Trans American trail

adrian

Advanced Member
Has anyone travel the TAT, especially in the East. Would like to start at the beginning in the east. I know it was developed for motorbikes, but was wondering if you could travel some of it by truck & if you could travel with 4wh camper camper on the back? Have heard that the Tn. Ga. & N.C. was possible by truck. Would like to do the whole trail, in parts, if possible, some day.

As Far as I know the TAT is on forest service and other public roads. When in Colorado there are a few spots that have go arounds
Some of Oregon sounds like it gets sketchy with road closures.

I know over the last several years there has been some rerouting and several people have varying routes.

IF you got to ADVrider and the North America travel section there are usually several threads asking questions.

When I started dual sport riding I read an epic thread ride report, I would never find it now.

I have a couple friends that have ridden it.

I think If I were to do it I would take my truck and FWC and not be rigidly attached to the published route.

The "start" is or used to be in Tellico Plains, TN not far from where I live.

I drove it east from Bartlesville, OK to Virginia in a Ram 3500 carrying a camper. There are a few tight spots and one detour but the rest is totally doable.

Another Trans America Trail route is available on gpsKevin Adventure Rides. After checking out the home page, click on the Trans America Trail tab at the top of the page for detail. Note that this route is somewhat different than Sam Correro's Trans America Trail (the one in post #4).

If you scroll down to the zoomable map on the gpsKevin TAT page and zoom in, you'll see blue, green, and red routes. Blue is the main route, green is easier/bypass, and red is most difficult.

My brother and I used a gpsKevin micro-SD card in my GPS to follow the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route in my Tundra/Hawk rig in 2019. My brother's GPS (same model) had the MABDR route from ridebdr.com. The gpsKevin version was easier to see, easier to use, and had more features. NOTE: I'm comparing MABDR versions from gpsKevin and ridebdr.com. I do not know what Sam Correro's Trans-America Trail routes look like on a GPS. I'm just saying I liked what I got from gpsKevin.

Also- customer service from gpsKevin staff was excellent. I found out about the gpsKevin version on the Sunday before a departure planned for the following Saturday. I emailed on Sunday and got a response the same day. Staff happened to be out till Wednesday and would have to drive to a FedEx from their office in Escondido, California to get the card to Pennsylvania in time for my departure. I agreed to the expedited shipping and had the card on Thursday.

From my reading on the topic in the past it seems that the route is somewhat fluid. Different map sources may have different routes depending on when they mapped it and how hard they've worked to keep it updated.

Back
Top Bottom