Trees - April 2017

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
This is not quite a trip report, but kind of an adventure none the less. It also points to why we like to get away so much. If we stay home, we can always come up with another project to get done...............

Trees - April 2017

Can you say "timber"?

Please enjoy. :)

Actually it must be nice to have them gone.
Safety and sun.
It's fun to watch a tree cutter at work.
We watched at a friends cabin in Dorrington as a pro lumberjack took down a 200'+ Sugar pine.
Must have been close to 200 years old.
He topped it at about 200' just the distance to the road below.
Then started to cut through the 5'+ base.
With expert cuts and a bunch of small wedges he felled it exactly on spot.
Big crack/boom then swoosh onto the slash covered ground.
What a treat to watch.
Frank

It must be something in the air, we are having five Douglas Fir trees brought down a week from Monday. They're in a tight area, so little chunks will be the norm.

GREAT JOB....

ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A PERMIT TO TAKE EVEN 1 TREE DOWN UP HERE....AND CRAZY EXPENSIVE...

HOPE YOUR REMOVAL WAS REASONABLE...

YIPPEE FOR WINTER SUNSHINE... !!!

I know a big fire hazard has been removed and you can now get more sun, but I don't know if I could be that practical. Something short circuits in me when I think about cutting a tree down. I think it's because, coming from southern New Mexico where there aren't a lot of trees, makes every one special.

I'm glad to see you got them all down safely and now you'll have plenty of firewood for winters to come.

Everyone - thanks for the kind and interesting comments. "A six lemonade job", that, longhorn1, made our day. :)

Yes, the first trees we took down around 25 years ago needed to come down in 18" rounds.

Mr. Groovy, yes, we don't take down big trees like this without lots of thought. It is amazing though how well the remaining trees really take off.

Four of the cedars the Lady wanted gone 20 years ago. I resisted. "They're only going to get bigger. Whack them when they're little!" she said.

They got much much bigger, and a lot more expensive to drop.

Burned all the remaining slash yesterday. The project is just about done. :)

making little ones out of big ones.....................................

Wood-Splitting-001-copy.jpg

Yep, did that Saturday. The appeal of splitting wood dies off pretty quick, Dealing with 30"+ rounds to start with doesn't add to it...

I have always felt it's a shame you can't store up all the heat generated from splitting wood and store it for use during the winter.
Oh well nice to get wood for the coming cold season.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom