Trailer hitches

Redwood rambler

Wanting to put a swinging gate type bike rack on the back of my Toyota Tacoma....but first need a trailer hitch...
Where do you get them?
Are they standard or of different types?
Any info muchly appreciated....

Most RV places, truck outfitters and the like have and can install good quality receiver hitches for your truck. If you can turn a wrench, you can order one and install it yourself. Don't forget you will need trailer wiring if you plan to tow anything.

Be sure and get the larger version receiver. There's a small one (1.25") and a larger one (2"). Get the 2". We actually put a step into our hitch and then put the bike rack into it. Works great (2 bikes and sometimes 4). It sticks way out the back but we put flags, etc. on it and never had a problem.

As others have stated, you can find the hitches online and most of them are easy to put on as the holes, etc. should already be there.

X2 on www.etrailer.com. Excellence in selection, pricing, and personal service geared toward making sure you're getting what you need.

I'd definitely go with a 2" receiver hitch (that's the term for the device you seek). I'd be looking at a Class III hitch since it will be rated for towing up to 6,000 lbs and more importantly for your application, a gross tongue weight of 600 lbs. While your bike rack may not come anywhere near 600 lbs when loaded, the leverage effect of any load hanging well off of the receiver tube rapidly multiplies the actual weight of the rack and bikes.

Most any receiver hitch is a straight bolt-on on most any vehicle it's designed to fit.

Foy

Oh, the other thing to look at is round tubes vs. square. I like the look of the round tubes. Sometimes too, different manufacturers hitches tuck in more to the truck. I've always had good luck with Curt but if you google for what you want, you'll find them pretty cheap some with free shipping and these things weigh quite a bit. That's the big thing with installation. You need a floor jack or someone to help you lift it up while you bolt it in.

If you buy locally check out the installed price vs install yourself. Sometimes the installed price can be very reasonable. I've done it both ways, one time (Astro Van) I wish I had paid for the install. Had to remove the bumper and bumper brackets and sandwich all pieces back with the hitch plates. I saved 50 bucks and worked through sweltering heat and mosquitoes, not worth it. Other installs were easy, so ck it out per your vehicle. As mentioned stay with the 2" receiver.

Back
Top Bottom