Traveling with pets

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
I have reached out to several people by PM, but when I couldn't find anything helpful when I searched I decided to post a new topic. We were without a pet for 1-1/2 years and got our FWC camper during that time. We just adopted a 5-1/2 year old yellow lab from the breeder of our last dog. Sarah just had her 3rd litter in April and they were looking for a good home for her. We gladly stepped up. We plan on taking her on some short weekend trips, once we get the dog ramp and the weather cools a bit. We have a week long trip to Vermont in October that we plan on taking her.

We have a front dinette and plan on putting her bed on the floor under the table. I plan on filling the floor area behind the passenger seat with equipment and laying her bed on the seat and on top of the stored items so she has a safe place to travel. I will now have to re-locate the large blue tote that holds my Weber Q Grill and grill items (usually travels on the rear passenger seat) to either a storage container that fits my 2" hitch, getting tote into camper, or get a smaller grill.

The main reason for this post was to get advice for traveling with a pet. Sorry for the clutter above, but I wanted to give you a picture of what we have now. I know in National Parks pets aren't allowed on the trails. Do you feel comfortable keeping your dog in the camper when you go hiking? If you are staying at sites that allow pets on trails do you take your dog hiking with you.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. John

A lot depends on the temperature and how long you will be gone. In summer here in the southwest, temperatures are usually in the 90's and 100's and I would not leave a pet in the car or camper for any length of time at all. The Gila Cliff Dwellings here in New Mexico has shaded kennels to leave pets in as you hike to the dwellings, but I don't know that many other parks have pet accomodations. I usually carry a long chain leash that enables me to leash the dog to the camper or within the camp area so I can be sure the dog won't wander if I am not there for short periods of time. I plan on having the dog accompany me on forest trails and I use a leash most of the time.

As for the actual traveling, I have an extended cab truck and I have the dog ride behind the front seats on a flat area. I have packed things back there so there is a pad I can lay a plywood bed on (with a pad) or just formed a bed with the rear 'seats' folded forward which forms a platform for the dog and his pad. I got a tote that fit in the camper that I used for the 'extra stuff' you always feel you need. When camped, the dog slept inside the camper at night in an arranged space. Keep in mind that this was with a Tacoma with a Bobcat camper and a 100 pound Heeler. It does work. It will take you a trip or two to work the bugs out, then it will go smoothly.

Hovenweep National Monument on the Utah/Colorado border allows leashed pets on trails and I think there are a few others. BLM land and most National Forests allow pets on trails as well. Check for doggie day care facilities, too; I see a lot of them around National Parks.

We take our dog Rocky with us most everywhere we go. I would second everything posted above. Common sense and consideration of others are key. We do not leave the dog in the truck in hot weather. If there are no options, we have to skip the stop. We carry a half-gallon thermos of water in the truck for the dog with a bowl so we can give him water at every stop. If he doesn't drink, we just pour it back in the thermos. We have a foldable soft kennel and bed that gives him a shady place to sleep and escape bugs. He rides in the back of our access cab Tacoma and often sleeps in there when we are hanging in camp or on a hike if the weather is conducive. He sleeps on his bed on the floor in the camper at night. The lighted collar mentioned in the REI piece is a good idea for those night excursions. Dog boots if the terrain warrants them are good if your dog tolerates them. Rocky likes them, especially in the snow. I imagine they would be good in the desert too. We have a long retractable leash and always have dog bags with us wherever we are. Having the dog along adds a lot to our trips and as long as you keep the dog's needs and those of others you meet along the way in mind it's not a problem.

I travel solo with a beagle that I got from a rescue place. He has severe separation anxiety, so I cannot leave him alone for long (truck or camper would be trashed). For that reason, I spend little time in National Parks; doing all of our camping, hiking, and backpacking in National Forest, BLM and state land. When it is hot out I tend to do my shopping in the cool of the day. When traveling we stop for gas about every 3 hours, get out to pee and stretch and do a 5 - 10 minute walk (good for both of us).

I drive a standard cab pickup so Simon rides in the front, tied into a special built 'nest' that has water, protects him somewhat in case of an accident, and protects my truck for the times I have to go to the bathroom, pay for gas, etc, and gives him room to maneuver and stand up to smell the breeze. He needs to be 'in touch' a lot while driving and this arrangement allows him to touch me without the risk of affecting my driving.

Being a beagle, Simon must be leashed at all times. When his nose is on a scent, his ears shut off. When hiking I find a retractable leash, held with a fanny pack (or backpack) waist belt leaves my hands free and Simon does not get tangled in the tether. When in camp, I do not leave him tied up away from me, especially in cougar, coyote, wolf, or bear country. He has not been trained in snake avoidance yet, something I must do.

I really appreciate other dogs we meet being on a leash. Simon does not tolerate other dogs getting close while he is on a leash.

jim

Definitely plan on taking your dog hiking with you. Here in some of the Colorado front range mountain parks your dog can be off leash as long as it under voice control. Maybe take Sarah to a dog park and see how she does with other dogs and how she does with your voice commands with all of the distractions there.

For ease of travel with a big dog I see you are prepared already with a full size crew cab truck. Hopefully your dog enjoys riding in a car....many don't. I had a rescue Great Dane that was absolutely terrified riding in my truck. Every overpass we come up to she would duck.

Finally be aware that dogs don't handle heat well....that sweating through the mouth probably wasn't the best design especially with the larger heavier breed that I have. Oh, get her chipped and/or update the info.

I gotta get my girl one these: http://leerburg.com/1197.htm?catargetid=120137120000026025&cadevice=c&gclid=CMrGrYGarsYCFQEdaQodyZgI6g

On edit, did you notice this thread:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10601-dog-heat-safety/

John, we will leave Salty (see my avatar) in the camper when it's cool, but not for more than an hour. I do open the side window and the roof vent, and it stays cool inside. One of the things that we have done in the National Parks, is exchange dog sitting with responsible and compatible folks.

Hi John, We just finished 17 months of full time living and traveling in our FWC Eagle with our 80lb golden retriever. When driving our dog had a set up like you described he laid behind the front seat on a rolled up kayak with his bed on it. He slept on the floor of the camper in his bed. Whenever we could take him with us we always did be it the market, the beach or hiking. When he could not go with us he would stay in the camper conditions depending with the top up and fan running if it was warmer conditions. When we visited the Galapagos islands we found a couple traveling like us who also had a dog to watch ours for a week. Only a few times during our travels did we find we could not do an activity because we were worried about leaving the dog alone. We had all kinds of systems worked out for feeding him and carrying water which was complicated since he eats raw meat. Alot will depend on your dogs personality but we would have it no other way then traveling with our friend.

rotti said:
Definitely plan on taking your dog hiking with you. Here in some of the Colorado front range mountain parks your dog can be off leash as long as it under voice control. Maybe take Sarah to a dog park and see how she does with other dogs and how she does with your voice commands with all of the distractions there.

For ease of travel with a big dog I see you are prepared already with a full size crew cab truck. Hopefully your dog enjoys riding in a car....many don't. I had a rescue Great Dane that was absolutely terrified riding in my truck. Every overpass we come up to she would duck.

Finally be aware that dogs don't handle heat well....that sweating through the mouth probably wasn't the best design especially with the larger heavier breed that I have. Oh, get her chipped and/or update the info.

I gotta get my girl one these: http://leerburg.com/1197.htm?catargetid=120137120000026025&cadevice=c&gclid=CMrGrYGarsYCFQEdaQodyZgI6g

On edit, did you notice this thread:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10601-dog-heat-safety/
Rotti, Thanks for your PM and the additional info. I just bought her a lighted collar with straight light or blinking. Great stuff.

Having had labs for many years...

I have found this leash to be the best bar none. When overseas, this seemed to be the favored leash for working Melonois in a non-working environment. I have had two for over five years. They have been submerged in salt water (fresh water rinsed as soon as possbile). I have never had a spring retainer clip last this long on any other leash. When considering the water environments I take my dogs, that's impressive.

I use Gun Dog Supply's reflective D-End collars. I have 2 additional ID plates made and attached to each collar. First plate is my name and addy (minus street number for our security). Second ID plate states "REWARD FOR RETURN" with lines 2, 3 and 4 our cell numbers. Third ID plate is Rabies tag info. Using the corrosion resistant plates attached to the collars eliminates nuisance rattling/noise. A SUREFIRE, will easily flash the reflective stripe from several hundred yards.

A breeder/trainer recommended years ago not to put the dog's name on the collar, and I do not. But there are equally valid reasons to do so.

I've used Dawg Tired Beds for over 10 years. We have the Navajo and Snowshoe. They go overywhere with us. Woolrich side up during winter, duck canvas side up during summer. While the cedar of the interior pillow is replaceable with more cedar, I went to a 3" thick memory foam matteress (cut to size) purchased from WalMart when my older lab developed artrutus in her elbows.

Perhaps the most important thing, and not mentioned in the REI article, a K-9 first aide kit. I carry this kit with me in the truck or wherever we go with the labs. I've added Rimadyl, surgical gloves, an Israeli Bandage (100mm x 3m) and two K-9 EpiPen® (epinephrine) for 75# dog. My Chocolate Lab nearly died due to the stings of swarming yellow jackets (she was stung so many times). She stuck her nose in their hole. I now carry EpiPens.

If I was worried about tracking my dogs (which I'm not), I'd spend $250 on a Garmin Astro K-9 collar.

Advmoto18 said:
Having had labs for many years...

I have found this leash to be the best bar none. When overseas, this seemed to be the favored leash for working Melonois in a non-working environment. I have had two for over five years. They have been submerged in salt water (fresh water rinsed as soon as possbile). I have never had a spring retainer clip last this long on any other leash. When considering the water environments I talk my dogs, that's impressive.

I use Gun Dog Supply's reflective D-End collars. I have 2 additional ID plates made and attached to each collar. First plate is my name and addy (minus street number for our security). Second ID plate states "REWARD FOR RETURN" with lines 2, 3 and 4 our cell numbers. Third ID plate is Rabies tag info. Using the corrosion resistant plates attached to the collars eliminates nuisance rattling/noise. A SUREFIRE, will easily flash the reflective stripe from several hundred yards.

A breeder/trainer recommended years ago not to put the dog's name on the collar, and I do not. But there are equally valid reasons to do so.

I've used Dawg Tired Beds for over 10 years. We have the Navajo and Snowshoe. They go overywhere with us. Woolrich side up during winter, duck canvas side up during summer. While the cedar of the interior pillow is replaceable with more cedar, I went to a 3" thick memory foam matteress (cut to size) purchased from WalMart when my older lab developed artrutus in her elbows.

Perhaps the most important thing, and not mentioned in the REI article, a K-9 first aide kit. I carry this kit with me in the truck or wherever we go with the labs. I've added Rimadyl, surgical gloves, an Israeli Bandage and two K-9 EpiPen® (epinephrine) for 75# dog. My Choiclate Lab nearly died due to a swarm of yellow jackets (she was stung so many times). She stuck her nose in their hole. I now carry EpiPens.

If I was worried about tracking my dogs (which I'm not), I'd spend $250 on a Garmin Astro K-9 collar.
Thanks, more great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom