TRD Pro Suspension - Four Wheel Camper

anonymous

Advanced Member
How does the Tundra TRD PRO suspension compare to a regular TRD Tundra as far as carrying a four wheel camper?

According to the Toyota site:

"Up front, TRD-tuned springs are matched to oversize 2.5-in. remote-reservoir Bilstein® shocks for a 2-in. lift. In the rear, we match similarly massive Bilstein® shocks to our TRD off-road leaf spring."

I imagine you still need to add airbags for example, but do you end up replacing all of that expensive suspension too? If so I would think it would not be worth paying for the Pro.

Thanks

The Toyota Suspension should be able to stay on the truck.

We installed a Hawk Model on the new Toyota Tundra TRD PRO about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I think (think?) Les Schaub installed the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags on his truck without any problems.

Camper & truck looked great, but it DID need the air bags to keep the truck level.

Stan - thanks for the response. Any pics of the Tundra? Was it a crew cab or double cab?

Is adding air bags alone sufficient for this truck, or would adding anything else advisable?

The trd pro package, at least in the Tacoma, is just bigger shocks with different valving and the front sits a bit higher. Rear leaf springs are the same as the offroad package.

The shock valving won't be the same as something off the shelf, but I would imagine it is stiffer than standard tundra shocks and will handle the weight better. The issue is the rear springs, especially where the trd pro is already lifted in the front.

Air bags will level the load for you. If you plan to off road much you might want to think about running a daystar cradle with the air bag to prevent overextended the bags. There is a member on expedition portal with this setup, not sure if he posts here or not. Whether or not you'll feel like changing to a different tire or adding a sway bar or similar will be totally up to you.

Edit: Tacovendor is the user on expedition portal, running Firestone air bags and day star cradle.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/133855-2014-Tundra-Crew-Max-Build?p=1726747#post1726747

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom