night and check out Fossil Falls
5TfHUWql.jpg

we took a short hike over to the dry falls
4fXn8apl.jpg

this place is amazing, it is a bit south of Lone Pine, CA and right off the 395, $6 a night
Tj2la4Vl.jpg

k3989Qal.jpg

did they film lord of the rings here?
Ukp63Fyl.jpg

to Bodie we went..I have to give a shout out to Torklift for the SideKick generator platform. I usually store the gen in the cab of the truck but now can keep it locked outside, and it worked great for the whole trip.
IX0cI7Pl.jpg

pay the extra $2 for the map it is well worth it
ySfoN6nl.jpg

some pics of the wild town
Wnm4aQdl.jpg

VkTdsNml.jpg

Newbie here, looks like I am limited to the number of pics...

and then onward to Leavitt Lake:
Right off pavement road sign marker

a quick call to the ranger station and some PM's to a few on the forum here gave me the courage to tackle this trail, with a hardside basement model TC

Brett jumped out to scout it out
XTC Video 1 Clicky

and up we went

XTC Video 2 Clicky

XTC Video 3 Clicky

It took about an hour to go the 3.5 miles crawling in 4Low pretty much the entire time, but Victory was ours!!! Toughest part was negotiating while several vehicles were descending.

Our campsite for the next several days :)

from the roof top of Wolfy2

the lake seemed to be all fished out...no bites nothing

but everyone seemed to have neglected the creek, we didn't even need poles as brett bare handed this one!

and netted the others. We carefully returned them to the lake and hit the trails

There are several other lakes around only about a 20 minute hike away

Ski Lake

Brett braving the 32.5 degree water (or at least it felt like it)

we pretty much had the place to ourselves during the busy summer months, but many people go to the lake during the day.
9BHTiJWl.jpg

all good things must come to an end, so we descended back home
l0kNBOIl.jpg

and the DW freaking out :)...XTC Video 4

yes she walked a lot of the way

thanks again Jefe4x4 for the trail blazed ahead, and one of the most excellent places to park a Truck Camper, and in his words
"It will be a good adventure"... and it was

Favorite pic of the trip

I didn't even know about fossil falls. Oh the shame ( Great pics. Nice to see a full size doing exploring.

Back
Top Bottom