traveling with a yellow lab

cousinjc

I have a question for those of you who travel with large shedding dogs. How do you manage to keep your camper and truck clean with all that hair? Do you travel with your large dog in or out of cage? I would like to take my dog along but he makes such a mess with all that hair. What to do?

i have two shedding dogs. awe carry a small( i thinks it's a one gallon) shop vacuum. we tidy up when we can. other than that- brush and dustpan.

- jw

Just a brush and dustpan on the road, and a damp rag to collect hair on cushions. The dog has freedom of the cab and camper. This does require the mindset that dog hair on your clothes is an accessory.

. How do you manage to keep your camper and truck clean with all that hair? What to do?

I traveled to Alaska and Newfoundland with three and some times 4, a couple that shed. I don't keep it very clean, I have an older camper and don't worry about upholstery, a rug on the floor to be shaken out. We carry a horse shed brush that not only works on the dogs but also the back seat. The truck is older and is my travel vehicle only, I don't worry about it and mostly just wait until I get home to deal with it. Bigger concerns is whether they will get sick on the 7 hour ferry ride to Newfoundland :eek: , shed brush doesn't work so well on that. Worse than that a FWC I met on the road in Colorado last month said his dog managed to tangle with a skunk very early on a month long trip :LOL: Funny if it is not your dog.

We put beach towels on the truck seats and floor, sheets on the campers cushions.
A throw rug on the camper floor. Shake it out once 'n a while and live with it.

We have a yellow lab too and I put a wool Mexican blanket over the couch where he rides, all the hair stays on the blanket. We pull it out in camp and that is his bed.

My wife and I have been traveling with Golden Retrievers for years in our FWC and also an older Airstream. A lot more fur than a yellow lab. For starters, all the vehicles we own have tan interiors, including the '99 Ford Superduty Extended Cab. The dog/dogs ride behind us with the seats folded down. We lay down a piece of foam and cover it with brown army surplus blankets we picked up at the surplus store. We shake the blankets out periodically and also use a wire bristol dog brush to clean the upholstered "bolster" below the cabs rear window. Inside the FWC, we put old flannel sheets or "dog" towels down on the benches. They can be washed and shaken out. On the floor of both the FWC and the trailer, we lay out more of the brown/tan surplus blankets. They are dense heavy wool, provide insulation on the floor and can easily be shaken out to remove dog fur, grit, dirt and sand. We've even washed them on occasion.
Beyond that, we keep a small broom handy for the camper floor and, most importantly, we don't ever where black fleece. It's the price we pay for happy demeanor, devotion and general good will.

One of the advantages of your yellow lab vs a golden is that they probably dry off quicker after a swim.

Good Luck.

TK

I have a contender for worlds hairiest dog. I put beach towels on the bench seats and on the truck seats. When camping, I constantly brush him with a Furminator which is great for getting rid of all that loose fur.

gallery_2_108_39101.jpg

If you want help from a dog or a shedding cat. Find a pet groomer in your area. Call and ask if they use anti shedding when bathing. Our lab and cat shed all the time. Since the groomer found this anti shed additive we have no more mess. It really works.

With a name like "FURMINATOR" I just had to Google it. I've been using one of these for years but I think I may have to give the old Furminator a go.

shedding-tools.jpg

Furminator looks nice but its pretty pricey. I just go "what hair?".

Yes, but it works....

Believe me, I also have a furry one...

gallery_2406_38_151469.jpg

Just a few dog pics (not my dogs).

Just samples of what I have seen.

:)

Attachments

• dog 1.jpg
    dog 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 149
  • dog 2.jpg
    dog 2.jpg