Train Derailment

Oh no. Jill and I were just discussing rail safety, or rather what seems like the lack of. This was while driving along the Sacramento River near Dunsmuir, CA., which experienced a catastrophic spill some years ago. Hoping the chem cars remained intact.

The sad part (there are many) is that when agencies want to transport toxic waste, etc. they claim that a derailment or other disaster could never happen (or very unlikely) to justify it. Then when it happens and people suffer from it (directly or indirectly) there are other "excuses". You can try to clean it up but really... once it's in the water what can you really do?

Just read a story in am paper..." no danger to environment"..Roflmao then " released substance will only form tar balls" geee so which is it. Of course their not being truthful.

Just watched a Frontline special on why bridges collapse. Scary stuff and its not getting better.

craig333 said:
Just watched a Frontline special on why bridges collapse. Scary stuff and its not getting better.
If that was the show about the Morandi bridge collapse in Genoa over the Polcevera River, it was an awesome show and very interesting about the hazards of concrete encased steel cable in a corrosive environment.

You’re right about it being scary stuff. I hope the earthquake driven upgrades that have been happening to Oregon bridges over the last decade or so have found any similar issues here.

Paul

well, with all the train derailments that have occurred (this one is at least the second in MT this spring) we made the decision to not buy a house near a railroad. We are 50 miles from the nearest one and two miles and 300 vertical feet above a major highway. Paranoid or good planning?

Taku said:
well, with all the train derailments that have occurred (this one is at least the second in MT this spring) we made the decision to not buy a house near a railroad. We are 50 miles from the nearest one and two miles and 300 vertical feet above a major highway. Paranoid or good planning?
Perhaps a bit of both, but you have a very valid concern. We are about 5 miles from the railroad, and I’d like it to be more.

I'm not far (mile and a half?) from a major line. Fortunately the prevailing winds go the other way but it does concern me. I cross the tracks twice a day to and from the dog park and I watch the tank cars go by every day. We also have a P&G plant nearby which manufactures solvents. Not particularly toxic I'm led to believe but extremely flammable. They also have a mini rail yard right by the plant. Trains derailing, bridges collapsing. Always something to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom